Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Returning walking boots to Sports Direct - rights?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: Returning walking boots to Sports Direct - rights?

Postby Tedx » December 1st, 2023, 2:10 pm

swill453 wrote:
JohnB wrote:I think clothing should be only returned if unused, ie a few outings over a few days. The OP's 4 months and "a far bit" of usage is too much for my morality, especially for £40. I bought some Gelert's once, and they were rubbish, but caveat emptor.

That makes no sense. If you spent £40 on boots and they fell apart after a fortnight, you'd just shrug and accept it?

Scott.

And you can bet some manufacturers would build a 2 day lifespan into their gear.

'Sorry mate, you breathed on it. Right, NEXT'

I took a pair of Merrills back to the independent store that I bought them from after 6 months because the bonded heel had started to come away. These shoes were still like new and not for everyday use, only for walks out in the countryside / hills etc and you could easily tell that from the barely worn grips on the sole (i.e. they werent used on concrete). They were replaced straightaway. I guess I could have asked for a refund, but I really liked the shoe.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » December 1st, 2023, 5:41 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
Bminusrob wrote:Well done. Sounds like a result. The two year validity works in your favour. Apart from stuff where SD has bought a brand name, they sell some good stuff, and from time to time, they give very good discounts. I bought some excellent New Balance running shoes when they had a very very good offer on them. My only mistake was not buying several more pairs

I may try the Regatta boots if I can find them - as far as I know Regatta are not part of SD and they appear to own Craghoppers, who are my usual outdoor brand (Craghoppers do very reasonable GoreTex jackets - watch out for offers)

If you are after decent value, mid quality, low-mid cost sports/outdoor gear, and you are veering away from SD (which I have done), you might consider giving Decathlon a look.

They have a range of their own brands - Wedze (skiing), Kalenji (running), Btwin & Rockrider (cycling), Quecha (outdoors) - which review very well, and I/we have tried and are stull using some of all of those brands. The cycling and skiing stuff in particular are excellent mid range quality, perhaps higher to be honest.

I haven't tried the Quecha or Forclaz boots, but I would.

Been using Decathlon 20 yrs now (first seen in Cite d'Europe Calais) and one of my most trusted brands. Maybe just been lucky though, no bad experiences.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 1st, 2023, 9:34 pm

I would vouch for Decathlon as a value for money retailer. Their bikes are certainly the best bang for your buck and I have heard good things about their camping/hiking gear.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » December 2nd, 2023, 9:33 am

JohnB wrote:I think clothing should be only returned if unused, ie a few outings over a few days.

So is it unused, or a few outings? How about a few outings but over a few months? I don't think someone should feel unable to return a sub standard product because it's been worn a few times. Hats off to SD for taking the same view.

I've bought 3 pairs of Karrimor Hot Rocks from SD which are also about £40. Each have lasted year of regular use, couple of walks a week. Each has been replaced not because they'd failed but on cosmetic grounds so I wouldn't accept the next pair failing after 4 months.

This time I've spent a few quid more and got a pair of Berghause Hillwalkers in a good Black Friday deal.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 2nd, 2023, 9:52 am

Dicky99 wrote:This time I've spent a few quid more and got a pair of Berghause Hillwalkers in a good Black Friday deal.

Berghaus, part of the JD Sports group of course.

Used to be Brasher Hillwalkers, probably still a decent boot though I found the soles, while grippy, wore quite quickly.

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 2nd, 2023, 1:42 pm

Are they? I know Black's and Millets are part of JD Sports,
Looking at the Berghaus website it looks like Pentland Group are the parent Co (takes a bit of finding)

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » December 4th, 2023, 11:43 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Are they? I know Black's and Millets are part of JD Sports,
Looking at the Berghaus website it looks like Pentland Group are the parent Co (takes a bit of finding)

Pentland also own JD Sports (Or at least just over 50%)

https://pentlandbrands.com/our-brands/

https://pentlandgroup.com/about-us/

DM

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 5th, 2023, 11:01 am

So 'siblings' rather than owner and owned.. what a tangled web.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 5th, 2023, 2:34 pm

I like Miendl boots, not cheap, though mine have fallen apart after hardly any use. The rubber/ between the sole and the boot has fallen apart*. Its a shame as both the vibram sole and the upper are in great nick, and I only bought them last century. I have tried taking them to a cobbler, but the modern construction is such that they can't repair them and I'd have to send them back to Miendl and I've never got round to it (yet).

* probably due to age degradation not wear as I bought them in the 1990s

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 5th, 2023, 9:05 pm

daveh wrote:I like Miendl boots, not cheap, though mine have fallen apart after hardly any use. The rubber/ between the sole and the boot has fallen apart*. Its a shame as both the vibram sole and the upper are in great nick, and I only bought them last century. I have tried taking them to a cobbler, but the modern construction is such that they can't repair them and I'd have to send them back to Miendl and I've never got round to it (yet).

* probably due to age degradation not wear as I bought them in the 1990s

I'm in a similar situation with my Lomer boots, from the early 2000s
TBH I would be happy if the cobbler could transfer the boot to something more traditional than vibram ( on the wrong surface it's like skating)
- but he thinks he'd have to take them apart before knowing if this is possible and there's a bit of life left in them (at least for walking in the dry)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 5th, 2023, 9:15 pm

It would be 'nice' if manufacturers could use a more durable material for the soles. I guess the softer material gives more cushioning - but why not have a durable layer bonded to a softer layer above?

My last pair of Doc Martens lasted >>15 years, and the soles were still pretty good - it was the leather that went (cracked around the flexed part in front of laces)
OK nowhere near as many miles as walking boots, but all on roads ... or in pubs

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 5th, 2023, 9:21 pm

--- I have recently bought some Stormsure flexible adhesive- one of the 'use cases' is building up worn soles on outdoor boots
I'm going to have a go on my Craghoppers leather boots, which are showing signs of wear (nowhere near as bad as the Sports Direct stuff though)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormsure-Clea ... e2da068719

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 5th, 2023, 10:30 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:--- I have recently bought some Stormsure flexible adhesive- one of the 'use cases' is building up worn soles on outdoor boots
I'm going to have a go on my Craghoppers leather boots, which are showing signs of wear (nowhere near as bad as the Sports Direct stuff though)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormsure-Clea ... e2da068719

It says "Nylon" I thought that stuff was urethane?

I've used it (and the Aquaseal brand one) with really good success on various things (inflatables, inntertubes, seams)
- for a sole I would be trying to get it well wicked in, and covered in a way that it couldn't be torn out

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 5th, 2023, 11:19 pm

Yes, I think it's polyurethane.
I'm going to give the soles a thorough clean and will abrade surface with sandpaper, and possibly my Junior Hacksaw...
I'll finish by cleaning with IPA* if I can find some. Hopefully it will not dissolve the soles

*isopropyl alcohol, not beer

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » December 7th, 2023, 4:29 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:It would be 'nice' if manufacturers could use a more durable material for the soles. I guess the softer material gives more cushioning - but why not have a durable layer bonded to a softer layer above?

My last pair of Doc Martens lasted >>15 years, and the soles were still pretty good - it was the leather that went (cracked around the flexed part in front of laces)
OK nowhere near as many miles as walking boots, but all on roads ... or in pubs

I find I wear through soles very quickly on all my shoes and boots.
It's a long time since I used to go hiking, and I used to do fieldwork in pretty rough terrains, and I used to own several pairs of hiking boots. Back then Vibram was the best sole you could buy and lasted ages. I see some boots still use Vibram (eg Mountain Warehouse seem to stock some). Are Vibram still as good as they used to be? Is there anything more hardwearing?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 7th, 2023, 7:24 pm

I've had Vibram soles that have worn quickly (on a Sports Direct boot, ho ho)
from Wikipedia
'Vibram S.p.A. is an Italian company ..that both manufactures and licenses the production of Vibram-branded rubber outsoles for footwear. '
I suspect there are many different grades of 'Vibram' soles produced directly or under licence....

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » December 7th, 2023, 7:53 pm

JohnB wrote:I think clothing should be only returned if unused, ie a few outings over a few days. The OP's 4 months and "a far bit" of usage is too much for my morality, especially for £40. I bought some Gelert's once, and they were rubbish, but caveat emptor.

He is not returning it because he doesn't like the style or it doesn't fit (in which case I would say 1 day is enough to judge) but because the item is not fit for purpose, so it makes no difference how worn it is, it is not like they are gong to turn these shoes around and sell them on to someone else.

One of the biggest problems with online shopping is you return something immediately because it is the wrong size, and the shop sends the return straight to landfill because the logistics of restocking it are too difficult.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 7th, 2023, 8:14 pm

Lanark wrote:One of the biggest problems with online shopping is you return something immediately because it is the wrong size, and the shop sends the return straight to landfill because the logistics of restocking it are too difficult.

Reference please.

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 7th, 2023, 8:58 pm

Lanark wrote:
JohnB wrote:I think clothing should be only returned if unused, ie a few outings over a few days. The OP's 4 months and "a fair bit" of usage is too much for my morality, especially for £40. I bought some Gelert's once, and they were rubbish, but caveat emptor.

He is not returning it because he doesn't like the style or it doesn't fit (in which case I would say 1 day is enough to judge) but because the item is not fit for purpose, so it makes no difference how worn it is....

Exactly. They were returned because the soles weren't durable - you can't judge durability 'over a few days'...

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”