Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

PO Scandal

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: PO Scandal

Postby swill453 » February 15th, 2022, 8:30 pm

The (long) Private Eye article from last year summarising the story so far is here https://www.private-eye.co.uk/pictures/ ... e-post.pdf

Some of the case studies are heartbreaking.

And it's obvious that obfuscation and coverups at the highest level were still going on very recently.

Scott.

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » February 26th, 2022, 12:18 pm

I have been following this case for some time but have only just seen this thread on TLF. So I apologise if this has already been said. The inquiry has been going for a fortnight and the sessions are been shown live on YouTube and all the earlier sessions are available. They are chilling, heartbreaking and moving. I hesitate to recommend these YouTube videos apparently for entertainment value but they make for compulsive viewing. Several participants are clearly uncomfortable in giving evidence but they make the point that they hope that more sub post masters and mistresses can be persuaded to come forward. Of particular note (in my opinion) are

Seema Mistra, day 10, AM
Chris Trousdale, day 7 AM
Kevin Palmer, day 8 PM
Scott Darlington, day 4 PM

Some might find these videos too upsetting to watch. They can be found by typing "youtube post office inquiry" into Google.

Cinelli

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 26th, 2022, 1:13 pm

I suspect there are those within the PO hierarchy and elsewhere who are grateful to Putin for knocking this business off the front pages. I hope to God, it has no effect on finding those responsible and bringing them to account.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 26th, 2022, 1:33 pm

Yes this is a sad situation.

I had an interest as I previously did error investigation and human factors investigations. This was normally around mistakes that resulted in accidents or incidents.

This appears to be more of a cover up but I suspect that it is unlikely that named individuals in either the software or post office management side of things will be revealed.

I think that Joe public would like to see someone, preferably a few someone's in the Dock.

The first couple of postmasters found wanting might have been a mistake but at some point it became something much different. I'm not sure if any of this would be illegal although morally wrong but there might be some court cases where the testimony under oath can be identified as incorrect.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 26th, 2022, 2:29 pm

Leothebear wrote:I suspect there are those within the PO hierarchy and elsewhere who are grateful to Putin for knocking this business off the front pages. I hope to God, it has no effect on finding those responsible and bringing them to account.

Hmm. Do you think our Prime Minister is cursing the fact that these two distractions (from himself, obviously) are running concurrently? Or perhaps he's just glad that those of his friends who are implicated in the PO scandal will pass largely-unnoticed?

Gerry557 wrote:This appears to be more of a cover up but I suspect that it is unlikely that named individuals in either the software or post office management side of things will be revealed.

Individuals have been named and shamed many times by the journalists who have followed the story over many years:
- Computer Weekly, who broke the tech side of it
- BBC, who have supported an investigative journo on the case and some great reporting
- and above all, Private Eye, who have named and shamed not just top figures at the Post Office, but also some very senior (including cabinet level) politicians and others.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 26th, 2022, 3:10 pm

As I've mentioned previously, I'm surprised this didn't show up on the books. Surely if postmasters were 'paying back' money that wasn't missing in the first place it would have been flagged up by the accounting systems?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 26th, 2022, 5:40 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:As I've mentioned previously, I'm surprised this didn't show up on the books. Surely if postmasters were 'paying back' money that wasn't missing in the first place it would have been flagged up by the accounting systems?

I answered this on the previous page. The postmasters were literally not given access to the system which was telling them money was missing. And it was missing because Horizon had invented phantom transactions because it didn't understand its own messaging system.

Paraphrased "You've sold 10,000 stamps but only have the money for 5000 stamps, you must have stolen the rest. No, you can't see our proof".

Scott.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 26th, 2022, 6:36 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Leothebear wrote:I suspect there are those within the PO hierarchy and elsewhere who are grateful to Putin for knocking this business off the front pages. I hope to God, it has no effect on finding those responsible and bringing them to account.

Hmm. Do you think our Prime Minister is cursing the fact that these two distractions (from himself, obviously) are running concurrently? Or perhaps he's just glad that those of his friends who are implicated in the PO scandal will pass largely-unnoticed?

Gerry557 wrote:This appears to be more of a cover up but I suspect that it is unlikely that named individuals in either the software or post office management side of things will be revealed.

Individuals have been named and shamed many times by the journalists who have followed the story over many years:
- Computer Weekly, who broke the tech side of it
- BBC, who have supported an investigative journo on the case and some great reporting
- and above all, Private Eye, who have named and shamed not just top figures at the Post Office, but also some very senior (including cabinet level) politicians and others.

When I said revealed, I meant as named in the Dock or even less likely, behind bars!

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 26th, 2022, 8:37 pm

Gerry557 wrote:When I said revealed, I meant as named in the Dock or even less likely, behind bars!

I do agree.
But sometimes the bigger the crime the less likely one is to be prosecuted.
Mainly though the govt and the PO will get away with it because the leftie media and the twitterati really don't care a hoot.

If some of the ethnic minority Postmasters became more visible something might happen.
Maybe Sadiq Khan will get involved. After all he used to be a human rights lawyer. Perhaps he could do something useful for a change.

V8

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 26th, 2022, 9:58 pm

88V8 wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:When I said revealed, I meant as named in the Dock or even less likely, behind bars!

I do agree.
But sometimes the bigger the crime the less likely one is to be prosecuted.
Mainly though the govt and the PO will get away with it because the leftie media and the twitterati really don't care a hoot.V8

Private Eye is rightie media then? really ?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 27th, 2022, 12:17 pm

didds wrote:Private Eye is rightie media then? really ?

Well, they tend to be right about more "sensitive" and "difficult" matters than other media. Hence punching above their weight in stories like the PO scandal.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 27th, 2022, 12:29 pm

I don't see PE as being left or right. Just attempting to shine a light on anything that is wrong. They of course do get things wrong themselves, but I sense no political agenda, unless a "lets show how rubbish the govt are" is a political agenda in itself no matter who the govt is.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » February 27th, 2022, 2:13 pm

as an ex IT systems designer/programmer , the first thing that sprang to mind was IT faults.

many , many IT systems have bugs , large and small .

the idea that so many postmasters would be committing fraud was just raving .

:x

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 27th, 2022, 4:27 pm

jackdaww wrote:the idea that so many postmasters would be committing fraud was just raving .

The latest BBC report just a week or two back found (among other things) what may be the ultimate story there. From - I forget where, I think it was northwest England.

Postmaster in trouble, commits suicide. Family of course devastated.

Unconnected man buys the business and in just a few months finds himself in trouble too (but thankfully he's still alive to be interviewed). Same bloomin' post office! Of course they also told him he was the only one ...

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 27th, 2022, 5:41 pm

jackdaww wrote:the idea that so many postmasters would be committing fraud was just raving .

But the only people who knew it involved "so many postmasters" were actively covering up that fact, and maliciously blaming the individuals.

Scott.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » February 27th, 2022, 11:27 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

The latest BBC report just a week or two back found (among other things) what may be the ultimate story there. From - I forget where, I think it was northwest England.

Postmaster in trouble, commits suicide. Family of course devastated.

Unconnected man buys the business and in just a few months finds himself in trouble too (but thankfully he's still alive to be interviewed). Same bloomin' post office! Of course they also told him he was the only one ...

This was reported on last weeks BBC Radio 'File On Four', well worth a listen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014g0q

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 28th, 2022, 10:14 am

didds wrote:
88V8 wrote:...the leftie media and the twitterati really don't care a hoot.

Not by my definition ;)
But they are an honourable exception.

V8

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 28th, 2022, 1:06 pm

88V8 wrote:
didds wrote:

Not by my definition ;)
But they are an honourable exception.

V8

maybe because they choose not top align with any political ideology. radical idea.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 28th, 2022, 1:44 pm

didds wrote:maybe because they choose not top align with any political ideology. radical idea.

Not that radical. A plague on both your houses goes back a few years ...

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 28th, 2022, 2:21 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
didds wrote:maybe because they choose not top align with any political ideology. radical idea.

Not that radical. A plague on both your houses goes back a few years ...

Indeed. I was being ironic :-)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”