Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Sartorial elegance question

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Sartorial elegance question

Postby MonsterMork » November 10th, 2016, 6:03 pm

A handfull of Fools have met me at a couple of socials back in the day at the Grafton Arms. They will no doubt recall that I am one of them unhinged hippy biker types, all denim, leather, long hair and a beard to make GrOw proud. Surprisingly, however, I do scrub up reasonably well, and a proper dressed up suit actually fits me where it touches. Ask ISWP, occasional inhabitant of the snug at TMF, as she has seen me thus, so it must be true!

Anyhoo, I find myself with tickets for the last night of King Lear at the Old Vic :-) Naturally I shall be making the effort and donning the old hatches, matches, despatches gear. Question is, should a chap wear a buttonhole to such an esteemed occasion? If so, what colour, variety, big, small, etc? Should my lady companion for the evening (my landlady as it happens, who is also a damn good friend) also be wearing either buttonhole or corsage? Should they be matching? Any advice folks?

MM

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Sartorial elegance question

Postby PinkDalek » November 10th, 2016, 6:23 pm

MonsterMork wrote:A handfull of Fools have met me at a couple of socials back in the day at the Grafton Arms. They will no doubt recall that I am one of them unhinged hippy biker types, all denim, leather, long hair and a beard to make GrOw proud. Surprisingly, however, I do scrub up reasonably well, and a proper dressed up suit actually fits me where it touches. Ask ISWP, occasional inhabitant of the snug at TMF, as she has seen me thus, so it must be true!

Anyhoo, I find myself with tickets for the last night of King Lear at the Old Vic :-) Naturally I shall be making the effort and donning the old hatches, matches, despatches gear. Question is, should a chap wear a buttonhole to such an esteemed occasion? If so, what colour, variety, big, small, etc? Should my lady companion for the evening (my landlady as it happens, who is also a damn good friend) also be wearing either buttonhole or corsage? Should they be matching? Any advice folks?

MM

Hello MonsterMork,

King Lear you say. I think you are meant to wear a Crown of Flowers but what would I know.

Here are some ideas where, appropriately enough, "Goat's Beard" is mentioned:

http://www.shakespearesengland.co.uk/20 ... king-lear/

I'd probably go for a red poppy.

PD

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 10th, 2016, 7:07 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I'd probably go for a red poppy.

Might look a bit weird 3 weeks after Armistice Day.

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 10th, 2016, 7:23 pm

swill453 wrote:

Might look a bit weird 3 weeks after Armistice Day.

Scott.

A valid point but I'm guessing Mork will know the error of my ways, as he'll know the date of the performance. Clearly I didn't but you knew that ...

Can you come up with an answer for him?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 10th, 2016, 7:31 pm

PinkDalek wrote:A valid point but I'm guessing Mork will know the error of my ways, as he'll know the date of the performance. Clearly I didn't but you knew that ...

A couple of seconds Googling told me the last night of the run is the 3rd December.

PinkDalek wrote:Can you come up with an answer for him?

Only that it wouldn't occur to me in a million years that any kind of floral decoration was needed when going to the theatre.

Maybe it's the kind of shows I go to. Or lack of class, or something.

Scott.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 10th, 2016, 7:48 pm

If you sit next to someone with hayfever they'll spend the evening sneezing.

V8

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » November 10th, 2016, 8:32 pm

I am from a forces background, so a poppy at any time is good for me And swill, no, I only need a teensy bit of product from Interflora, not the whole shop :o I think Miss Jackson may have enough flowers to last a lifetime after the curtain closes :lol:

Seriously though chaps (and chapesses), wot is a poor old hippy to do in such circumstances? I ain't done the theatre since I was fifteen, so dress code was hardly on my mind at the time. Thirtyfive years on I may have grown up a bit! Ooh, hark at me, being all adult an' everyfink!

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » November 10th, 2016, 10:10 pm

MonsterMork wrote:I am from a forces background, so a poppy at any time is good for me And swill, no, I only need a teensy bit of product from Interflora, not the whole shop :o I think Miss Jackson may have enough flowers to last a lifetime after the curtain closes :lol:

Seriously though chaps (and chapesses), wot is a poor old hippy to do in such circumstances? I ain't done the theatre since I was fifteen, so dress code was hardly on my mind at the time. Thirtyfive years on I may have grown up a bit! Ooh, hark at me, being all adult an' everyfink!

Wear what you like. If you wear a buttonhole you'll probably be the only one.

I usually wear slightly smart casual. But only because that's what MrsDM wears.

DM

cavebat
2 Lemon pips

Postby cavebat » November 10th, 2016, 10:25 pm

MonsterMork wrote:I am from a forces background, so a poppy at any time is good for me And swill, no, I only need a teensy bit of product from Interflora, not the whole shop :o I think Miss Jackson may have enough flowers to last a lifetime after the curtain closes :lol:

Hi MM

TBH I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid if you turned up in jeans and a t-shirt. If you really want to wear a suit then fine, but I wouldn't bother with a buttonhole, unless you're in the Royal Box. ;)

^^(..)^^

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 11th, 2016, 4:34 pm

Haven't been to theatre, Shakespeare style, for a few years, but last time I don't recall seeing any suits other than those who had obviously come straight from work and the theatre staff.

Same when going to lighter theatrical events, or classical concerts at the South Bank.

I don't think that many are bothered any more.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » November 11th, 2016, 4:57 pm

We sent to see King Lear at RSC (matinee performance). Close enough to watch what was happening but far enough away for the actors not to see us. (Generally, when the lights are down, actors can only see the first few rows of an audience.)

Dressing up to go the theatre is not my scene but Mrs Bnc has a thing about me not looking complementary to her so I make an effort: I wore a sweater, shirt and dark casual trousers, but since I kept my over jacket on for the entire performance I dressed more for travelling than the arrival.

I read that most people going to the theatre in London nowadays wear smart casual clothes, probably also see a few people wearing jeans. My answer to the op would be to decide whether dressing up for yourself, or your companion, or the actors (including respect for Mr Shakespeare), or dressing up because it's the Old Vic.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 12th, 2016, 8:27 am

Slarti wrote:Haven't been to theatre, Shakespeare style, for a few years, but last time I don't recall seeing any suits other than those who had obviously come straight from work and the theatre staff.

If I see someone in a suit, I jump to a natural conclusion.

An Estate Agent.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » November 12th, 2016, 10:34 am

Thanks folks. Smart casual don't work for me I'm afraid, I genuinely don't have any "casual" clothes, don't even own a pair of jeans! My wardrobe consists of bike leathers, dressed up suit, or british military surplus. My standard look is what would best be described by Nora Barry as "crumpled" :D

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » November 15th, 2016, 6:42 pm

A suit will be fine, MonsterMork, but a buttonhole would be wrong. Buttonholes are for festive outdoor daytime occasions.

T

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » November 16th, 2016, 12:03 am

Thanks T :)

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » December 5th, 2016, 10:31 am

Well that was an eye opener, and not just the performance! Seems that jeans and jumpers are the preferred choice of theatre-goers these days :? Not sure how many seats there are in the Old Vic, perhaps 1200? By my estimation only about 10% were wearing a suit or some kind of "proper" formal attire. I doubt anyone would have noticed if I had turned up in my leathers and cut-off! Is this the way of things in the West End as well, or just peculiar to the Old Vic? Does no-one dress up proper for a night at the theatre any more?

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » December 5th, 2016, 9:34 pm

MonsterMork wrote: Is this the way of things in the West End as well, or just peculiar to the Old Vic? Does no-one dress up proper for a night at the theatre any more?

We went to see Dustin Hoffman in The Merchant of Venice at the Phoenix theatre in Charring X Rd way back in 1989.
As far as I remember, the audience was made up of celebs, luvvies and joe public and it was, back then, about 50/50 between slovenly and hob nob. I was the former before you ask. 8-)

This is a more up to date opinion on theatre dress code https://www.londontheatredirect.com/post/595/dress-code-does-it-matter-what-you-wear-to-the-theatre.aspx

panamagold

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 6th, 2016, 11:27 am

MonsterMork wrote:Well that was an eye opener, and not just the performance! Seems that jeans and jumpers are the preferred choice of theatre-goers these days :? Not sure how many seats there are in the Old Vic, perhaps 1200? By my estimation only about 10% were wearing a suit or some kind of "proper" formal attire. I doubt anyone would have noticed if I had turned up in my leathers and cut-off! Is this the way of things in the West End as well, or just peculiar to the Old Vic? Does no-one dress up proper for a night at the theatre any more?

It's not the norm to dress up for it any more, I wear jeans mainly.

I think it's a symptom of theatre being more 'accessible', aka cheaper. We live miles from London and usually drive to an outlying Tube station to travel in and no way am I sitting on the Tube for half an hour each way plus having to navigate car parks in outer London in a ball gown, having already driven an hour and half to get to the Tube.

The article [linked to in the post following MM's] makes good points about dress codes effectively putting people off going to the theatre, and they struggle enough for audience without putting more constraints in the way.

Having said that, when we go, if there are people dressed up, I do think it's nice.

I love to go to the theatre, though I can't remember when I last went to an actual play, they always seem to have quite short runs and by the time I hear about them it's too late to book. Last trip was to the Chinese Opera and it was great.

Mel

hermit100
Lemon Pip

Postby hermit100 » December 6th, 2016, 12:31 pm

MonsterMork wrote:Does no-one dress up proper for a night at the theatre any more?

No I don't think anyone does unless it's the opera or the ballet, then they tend to turn out in full evening wear. Even for a matinee.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 6th, 2016, 1:38 pm

hermit100 wrote:
MonsterMork wrote:Does no-one dress up proper for a night at the theatre any more?

No I don't think anyone does unless it's the opera or the ballet, then they tend to turn out in full evening wear. Even for a matinee.

Good grief! I've been an opera lover since my 'teens, as well as an amateur performer. I might just put on long trousers rather than shorts, but you still get the T-shirt and sandals. I think that's typical. We tend to have a bit of a quiet laugh at anyone doing a peacock act.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”