Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Water under the bridge?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Water under the bridge?

Postby DrFfybes » Today, 1:53 pm

According the the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0dem8v7epzo Liv Garfield, the chief Exec of Severn Trant, was renumerated £3.2M last year despite pollution inceidents rising by over a third from the previous year.

Now some people think this is an outrageous amount, however I beg to differ.

I think she should be paid £5m. However we should deduct minimum wage for each hour the company discharges sewage throughout the year, which in 2023 amounted to nearly 450,000 hours.

Which basically means that if she doesn't pull her socks up she gets bugger all, which I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't object to.

Thoughts on penalty related performance pay packages welcome :)

Paul

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Water under the bridge?

Postby Gerry557 » Today, 2:14 pm

Well there is basic pay and bonuses.

Hopefully the bonuses are a result of good performance and not some simple metric like having two sentences in the annual report.

I sure there are some customer's who would like them to have a couple of sentences but they might have to wait as the prisons are full :o

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » Today, 2:38 pm

If the water is under the bridge, you pass that very water when you cross the bridge.

Food (or drink?) for thought!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » Today, 2:41 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:If the water is under the bridge, you pass that very water when you cross the bridge.

Food (or drink?) for thought!

Or if, as Heraclitus claimed, "you cannot step into the same river twice", then those allegedly polluted rivers were a different river, and the CEO is a different man:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

tp33

Postby tp33 » Today, 2:53 pm

Seems to me that bridging the gap between exec compensation and reality could be achieved through performance-related pay that reflects actual outcomes, good or bad, as suggested above. This could reasonably apply to fund managers and IFA’s too. I would be much happier to share out-performance if losses were shared as well, to focus minds. You would hope that senior people with confidence in their own expertise would be willing to sign up to such a scheme - perhaps they are not quite as clever as they keep telling us!

To

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » Today, 3:17 pm

tp33 wrote:Seems to me that bridging the gap between exec compensation and reality could be achieved through performance-related pay that reflects actual outcomes, good or bad, as suggested above. This could reasonably apply to fund managers and IFA’s too. I would be much happier to share out-performance if losses were shared as well, to focus minds. You would hope that senior people with confidence in their own expertise would be willing to sign up to such a scheme - perhaps they are not quite as clever as they keep telling us!

To

They only need to be just clever enough to convince the millions of people who invest through them.

Paul

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » Today, 3:22 pm

tp33 wrote:Seems to me that bridging the gap between exec compensation and reality could be achieved through performance-related pay that reflects actual outcomes, good or bad, as suggested above. This could reasonably apply to fund managers and IFA’s too. I would be much happier to share out-performance if losses were shared as well, to focus minds. You would hope that senior people with confidence in their own expertise would be willing to sign up to such a scheme - perhaps they are not quite as clever as they keep telling us!

That is not how it works though. If I am in the running for a CEO job then I expect a 7-figure salary. Otherwise I am not taking the job.

So yes, my total comp depends on performance as much of it is bonus or stock options. But there are always things I cannot control that can lead to bad outcomes. That means lower bonuses and stock options, but why would I risk losing my salary simply because of events?

Same for fund managers. We know that at least 50% are doomed to under-perform. But that doesn't mean you can pay that half peanuts. You pay a 7-figure salary for the possibility of success; not for the guarantee of it.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”