Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Is it a Harry or a Sussex?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
SimonS
Lemon Slice

Is it a Harry or a Sussex?

Postby SimonS » March 13th, 2023, 6:35 pm

A friend was telling me of his problem: his neighbour has insisted that he needs to cut down trees in his garden to give his neighbour a view of the horizon. At a social meeting he mentioned this to one of the other guests and it turned out that several of them had got similar demands from the same people. He was told not to worry about it, the next step would be a plea based on the fact that the woman of the household was suffering from OCD from the lack of view while the husband suffered from depression from not being able to offer a solution to his wife's increasing instability.

The suggestion would be made that since these two were 'mentally unwell' it was the social duty of my friend to comply with their request and that otherwise the village would know how lacking he was in compassion, and his name would be made mud at the Tennis Club. Indeed, the next day he got a polite letter to this effect

The general consensus was that these two were "doing a Harry", though some insisted that as there were a pair of them involved it was a "Sussex".

Which do you think is the correct usage?

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Is it a Harry or a Sussex?

Postby didds » March 13th, 2023, 8:05 pm

I think the tennis club should STFU.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 14th, 2023, 11:36 am

One for the circular filing cabinet. If the neighbour wants to have his neuroses coddled, there are better ways of going about it than sending out pseudo-threatening letters to the neighbourhood. In fact, the letter itself would probably be considered harassment in its own right. :|

I'm assuming that the friend's account is reasonably accurate, of course, and not "enhanced" too much. ;) We all try to exercise a bit of neighbourly give and take for the sake of sociability, but chopping back your trees is a strictly voluntary act until an official complaint (or application) lands on the doormat.

FWIW, of course, many mid-sized garden trees can't be lopped without a preservation permit. Fruit trees tend to be exempt from the requirement, but my daughter's thirty foot cherry tree in suburban Manchester couldn't be touched. Just saying.

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 14th, 2023, 5:31 pm

SimonS wrote:A friend was telling me of his problem: his neighbour has insisted that he needs to cut down trees in his garden to give his neighbour a view of the horizon. At a social meeting he mentioned this to one of the other guests and it turned out that several of them had got similar demands from the same people. He was told not to worry about it, the next step would be a plea based on the fact that the woman of the household was suffering from OCD from the lack of view while the husband suffered from depression from not being able to offer a solution to his wife's increasing instability.

The suggestion would be made that since these two were 'mentally unwell' it was the social duty of my friend to comply with their request and that otherwise the village would know how lacking he was in compassion, and his name would be made mud at the Tennis Club. Indeed, the next day he got a polite letter to this effect

The general consensus was that these two were "doing a Harry", though some insisted that as there were a pair of them involved it was a "Sussex".

Which do you think is the correct usage?

But was there a recent time when he 'could' see the horizon, but the growing trees have now cut off the view. In that case, I may have some sympathy.

If not, well, I'm no lawyer, but having to cut back your trees because your neighbour suddenly wants to see the horizon is one of the silliest reasons I've heard. Years ago, it would have been laughed out of court. However, these days, nothing makes sense any more. :?

There's also the legal precedent that it could set.

Will 'seeing the horizon' become a human right?

Maybe you should complain that he shouldn't draw his bedroom curtains before 11pm, so you can have a view of his wife undressing? 8-)

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 15th, 2023, 8:43 am

stevensfo wrote:Maybe you should complain that he shouldn't draw his bedroom curtains before 11pm, so you can have a view of his wife undressing? 8-)

Indeed. "Just for old times' sake?" That'll give his complexes something to work on. :twisted:

BJ

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » March 15th, 2023, 9:45 am

stevensfo wrote:
But was there a recent time when he 'could' see the horizon, but the growing trees have now cut off the view. In that case, I may have some sympathy.

I

Steve

These people have cut down all the mature trees in their garden, having moved into a property surrounded by trees in other people's gardens. Indeed one suspects that their motivation is more about the potential increase in value of 'having a view' ( perhaps appropriate on an investment board) than any psychological problem they may have.

"This increased the natural light on his property's rear patio, the court heard.

Three experts said the work had increased the property's value, by between £20,000 and £100,000. "
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-49841149

The real issue is the abuse of 'mental health' as an excuse and the resultant fatigue shown by large numbers of people to the claims made by the "pity " businesses from BLM to Dog's Trust to UNICEF

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 15th, 2023, 11:39 am

SimonS wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

I

Steve

These people have cut down all the mature trees in their garden, having moved into a property surrounded by trees in other people's gardens. Indeed one suspects that their motivation is more about the potential increase in value of 'having a view' ( perhaps appropriate on an investment board) than any psychological problem they may have.

"This increased the natural light on his property's rear patio, the court heard.

Three experts said the work had increased the property's value, by between £20,000 and £100,000. "
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-49841149

The real issue is the abuse of 'mental health' as an excuse and the resultant fatigue shown by large numbers of people to the claims made by the "pity " businesses from BLM to Dog's Trust to UNICEF

Good God! I know that Brits have a reputation for being obsessed with house prices, but forcing others to chop down more trees in order to increase their house price is just ......!! :evil:

Yes, there are certain words, expressions and rhetorical tricks that can be used to create sympathy out of thin air. Who cares if it's true or not?

Maybe your neighbour has a severe phobia of trees and is partially disabled, ever since he climbed a tree as a child to escape a paedophile and fell out of it while trying to feed an injured bird and rescue a kitten at the same time? (Pause as jury gasps in amazement). Now he has to try and survive, surrounded by people who behave as if it were Germany in the 1930s! ;)

You should be ashamed of yourself for not offering to chop down all trees between his house and the horizon! :lol:

Steve

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 15th, 2023, 2:20 pm

stevensfo wrote:You should be ashamed of yourself for not offering to chop down all trees between his house and the horizon! :lol:

Steve

wouldn't it be easier to chop the neighbour down instead>?

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » March 15th, 2023, 4:41 pm

stevensfo wrote:Maybe you should complain that he shouldn't draw his bedroom curtains before 11pm, so you can have a view of his wife undressing? 8-)

Noooo! Not if she's like my neighbour. It'll give you nightmares for sure.

Some things you just can't 'unsee'.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 15th, 2023, 4:56 pm

didds wrote:
stevensfo wrote:You should be ashamed of yourself for not offering to chop down all trees between his house and the horizon! :lol:

Steve

wouldn't it be easier to chop the neighbour down instead>?

Not if it's an endangered species. You may get into trouble.

But in this case, I'd contact the council dept for vermin. The neighbour probably falls into the same category as rats and wasps.

Steve

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » March 15th, 2023, 6:35 pm

stevensfo wrote:Maybe your neighbour has a severe phobia of trees and is partially disabled, ever since he climbed a tree as a child to escape a paedophile and fell out of it while trying to feed an injured bird and rescue a kitten at the same time? (Pause as jury gasps in amazement). Now he has to try and survive, surrounded by people who behave as if it were Germany in the 1930s! ;)

You should be ashamed of yourself for not offering to chop down all trees between his house and the horizon! :lol:

Steve

You are Gary Lineker in disguise, and I claim my £5.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 15th, 2023, 8:57 pm

Bminusrob wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Maybe your neighbour has a severe phobia of trees and is partially disabled, ever since he climbed a tree as a child to escape a paedophile and fell out of it while trying to feed an injured bird and rescue a kitten at the same time? (Pause as jury gasps in amazement). Now he has to try and survive, surrounded by people who behave as if it were Germany in the 1930s! ;)

Steve

You are Gary Lineker in disguise, and I claim my £5.

Well, since the OP pointed out the ways in which people can be manipulated by the language used, I thought it appropriate to use part of Gary Lineker's original twitter post. The fact that among the tabloid press and rants from various MPs, it was almost impossible to find his original words was, very sad but also enlightening. Thus the frustration of various politicians and tabloid press that their North Korean-type lies and disinformation have been exposed.

Meanwhile, we have trees and a horizon to deal with.

Any chance of moving the horizon? 8-)

Steve

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » March 16th, 2023, 10:41 am

OP should find out if these neighbours are members of the Flat Earth Society.
If so, OP is only fulfilling a compassionate moral obligation to protect them from seeing the horizon.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 16th, 2023, 1:23 pm

stewamax wrote:OP should find out if these neighbours are members of the Flat Earth Society.
If so, OP is only fulfilling a compassionate moral obligation to protect them from seeing the horizon.

It may be that the neighbour has friends in high places?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/security-flan ... 39044.html

If only some councils would show the same enthusiasm for mending potholes and cleaning drains!

Disgusting! :evil:

Steve

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”