Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Seen in the Co-op...

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Seen in the Co-op...

Postby jfgw » April 26th, 2022, 6:17 pm

Vegan Meat Balls.

I'm confused.

I can work out roughly what they are, but how can they be called "Meat" balls?

Given that they must be vegetable-based or mushroom-based (or a bit of each), why are they not called, say, "Vegetable Balls" or "Fungus Balls"?

Would a vegan want to eat something with "meat" in its name?

Julian F. G. W.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Seen in the Co-op...

Postby Lootman » April 26th, 2022, 6:21 pm

My understanding from those vegan friends I have not already disowned is that they most enjoy the "beyond meat" series of meat substitutes which allegedly have the taste and texture of meat.

Which of course begs the question of why they would not just eat meat given that, according to at least some sources, the meat substitutes are actually less healthy!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 26th, 2022, 6:23 pm

A vegan once told me that people who sell meat are disgusting.

I said people who sell fruit and vegetables are grocer...

Cheers!

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 26th, 2022, 6:34 pm

jfgw wrote:
Would a vegan want to eat something with "meat" in its name?

Ah, but that's only a major consideration if the target market was actually vegans...

If the target market is really meat-eaters, who might be looking to introduce some healthier eating into their regular diet, then it might begin to make much more sense commercially...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 26th, 2022, 6:49 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:If the target market is really meat-eaters, who might be looking to introduce some healthier eating into their regular diet, then it might begin to make much more sense commercially...

Except that there is some evidence that the meat-free "meat" is actually less healthy than real meat.

Oops.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 26th, 2022, 6:58 pm

Lootman wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
If the target market is really meat-eaters, who might be looking to introduce some healthier eating into their regular diet, then it might begin to make much more sense commercially...

Except that there is some evidence that the meat-free "meat" is actually less healthy than real meat.

If what you're saying is that commercially, an idea of something might not quite reflect the underlying reality, then you'll find no arguments from me, other than to perhaps ask if those selling it might really care all that much so long as the idea finds the market that they're aiming for...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 26th, 2022, 7:49 pm

How do know if someone is vegan
Wait 10 minutes and they will tell you :lol:

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 26th, 2022, 7:55 pm

Lootman wrote:My understanding from those vegan friends I have not already disowned is that they most enjoy the "beyond meat" series of meat substitutes which allegedly have the taste and texture of meat.

Which of course begs the question of why they would not just eat meat given that, according to at least some sources, the meat substitutes are actually less healthy!

Possibly they object to meat on animal welfare grounds rather than taste, and crave a juicy steak or bacon sarnie...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 26th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Lootman wrote:My understanding from those vegan friends I have not already disowned is that they most enjoy the "beyond meat" series of meat substitutes which allegedly have the taste and texture of meat.

Speaking as someone not vegan but who last ate meat in the early 1990s, my heart sinks when I see veggie food that pretends to be meat. It's generally a poor substitute for anything you'd want to eat, and tell of a lack of imagination on the part of the chef[1].

Though possibly not highly-processed things like meat balls or burgers whose whole raison d'être is to be stuffed full of additives irresistible to kids. Mmmm, monosodium glutamate ...

[1] There are up-and-coming non-pretend-meat veggie dishes that provoke a similar reaction: uninspiring tokenism. For instance, a whole lot of pub dishes featuring butternut squash as centrepiece, joining the original nut roast on my avoid if possible list (just short of the avoid-absolutely list like veggieburgers).

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 27th, 2022, 2:45 pm

Going O/T a bit, but I understand from t'interweb that there's something called vegan wool. It's wool from a sheep that's never felt the cruel exploitative hand of man, apart from the fact that he shamelessly bred its ancestors for the maximum yield. (The bastards. :evil: )

Apparently, vegan wool is dead wool. Wool from a sheep that died in its sleep, preferably out on some lonesome Welsh hillside where only the wind would howl its sorry lament. Of course, you might decide to try and object that all wool is dead as soon as it emerges from the sheep's skin, but don't you get all clever-clever with me, sonny. We mean double dead. Green dead. Wild dead. Ethically and responsibly sourced dead. Rotting in a ditch dead. With only the crows to pick its corpse. The bastards. :|

Alternatively, of course, there's plastic wool made from dead dinosaurs, or cotton or flax yarn that's been hand-picked by seven year olds. It's a tough gig, having principles.

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 27th, 2022, 3:07 pm

jfgw wrote:why are they not called, say, "Vegetable Balls" or "Fungus Balls"?

Fungus Balls? Nothing to be embarrassed about. I think you can get some ointment from the chemist. ;)

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 27th, 2022, 3:47 pm

Polyester underwear.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 27th, 2022, 7:51 pm

I think that the best preventative measure is a kilt and no underwear.

Julian F. G. W.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 27th, 2022, 8:08 pm

jfgw wrote:I think that the best preventative measure is a kilt and no underwear.

Julian F. G. W.

Private Widdle? Is that you?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 27th, 2022, 11:37 pm

because some vegans have an issue with the taking or even use, of an animal's life for food/clothing/whatever. That doesn't preclude the enjoyment of a particular texture obviously.

didds

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » April 28th, 2022, 11:42 am

bungeejumper wrote:Going O/T a bit, but I understand from t'interweb that there's something called vegan wool. It's wool from a sheep that's never felt the cruel exploitative hand of man, apart from the fact that he shamelessly bred its ancestors for the maximum yield. (The bastards. :evil: )

Apparently, vegan wool is dead wool. Wool from a sheep that died in its sleep, preferably out on some lonesome Welsh hillside where only the wind would howl its sorry lament. Of course, you might decide to try and object that all wool is dead as soon as it emerges from the sheep's skin, but don't you get all clever-clever with me, sonny. We mean double dead. Green dead. Wild dead. Ethically and responsibly sourced dead. Rotting in a ditch dead. With only the crows to pick its corpse. The bastards. :|

Alternatively, of course, there's plastic wool made from dead dinosaurs, or cotton or flax yarn that's been hand-picked by seven year olds. It's a tough gig, having principles.

BJ

For modern breeds isn't shearing so that it is cooler in the hot summer actually good for the animal ? Wouldn't leaving such an animal "untouched" actually be inflicting cruelty ?

https://fibershed.org/2019/07/11/shearing-and-welfare-why-are-sheep-sheared/

Shearing is crucial to sheep’s health, as a large animal veterinarian will tell you. Dr. Jen Burton, a vet with 10 years of experience specializing in the health and welfare of sustainable livestock, explains “I can’t imagine a veterinarian suggesting that wool be left to grow on a domestic sheep, because that would put the animal at risk for overheating, discomfort and disease. The animal would also be at increased risk for skin disease and parasites. Over time, unshorn wool could eventually impede movement.” Sheep can overheat and die in the summer months if not shorn, and become the target for parasitic species such as ticks, lice, mites, and the maggots that cause fly strike, a gruesome and even deadly condition. Shearing provides both prevention and treatment of any of these infestations.

Even when there is no market for a rancher’s wool, or the market value is too low to justify bothering to sell it, ranchers still pay to shear their sheep. It’s part of the seasonal cycle of caring for livestock and in turn the agricultural landscape; it’s part of keeping their sheep healthy and alive, and the cost of doing business.

Without shearing, overgrown wool can even develop into “wool blindness” which is a condition that impairs the animal’s sight —and because sheep are prey animals, their sight is necessary for survival. If shearing is neglected, sheep become so heavy with wool that they have trouble walking or running, their ability to graze becomes compromised, and they cannot keep up with the flock for protection, or run from predators. Shearing is also critical to the survival of lambs, particularly in longwool breeds whose lambs need to quickly find their mother’s teats to nurse — sadly, lambs can die of starvation when there is too much wool in the way.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » April 28th, 2022, 11:53 am

I'm allergic to wool. Would it be possible to genetically modify sheep so they grew polyester?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 28th, 2022, 12:09 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:For modern breeds isn't shearing so that it is cooler in the hot summer actually good for the animal ? Wouldn't leaving such an animal "untouched" actually be inflicting cruelty ?

https://fibershed.org/2019/07/11/shearing-and-welfare-why-are-sheep-sheared/

Oh, indeed. Who could forget poor Baarack? https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... 5kg-fleece

It goes further than that. If you leave a Friesian cow un-milked, it'll suffer very unpleasant pain and it might even die. Whereas most other breeds will simply dry up and carry on pretty much as normal. Not everything vegans say is nuts. ;)

BJ

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 28th, 2022, 12:15 pm

didds wrote:

because some vegans have an issue with the taking or even use, of an animal's life for food/clothing/whatever. That doesn't preclude the enjoyment of a particular texture obviously.

Fair enough, but there are also humane ways to rear and feed animals, and prepare them for consumption. So if the concern is moral rather than health, the solution isn't necessarily avoiding meat but simply being more selective about meat. isn't that what the whole "free range" movement is about?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 28th, 2022, 12:42 pm

Lootman wrote:Fair enough, but there are also humane ways to rear and feed animals, and prepare them for consumption. So if the concern is moral rather than health, the solution isn't necessarily avoiding meat but simply being more selective about meat. isn't that what the whole "free range" movement is about?

clearly not to vegans, who have a zero tolerance, black and white, binary approach AIUI. Its their call after all.

didds

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”