Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Early Warning Notice - No Quantity Surveyors

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Early Warning Notice - No Quantity Surveyors

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 11th, 2021, 8:23 pm

There's a huge shortage of quantity surveyors in the building trade.

And it's going to get worse as I am planning to retire in just under five years time.

Please can you keep this information to yourselves. If the government find out they may do something about it and I'd have to go and work as a lorry driver instead to earn the same money :lol:

AiY

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Re: Early Warning Notice - No Quantity Surveyors

Postby Rhyd6 » October 12th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Oooh AiY this may be the reason that my SIL who is also a QS has been given a large pay rise by his employer and a sweetener not to take early retirement, and he thought that they just liked his company :lol:

R6

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 12th, 2021, 5:09 pm

It's an awful thought. All over the country, great piles of desperately lonely quantities, just lying around waiting to be surveyed. :| The shame of our nation. Please give generously.

OTOH, the only quantity surveyor I've known since the days of Ethel the Aardvark is doing rather well. He never seems to be short of a new Range Rover. ;) Nice lad, I'm pleased for him.

BJ

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » October 12th, 2021, 5:27 pm

One chap I worked for liked to employ QSs from Norfolk, reckoned the extra fingers and toes gave them a competitive advantage over the main contractor

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » October 18th, 2021, 2:58 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:There's a huge shortage of quantity surveyors in the building trade.

And it's going to get worse as I am planning to retire in just under five years time.

AiY

Is there? I think there's at least three of us on Lemonfool alone.
I also plan to retire in about 5 years time. When we're gone, I don't who is going to survey all those quantities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnPy9inVnqg

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » October 18th, 2021, 10:31 pm

Gaggsy wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:There's a huge shortage of quantity surveyors in the building trade.

AiY

, I don't who is going to survey all those quantities.

Our Prime Minister told you at the weekend. Under his rule Britain is becoming a country of highly paid, valuable, superbly educated people who will work at jobs that are highly rewarding, stimulating and not manual He also added that productivity is going up, thanks to things like automation, AI and......
So I'd like to introduce you to photogrammetry, the technique by which computers combine pictures to see articles and having seen them are able to extract useful information without human input. (At this point I shoul;d point out that I use photogrammetry to create models from which I develop 3D printed models. My wife's feet for instance so that the computer can print orthotic aids since one leg has painful gait problems)

Britain is investing in Protector drones that will fly over Britain at high altitudes and see all those quantities just lying there, count them, assess their usefulness and direct them to the right destination in time for a lorry to turn up.

one has to wonder why, in the decades since the first commercial flight flew from Heathrow to Glasgow without human intervention (including takeoff and landing why we still have pilots. Indeed the accident statistics point out that the primary cause of plane crashes;when it isn't the Russians shooting them down; is the crew.
It's several years now since the experiment on platooning and autonomous lorries drove 2000 miles across Europe , each platoon on a different route.Why didn't our politicians seize the opportunity to blame the Automotive authorities, the public etc for resisting platooning so strongly, the fastest way for us to cut 30% off the lorry transport carbon footprint rather than simply blaming lorry drivers?
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/lorr ... congestion
Could it be that they actually need 100,000 jobs to justify importing another 100,000 migrants to provide jobs for the people ?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 18th, 2021, 10:40 pm

vagrantbrain wrote:One chap I worked for liked to employ QSs from Norfolk, reckoned the extra fingers and toes gave them a competitive advantage over the main contractor

Ah, but East Anglians have webbed fingers and toes, which can introduce errors

gvonge
Lemon Pip

Postby gvonge » October 19th, 2021, 10:31 am

Where's Ethel the Aardvark when you need her?

https://youtu.be/PPouuA0KMO4

olbasoil

Postby olbasoil » November 6th, 2021, 7:49 pm

SimonS wrote:(At this point I shoul;d point out that I use photogrammetry to create models from which I develop 3D printed models. My wife's feet for instance so that the computer can print orthotic aids since one leg has painful gait problems)

For some reason I'm unable to post direct messages. I'd like to ask you a question about 3d models. Can you message me?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”