Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

ULEZ charge

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: ULEZ charge

Postby DrFfybes » September 14th, 2023, 9:57 am

From Elsewhere....

"According to Sadiq Khan you lot in your old diesel and petrol cars are killing people by driving into London.

However if you give him £12.50 when you drive in then apparently the sick and dying can go f*** themselves."

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 14th, 2023, 11:42 am

DrFfybes wrote:From Elsewhere....

"According to Sadiq Khan you lot in your old diesel and petrol cars are killing people by driving into London.

However if you give him £12.50 when you drive in then apparently the sick and dying can go f*** themselves."

Is that his choice? Would a total ban be within his powers as mayor, for instance? Enforcement almost certainly wouldn't.

In any case, the premise is nonsense. Just as it's not the first but the last straw that broke the camel's back, what kills people is the cumulative filth of many vehicles. If his charge deters a proportion of polluters then fewer people will be killed.

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » September 30th, 2023, 10:30 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:From Elsewhere....

Is that his choice? Would a total ban be within his powers as mayor, for instance? Enforcement almost certainly wouldn't.

In any case, the premise is nonsense. Just as it's not the first but the last straw that broke the camel's back, what kills people is the cumulative filth of many vehicles. If his charge deters a proportion of polluters then fewer people will be killed.

Except that the evidence is that the effect of ULEZ in improving air quality in the wider zone is neglible, and the system is grotesquely flawed anyway. We have a vehicle which has had an engine replacement caused by a cylinder head failure. We installed a new, compliant engine, registered with the DVLA and promptly got a ticket. The system works on the date of registration of the vehicle and not on the type of engine fitted to the vehicle, . When the manufacturer has used up the stock of old engines but there are old models still in production, they use the new engines which is why one often finds that one's vehicle has a different set of spares from the standard quoted in the handbooks.

Has Khan changed from the armoured, petrol driven Range Rover that weighs more than a motorhome yet?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 26th, 2024, 8:10 pm

A cute idea about how housing bat boxes on camera poles can thwart the deployment and maintenance of ULEZ cameras:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Khan.html

And apparently over 1,000 ULEZ cameras have been stolen in the last year. Whoever would do such a thing? ;)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » March 26th, 2024, 10:24 pm

It does seem unfair.

I recently drove about a mile into the London ULEZ zone and, later the same day, out again and the charge was £12.50. I could have spent all day driving around Central London for the same ULEZ charge. If I had entered the zone at 23:59 and left two minutes later, it would have been £25. If I had remained just outside the zone but upwind of it, there would have been no charge. If I had eaten six brussels sprout and baked bean vindaloos the night before and had entered Central London by public transport, there would have been no ULEZ charge.

Julian F. G. W.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 26th, 2024, 10:58 pm

jfgw wrote:It does seem unfair.

I recently drove about a mile into the London ULEZ zone and, later the same day, out again and the charge was £12.50. I could have spent all day driving around Central London for the same ULEZ charge. If I had entered the zone at 23:59 and left two minutes later, it would have been £25. If I had remained just outside the zone but upwind of it, there would have been no charge. If I had eaten six brussels sprout and baked bean vindaloos the night before and had entered Central London by public transport, there would have been no ULEZ charge.

Julian F. G. W.

If the ULEZ was really about stopping pollution, non-compliant vehicles would simply be banned from entering.

Not charged £12.50 per day to drive around in it as much as they like.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 26th, 2024, 11:35 pm

Mike4 wrote:If the ULEZ was really about stopping pollution, non-compliant vehicles would simply be banned from entering.

Not charged £12.50 per day to drive around in it as much as they like.

Thwack!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”