Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Expensive electricity

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
eepee
Lemon Slice

Expensive electricity

Postby eepee » October 1st, 2021, 10:12 am

Does anybody know where these living 'well above your means' properties are?

https://news.sky.com/story/worlds-longe ... y-12422294
Fourth paragraph.

Perhaps you can make the figures work, maybe by moving the 'typo' decimal point, to reflect an already generous household consumption of about 4000kW per year, whilst maintaining the digits given. I certainly cannot.

But the point of this posting is that it makes me think - if the media are that sloppy on something I have some understanding of, what drivel am I being fed on things I know nothing about?

Reards,
ep

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Expensive electricity

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 1st, 2021, 11:21 am

eepee wrote:But the point of this posting is that it makes me think - if the media are that sloppy on something I have some understanding of, what drivel am I being fed on things I know nothing about?
ep

Comes to all of us ;)

I get more annoyed at the casual (and probably oblivious) double-counting in their claims of how it helps towards net-zero.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 1st, 2021, 12:20 pm

eepee wrote:Does anybody know where these living 'well above your means' properties are?

https://news.sky.com/story/worlds-longe ... y-12422294
Fourth paragraph.

Perhaps you can make the figures work, maybe by moving the 'typo' decimal point, to reflect an already generous household consumption of about 4000kW per year, whilst maintaining the digits given. I certainly cannot.

But the point of this posting is that it makes me think - if the media are that sloppy on something I have some understanding of, what drivel am I being fed on things I know nothing about?

Reards,
ep

Could you show your calculation?
If the interconnector supplies 1400MW, and this is spread over 1.4 million households, then each gets 1kW. This is 24kWh over one day. The average UK household electricity consumption per day is quoted as being 8kWh to 10kWh per day, although the demand will rise and fall during the day. However the 24KWh is probably a reasonable ballpark figure. So I think the figures quoted are OK.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 1st, 2021, 2:14 pm

My weekly electricity consumption averages about 60 kWh, down to maybe 53 in summer and up to 65 in winter, reflecting the amount of lighting needed. Big users are kettle, fan oven, washing machine and dishwasher. Using short cycles and lower temperature washes helps.

Gas consumption varies much more widely, of course. 1.5 Hcf in a summer week and up to 30Hcf in the depths of winter. I leave the thermostat to decide whether or not heating is required. Hot water gets brought up to temperature 3 times a day.

We used more when our family was at home and my mother-in-law lived with us.

Perhaps those high users are charging up their electric cars.

TJH

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 1st, 2021, 2:32 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Perhaps those high users are charging up their electric cars.

TJH

Possibly.

My house uses around 4kWh a day unoccupied and about 9kWh a day occupied (oven, kettle, dishwasher, washing machine, etc. being the difference), so occupied around 3,250 a year.

But plug the car in and woah, an extra 7.4kWh being consumed for up to five hours.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » October 2nd, 2021, 10:40 am

I am surprised at what commenters think are their heavy loads on electricity. I find that fridges and freezers are by far the heaviest loads, as they are on all the time. I know they are not cooling all the time, but I think people would be surprised at how much electricity they use. In our house, we use between 8 and 9kWh per day, of which one third is a fridge and two freezers.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 2nd, 2021, 10:48 am

Bminusrob wrote:I am surprised at what commenters think are their heavy loads on electricity. I find that fridges and freezers are by far the heaviest loads, as they are on all the time. I know they are not cooling all the time, but I think people would be surprised at how much electricity they use. In our house, we use between 8 and 9kWh per day, of which one third is a fridge and two freezers.

Confused.com reckon an A++ rated fridge freezer running 24/7 uses 206 kWh per year, or 0.6 kWh per day.

https://www.confused.com/gas-electricit ... ost-to-run

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 2nd, 2021, 10:55 am

swill453 wrote:
Bminusrob wrote:I am surprised at what commenters think are their heavy loads on electricity. I find that fridges and freezers are by far the heaviest loads, as they are on all the time. I know they are not cooling all the time, but I think people would be surprised at how much electricity they use. In our house, we use between 8 and 9kWh per day, of which one third is a fridge and two freezers.

Confused.com reckon an A++ rated fridge freezer running 24/7 uses 206 kWh per year, or 0.6 kWh per day.

https://www.confused.com/gas-electricit ... ost-to-run

Scott.

Dify they open the doors in those figures?

I've literally got a RHT data logger in my fridge at the moment because I'm suspicious of how it's working

-sd

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » October 2nd, 2021, 11:02 am

Having taken more notice of our electricity consumption in recent years and changing to LED lights from halogen in the kitchen (saves around £60 a year) I have noticed that cooking accounts for a very large proportion of our usage.

We eat well (but not to excess) and very little pre prepared food so the hob and cooker are used a lot. Just warming croissants takes a lot of power in a fan oven. :)

I'd guess that half of our 4,000 kWh consumption per year is cooking. The fridge and freezer use a minute amount in comparison.

Things might change as we now have a low mileage BEV, but that uses surprising little electricity and at only 5p per kWh.

regards

Howard

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 2nd, 2021, 1:03 pm

We do a lot of our cooking outside in the summer......although that idea is not going to help you out much now. Keep it in mind for next year.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 2nd, 2021, 1:05 pm

Keeping them full reduces power consumed.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 2nd, 2021, 6:32 pm

That would amaze me. The motors are, what, 100W?
Are they built-in with perhaps inadequate ventilation, or right next to the oven?
What's the temp in the fridge?

V8

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » October 2nd, 2021, 7:19 pm

88V8 wrote:

Are they built-in with perhaps inadequate ventilation, or right next to the oven?

V8

Doesn't surprise me at all. I have just looked up freezer electricity usage of new freezers on a well known website selling appliances direct (clue). The first tall freezer I looked at uses a quoted 314 kWh per year, and a smaller under-counter freezer uses 226kWh per year. Add to this a small fridge using a similar 200kWh per year, and I don't think my "one third of 8-9kWh per day" is very wide of the mark.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 2nd, 2021, 8:56 pm

Us off-grid boat dwellers are highly sensitised to energy usage, and the fridge soaks up the lion's share of the power our solar panels generate. Or our engines or generators.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 2nd, 2021, 8:57 pm

Mike4 wrote:Us off-grid boat dwellers are highly sensitised to energy usage, and the fridge soaks up the lion's share of the power our solar panels generate. Or our engines or generators.
Don't you hook up at your marina(s)? C.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 2nd, 2021, 9:04 pm

csearle wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Us off-grid boat dwellers are highly sensitised to energy usage, and the fridge soaks up the lion's share of the power our solar panels generate. Or our engines or generators.

Marinas? Spit spit. They are for the uncommitted lightweights!

Shanty towns like caravan sites. There is a hierarchy amongst boaters, don'tcher know??

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 2nd, 2021, 9:20 pm

Mike4 wrote:
csearle wrote:

Marinas? Spit spit. They are for the uncommitted lightweights!

Shanty towns like caravan sites. There is a hierarchy amongst boaters, don'tcher know??
Do you just "park" the thing(s) where they can be overtaken then?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 2nd, 2021, 11:06 pm

Mike4 wrote:There is a hierarchy amongst boaters, don'tcher know??

Floaters at the top? Or is that only for gloaters?

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 3rd, 2021, 7:58 am

88V8 wrote:

V8

It's always amazed me how freezers are usually kept in a heated kitchen.....surely that means they have to work a lot harder ? We keep ours in an unheated room.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 3rd, 2021, 10:06 am

richlist wrote:
88V8 wrote:

V8

It's always amazed me how freezers are usually kept in a heated kitchen.....surely that means they have to work a lot harder ? We keep ours in an unheated room.

Used to be quite common for a fridge freezer to only have a thermostat in the fridge, meaning that being in an environment between the targets of a fridge and freezer would mean the freezer didn't freeze. There was subsequently advice to keep them in areas of the house that were heated in winter; not sure the reasons for why were always sufficiently understood.

-sd

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”