Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go aaarrrggghhhh thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Things that make you go aaarrrggghhhh thread

Postby swill453 » April 27th, 2023, 5:11 pm

XFool wrote:https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=585673#p585673

Doesn't look like it's pronounced the same...

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 28th, 2023, 12:30 am

Does nobody else look at the cost per volume/weight prices ?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 28th, 2023, 8:07 am

didds wrote:Does nobody else look at the cost per volume/weight prices ?

Always have done. I do it on autopilot, and have to make a conscious effort if I buy the more expensive item - e.g. a smaller jar of something, 'cos the particular item is expected to take a very long time to consume.

Over our lifetimes, we've seen this kind of thing become mandated by law in many areas. For example, interest rates being expressed as APR, or metric measures (where applicable) on food.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » April 28th, 2023, 8:10 am

As a general rule course I do, but when buying a tube of Pringles... :?:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 28th, 2023, 9:34 am

Dicky99 wrote:As a general rule course I do, but when buying a tube of Pringles... :?:

Oh, I certainly do. I start with the weight of the Pringles themselves, then I deduct the weight of the salt, the cooking fat, the empty carbs, and I calculate that what's left is costing me more per gramme than I probably think. Then I look at the unrecyclable foiled cardboard packaging, and then I buy something else. ;)

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 28th, 2023, 9:59 am

That reminds me of the thing that makes me go aaarrrggghhhh every time I go shopping at Tesco. The shelf label has the price per 100g (or whatever) of the product, but only for the full price. If it has a yellow label reduced price, they don't redo the calculation. Why the xxxx not? it would give customers useful information, rather than useless.

For example 550g of cheese @ £4.50 or 82p per 100g. Reduced to £3.50.

Now how do you compare that with a different cheese, of a different weight, which says 75p per 100g?

Yes I know it's not impossible with mental arithmetic or a calculator, but why have they bothered to put the effort in to give a useless number?

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 28th, 2023, 10:36 am

bungeejumper wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:As a general rule course I do, but when buying a tube of Pringles... :?:

Oh, I certainly do. I start with the weight of the Pringles themselves, then I deduct the weight of the salt, the cooking fat, the empty carbs, and I calculate that what's left is costing me more per gramme than I probably think. Then I look at the unrecyclable foiled cardboard packaging, and then I buy something else. ;)

BJ

Isn't that a rather long way to reach such an obvious conclusion?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 28th, 2023, 10:47 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:.....I deduct the weight of the salt, the cooking fat, the empty carbs, and I calculate that what's left is costing me more per gramme than I probably think. Then I look at the unrecyclable foiled cardboard packaging, and then I buy something else. ;)

Isn't that a rather long way to reach such an obvious conclusion?

Of course. It's a slow Friday, and it's nearly coffee time. I think I'll go and make a crisp sandwich. 8-)

BJ

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 28th, 2023, 10:51 am

bungeejumper wrote:...Then I look at the unrecyclable foiled cardboard packaging, and then I buy something else. ;)

But that packaging is perfect for storing unused Polyfilla, a product which has to be kept dry, but now comes in a cardboard box with no inner plastic bag. Arrrgh.
Of course the box is recyclable and the plastic bag wasn't, and if stored in the shed the product hardens and becomes useless so you have to buy more, so that makes it a win win, or something. :?

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 28th, 2023, 10:56 am

88V8 wrote:But that packaging is perfect for storing unused Polyfilla, a product which has to be kept dry, but now comes in a cardboard box with no inner plastic bag. Arrrgh.
Of course the box is recyclable and the plastic bag wasn't, and if stored in the shed the product hardens and becomes useless so you have to buy more, so that makes it a win win, or something. :?

So you're having a slow day as well? ;)

BJ

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » May 2nd, 2023, 12:11 pm

The now ubiquitous shower gel. Difficult to rinse off. Wasteful and always in a plastic container.

WTF is wrong with using a bar of soap?

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 2nd, 2023, 12:37 pm

One of my big irritations is companies who write to you with "noreply" email addresses. I need to contact them, but they then don't allow you to reply to their email. Invariably one has to go to their website and FAQ's and go round the houses 3 times there, before, if you are lucky, eventually finding a contact email or telephone number. The way I see it, if they can email me, then I should be able to email them in reply! It all makes me feel like, in some, way blocking no reply emails.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 2nd, 2023, 12:39 pm

richfool wrote:

Go to the top of the food chain
https://www.ceoemail.com/

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 2nd, 2023, 3:07 pm

Leothebear wrote:The now ubiquitous shower gel. Difficult to rinse off. Wasteful and always in a plastic container.

The bar of soap slips out your hand and drops at your feet. In a steamy shower without your glasses you struggle to find it, then you step on it and slip, and bang your head. Hopefully there will be someone to take you to your nearest hospital accident and emergency department. :shock:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 2nd, 2023, 3:18 pm

scotia wrote:
Leothebear wrote:The now ubiquitous shower gel. Difficult to rinse off. Wasteful and always in a plastic container.

The bar of soap slips out your hand and drops at your feet. In a steamy shower without your glasses you struggle to find it, then you step on it and slip, and bang your head. Hopefully there will be someone to take you to your nearest hospital accident and emergency department. :shock:

I agree with Leo: hate crap that's hard to rinse off (including the stuff we've been supposed to use on the hands these past three years or so). Perhaps you should use a different soap: something a better shape to hold, and less slippery? And is that hard or soft water?

But each to his own. If you like to come out of the shower all slimy, that's your business.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » May 2nd, 2023, 3:24 pm

scotia wrote:

Heard of soap nets?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/soap-net/s?k=soap+net

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 2nd, 2023, 3:26 pm

scotia wrote:The bar of soap slips out your hand and drops at your feet. In a steamy shower without your glasses you struggle to find it, then you step on it and slip, and bang your head. :shock:

Anyone who's ever worked in an A&E department can give you a catalogue of reasons as to why falling onto a slippery, steamy bar of soap can result in the soap finding its way into unexpected places. :shock:

Hopefully without sniggering. But whatever you do, don't use an electric toothbrush in the shower. That's a bit harder to explain. :D

BJ

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 2nd, 2023, 5:37 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I agree with Leo: hate crap that's hard to rinse off (including the stuff we've been supposed to use on the hands these past three years or so).

Err... You weren't supposed to rinse that off. :)

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 2nd, 2023, 6:31 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
scotia wrote:The bar of soap slips out your hand and drops at your feet. In a steamy shower without your glasses you struggle to find it, then you step on it and slip, and bang your head. :shock:

Anyone who's ever worked in an A&E department can give you a catalogue of reasons as to why falling onto a slippery, steamy bar of soap can result in the soap finding its way into unexpected places. :shock:

Hopefully without sniggering. But whatever you do, don't use an electric toothbrush in the shower. That's a bit harder to explain. :D

BJ

It's weird. The wife's electric toothbrush needs charging far more often than mine, despite them both being the same model and being bought at the same time.

I think I'll take hers back and complain.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » May 2nd, 2023, 6:52 pm

Tedx wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Anyone who's ever worked in an A&E department can give you a catalogue of reasons as to why falling onto a slippery, steamy bar of soap can result in the soap finding its way into unexpected places. :shock:

BJ

It's weird. The wife's electric toothbrush needs charging far more often than mine, despite them both being the same model and being bought at the same time.

I think I'll take hers back and complain.

Before you return it, have you wondered why hers needs charging more frequently than yours?

I would suggest that the reason may be that her toothbrushing routine is more thorough than yours. Are you sure you're brushing your teeth sufficiently thoroughly?

There may be other causes but I don't seem to able to think of any right now. :shock:

Watis

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”