Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

My Chimp's Name

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

My Chimp's Name

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 14th, 2022, 10:46 am

Professor Steve Peters refers to an online community as a troop.

In 2012 Steve released his first book called The Chimp Paradox.

Steve has had great success supporting Steve Gerard, Victoria Pendleton, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Chris Hoy and other sportsmen and sportswomen.

Since his first book Steve has released three more. I've not read them.

In his first book, The Chimp Paradox, Steve simplifies and identifies areas of our brain. One area is The Human. Another is The Chimp. There are other parts, but not many. Steve suggests that our Chimp is the back part of our brain which during our evolution developed first. The front area which evolved later is The Human.

Steve explains what The Chimp and The Human do and how they interact. He also sets out a course for the reader to develop their own strategies to improve seven areas of their life

1. Your inner mind
  2. Understanding and relating to others
  3. Communication
  4. The world in which you live
  5. Your health
  6. Your success
  7. Your happiness
It's probably a very dangerous place for me to venture into by suggesting you buy the book and read it. So I won't. I'll discuss my own opinion of the book. I've found parts of the book very helpful. But until my mental health problems were brought under management, which has only been very recently, much of the book hasn't been of use to me. A broken mind, just like a broken leg, needs to be fixed before it can carry out its function.

One particular part of the book, or should I say my interpretation of this, discusses The Chimp's behaviours. For example Chimps will make assumptions without having any real supporting facts. They make spontaneous decisions which could be costly. On the flip side Chimps can think and react so much faster than The Human. They control our fight, flight or freeze instincts. Chimps are useful then. My Chimp is part of me. But it isn't me.

Steve has set out a way to understand the complexities of our brain. He explains it far better than I could here. This is an 18 minute video and when it initially starts it appears to be complicated. However, be patient as it really does develop into something quite simple to understand and it may give you an insight into the contents of his books, if you want to consider reading one or all of them. Books or courses aside the video is still well worth 18 minutes of your time in my somewhat humble opinion.

Steve suggests that we should name our Chimp. I've elected to call mine "Sleepy". However, "Sleepy" can often be "Grumpy".

I'm not trying to sell Peter or his products. Simply sharing.

I opened this post referring to an online community as a "Troop". Steve writes "Don't forget to engage support from your troop. They can offer objective advice and encouragement, provided you ask them for this"

Would you agree with the name I have selected for My Chimp? Or do you have a different name that you feel is more befitting based, obviously, on the limitations of this forum.

AiY(D)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”