Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Returning walking boots to Sports Direct - rights?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Returning walking boots to Sports Direct - rights?

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 28th, 2023, 8:09 pm

Evenin' all
I'm returning a pair of walking boots to Sports Direct as the sole has worn away and they are leaking.
They are 'Gelert' brand and I bought them 26/07/23 - so just over 4 months ago - they are the budget end of the range- £40
Last time I returned a pair to SD (Karrimor branded) they told me I wasn't entitled to a refund as they had been 'overworn'... this was between 6 months and a year after purchase.

What rights do I have? I have worn the current Gelerts a fair bit, but not for working on a site or anything, just light walking on tarmac and grass footpaths
I really 'expect' more than 4 month's use out of £40 boots, whilst acknowledging they are not going to last as long as 'pro' boots
thanks
AC

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: Returning walking boots to Sports Direct - rights?

Postby Tedx » November 28th, 2023, 8:13 pm

Sounds like they're not 'fit for purpose' to me. Ive got a pair of £25 Tesco trainers that I wear daily and I've owned them for 5 years plus

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » November 28th, 2023, 8:43 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Evenin' all
I'm returning a pair of walking boots to Sports Direct as the sole has worn away and they are leaking.
They are 'Gelert' brand and I bought them 26/07/23 - so just over 4 months ago - they are the budget end of the range- £40
Last time I returned a pair to SD (Karrimor branded) they told me I wasn't entitled to a refund as they had been 'overworn'... this was between 6 months and a year after purchase.

What rights do I have? I have worn the current Gelerts a fair bit, but not for working on a site or anything, just light walking on tarmac and grass footpaths
I really 'expect' more than 4 month's use out of £40 boots, whilst acknowledging they are not going to last as long as 'pro' boots
thanks
AC

I don't know if your boots fail the fitness for purpose test but I'd start by arguing that point at the store where I bought them. If they refuse to play ball I'd submit a complaint via the Resolver website.

If you've never used it before it's quite a simple process of a bit of brief online form filling of the details and they'll do the donkey work of sending Sports Direct an appropriately worded complaint letter and update you on the response.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/freeadvice/s ... itory_id=1

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 28th, 2023, 9:30 pm

I'll try the 'not fit for purpose' approach first as suggested. I'm not sure what the legal position is - can firms sell , for example, shirts that fall apart after 31 days and get away with it? Most electricals seem to have a 1 year guarantee minimum, but not sure if this is statutory or what

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 28th, 2023, 9:50 pm

Found this, but I wouldn't say Alles ist klar - seems like there's a bit of wriggle room for SD to be difficult (note that they ARE the manufacturer as well as the retailer, as Gelert were one of the many brands bought by Sports Direct)
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... TEK2g0YuEy

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 28th, 2023, 10:14 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Found this, but I wouldn't say Alles ist klar - seems like there's a bit of wriggle room for SD to be difficult (note that they ARE the manufacturer as well as the retailer, as Gelert were one of the many brands bought by Sports Direct)

30 days seems like a short time to determine that "walking boots" will wear out prematurely
You could ping citizens advice before you go https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/
- they might be able to give you the magic words to incant the oik at the desk?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 29th, 2023, 9:07 am

servodude wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Found this, but I wouldn't say Alles ist klar - seems like there's a bit of wriggle room for SD to be difficult (note that they ARE the manufacturer as well as the retailer, as Gelert were one of the many brands bought by Sports Direct)

30 days seems like a short time to determine that "walking boots" will wear out prematurely
You could ping citizens advice before you go https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/
- they might be able to give you the magic words to incant the oik at the desk?

Here are some magic words you could use...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

Watis

I'll get me coat.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » November 29th, 2023, 11:00 am

I have found SD stubbornly difficult to deal with when looking for refunds, but more flexible when going for a credit note to the same value.

On an indirectly related note, it's sad what has happened to some of those brands revitalised by SD. I got done on some Karrimor walking boots about 5 years ago.

Didn't realise Gelert had been SDed as well. Wasn't that originally from the Y Warwys shops near Beddgelert?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 29th, 2023, 11:25 am

Yes, Gelert were based in Beddgelert, and later in my beloved Porthmadog, although they appear to have moved production to the Far East in 98.
https://www.gelert.com/customerservices ... on/aboutus
I've also been very disappointed with the 'Karrimor' boots from SD
Clearly SD buy brands then produce branded product wherever is cheapest with little regard for longevity or the brand history. I guess they get a certain life out of each brand as it takes a while for loyal customers to realise that, for example, SD 'Karrimor' KSBs are no longer as good as the originals

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 29th, 2023, 4:19 pm

UPDATE
Well, bit of an anti-climax but walked up to Sports Direct prepared for an argument but it went reasonably smoothly. At least they didn't say the boots were 'overworn'..... :shock:
Without any quibbling I was offered a replacement or a credit note. They were only legally obliged to repair/replace and I really didn't want to be back there again with another worn out pair of Gelert boots in four months, so I took the credit note. Two year validity which is good.
I'll probably avoid their 'branded' boots, but may put the £40 towards a pair of Adidas trainers or similar (who as far as I know don't produce cheaper lines for SD)
Useful to get up to speed on the CRA 2015 rules anyway.

Cheers All

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » November 30th, 2023, 5:16 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:UPDATE
Well, bit of an anti-climax but walked up to Sports Direct prepared for an argument but it went reasonably smoothly. At least they didn't say the boots were 'overworn'..... :shock:
Without any quibbling I was offered a replacement or a credit note. They were only legally obliged to repair/replace and I really didn't want to be back there again with another worn out pair of Gelert boots in four months, so I took the credit note. Two year validity which is good.
I'll probably avoid their 'branded' boots, but may put the £40 towards a pair of Adidas trainers or similar (who as far as I know don't produce cheaper lines for SD)
Useful to get up to speed on the CRA 2015 rules anyway.

Cheers All

Well done. Sounds like a result. The two year validity works in your favour. Apart from stuff where SD has bought a brand name, they sell some good stuff, and from time to time, they give very good discounts. I bought some excellent New Balance running shoes when they had a very very good offer on them. My only mistake was not buying several more pairs

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 30th, 2023, 5:36 pm

Do people find they always need a receipt when returning faulty goods? It's just that my wife has a habit of throwing receipts away, and I also note that quite a few receipts are either unreadable because of bad printing, or are printed on thermal paper which often fades and becomes illegible after 6 months.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 30th, 2023, 9:35 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Do people find they always need a receipt when returning faulty goods? It's just that my wife has a habit of throwing receipts away, and I also note that quite a few receipts are either unreadable because of bad printing, or are printed on thermal paper which often fades and becomes illegible after 6 months.

No. Not usually asked. There is no legal requirement for a receipt to be issued, or to be present for a return.
Some firms try to claim their own Ts&Cs require a receipt. But it is hard to see how this could stand up if you are using statutory protections rather than guarantee.
Any form of “proof of purchase” should be adequate legally. Such as this brand only being sold in SD. Or a credit card statement showing the payment.

Gryff

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » November 30th, 2023, 11:29 pm

I buy the the SD Karrimoor Mount Mid Walking Boots once a year for £40ish. They are the only shoes I wear all year, and I treat them rough, lots of walking, many conservation sessions in the woods. They last for the 12 months until I buy the next pair. I'd think it a cheek to take them back after 4 months active use.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 1st, 2023, 10:24 am

JohnB wrote:I buy the the SD Karrimoor Mount Mid Walking Boots once a year for £40ish. They are the only shoes I wear all year, and I treat them rough, lots of walking, many conservation sessions in the woods. They last for the 12 months until I buy the next pair. I'd think it a cheek to take them back after 4 months active use.

Not sure what you mean here.

Are you saying that you regularly get 12 months use out of your £40 boots but if they failed after 4 months you would be OK with that? Or are you saying you would not be happy?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 1st, 2023, 11:10 am

Bminusrob wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:UPDATE

Cheers All

Well done. Sounds like a result. The two year validity works in your favour. Apart from stuff where SD has bought a brand name, they sell some good stuff, and from time to time, they give very good discounts. I bought some excellent New Balance running shoes when they had a very very good offer on them. My only mistake was not buying several more pairs

I may try the Regatta boots if I can find them - as far as I know Regatta are not part of SD and they appear to own Craghoppers, who are my usual outdoor brand (Craghoppers do very reasonable GoreTex jackets - watch out for offers)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » December 1st, 2023, 1:34 pm

JohnB wrote:I buy the the SD Karrimoor Mount Mid Walking Boots once a year for £40ish. They are the only shoes I wear all year, and I treat them rough, lots of walking, many conservation sessions in the woods. They last for the 12 months until I buy the next pair. I'd think it a cheek to take them back after 4 months active use.

even though direct experience shows they last 12 months with this amount of wear and thus could be your reasonable expectation?

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » December 1st, 2023, 1:42 pm

I think clothing should be only returned if unused, ie a few outings over a few days. The OP's 4 months and "a far bit" of usage is too much for my morality, especially for £40. I bought some Gelert's once, and they were rubbish, but caveat emptor.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 1st, 2023, 1:50 pm

JohnB wrote:I think clothing should be only returned if unused, ie a few outings over a few days. The OP's 4 months and "a far bit" of usage is too much for my morality, especially for £40. I bought some Gelert's once, and they were rubbish, but caveat emptor.

That makes no sense. If you spent £40 on boots and they fell apart after a fortnight, you'd just shrug and accept it?

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 1st, 2023, 2:00 pm

JohnB wrote:I think clothing should be only returned if unused, ie a few outings over a few days. The OP's 4 months and "a far bit" of usage is too much for my morality, especially for £40. I bought some Gelert's once, and they were rubbish, but caveat emptor.

Perhaps I'm just immoral then ?!

I'm used to the SD 'Karrimors' now, and only expect a year or so out of them.
I think it's entirely reasonable to expect similar from similarly-priced boots.
I also think 'a reasonable person' in law would expect the same.
In fact the Gelerts were advertised as '50% off the original price of £79.99' - I know SD just do this all the time, but they must have had them on sale somewhere at £80 for a while - if the law still stands regarding special offers.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”