Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

I don't think Wally is a wally

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

I don't think Wally is a wally

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 27th, 2022, 3:59 pm

How to move heavy weights [really heavy weights] with one man

Perhaps a clue as to how Stonehenge was built?

Poor quality video but amazing nonetheless

AiY(D)

marronier
Lemon Slice

Re: I don't think Wally is a wally

Postby marronier » June 27th, 2022, 5:09 pm

It can't be proved but I imagine that with so much timber around , it wouldn't be much problem to use wood "rails" with poles lashed to the stones and liberal use of hot animal fat , then they could slide the stones with relative ease . They were mathematically proficient so they could apply brain to reduce reliance on brawn alone.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: I don't think Wally is a wally

Postby bungeejumper » June 28th, 2022, 11:22 am

Another account of this principle, this time by a Welshman (who, admittedly, doesn't seem to have actually tried lifting more than a third of a tonne :D ). The mechanics of this device are explored in detail - but as the first illustration shows, the secret is to have a ten foot giant supervising your team, and a minuscule wizard who can stand safely on the see-saw without needing to worry about getting killed if it goes wrong. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57639510

I'd always understood that the art of getting your stone pillar upright into the ground was relatively simple - you just dug a deep hole and tipped one end of your stone over the edge, and pulled it over the fulcrum with a rope, and gravity did the rest? But I'm reminded of some older research into the mechanics of shifting stones for long distances. Using wooden sleds on rollers, they found that a team of 10 men could move a one tonne stone at 1 mph for extended periods. https://www.sciencealert.com/it-turns-o ... ment-finds . And that similar sled set-ups have been dated back to 2000 BC in Japan.

At university, I was once part of a nine-man team that lifted a half-tonne grand piano off a three foot stage, down onto the auditorium floor. It was doable, but it was at the very limit of what a human should sensibly attempt. (It's only around 55 kilos/120 pounds each, but the slow and careful descent down to ground level was the killer.) I'm built like a wrestler, but it had me bothered. And I have been haunted ever since by the thought of what would have happened if even one of us had lost his footing during the lift? Coulda killed some of us. :shock: Respect to those ancients!

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”