Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

The Rocket

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

The Rocket

Postby nimnarb » January 14th, 2024, 10:45 pm

Did it again. I have said this for years, and it's a major rant of mine, when is this man going to be recognized as the greatest sports person of all time. It was again mentioned today several times and by his peers. Name another sportsperson who has done what he has over 30 years..youngest, oldest, and if this was say, "orses", he would have been obe..eed to death with three hundred letters after his name, knighted, Lorded and had several statutes in London by now.(yes Im joking, but wheres the respect?) At least he has one OBE I suppose! Loved what he said the other day....dodgy eyes, can't see, knees hurt, arm hurts and they still can't beat me. He has everyone fooled, never seen anyone over the years use when convenient, his form of brain torment, as in, I really shouldn't have won this, Im not playing so well, etc, etc. You just don't keep winning when playing badly, you keep winning by playing the game.

Genius, god help them all when he decides to play good then? And those that know and love the game and been watching it for well over 50 years since Dracula's days and before :mrgreen: Think It's now a matter of a mental game when it comes to playing the Master(and he knows it. Just got the Worlds to go..can he get there? Why not, they are all pooing in their pockets with the Rocket.

I hope I live long enough to see this man knighted and get the true recognition he deserves, cos he bloody well deserves it..............innit!!!!

As I said..someone here name me another person in any sport, man or woman, that is still winning major events 30 years after he or she first started winning. And please don't tell me it's a minor or unrecognized sport anymore(it's not!)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: The Rocket

Postby Lootman » January 14th, 2024, 10:51 pm

Sorry but I have never heard of this person. Does he have a name? And which sport? Team? Country?

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 14th, 2024, 10:57 pm

I trust that this is a good joke.................... :roll:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 14th, 2024, 11:48 pm

I'm lost. OTTOMH a rocket may be any of
- A form of powerful but inefficient engine, or something powered by it. Often associated with space flight, fireworks, and weapons.
- A historical reference to en early prototype in the development of railway engines.
- A somewhat-bitter leaf salad.
- Something you put up the backside of an OP who posts obscure references without explanation and expects people to know them.

In this case, having clicked on the subject expecting a reference either to Stevenson or to some story from a topical conflict, I favour the final option.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » January 15th, 2024, 7:08 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I'm lost. OTTOMH a rocket may be any of
- A form of powerful but inefficient engine, or something powered by it. Often associated with space flight, fireworks, and weapons.
- A historical reference to en early prototype in the development of railway engines.
- Something you put up the backside of an OP who posts obscure references without explanation and expects people to know them.

In this case, having clicked on the subject expecting a reference either to Stevenson or to some story from a topical conflict, I favour the final option.

Cough…..Stephenson

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 15th, 2024, 8:32 am

I actually know who nimar means, not because I follow the sport, but because my dad did and I vagely recognised the nickname from decades past and linked it to a BBC headline I didn't click on.

I was pretty surprised to realise how long he'd been going, not something I watched much apart from a brief interest when we got a colour telly after mum moaned we had to go next door to watch Princess Anne's wedding, but that was in the days before Steve Davis was intresting.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 15th, 2024, 8:44 am

Like OTTOMH :lol:
Sorry, couldn't resist

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 15th, 2024, 8:51 am

DrFfybes wrote:Steve Davis

Now that looks like a clue - though both names are sufficiently common that there might be more than one in "sport".

Is perchance the "sport" the one that inflicts a whole load of chain-smokers on the Crucible Theatre (or at least did before the smoking ban) and lends itself to jokes about "if you're watching in black and white"? If not, I'm still clueless.

(and thanks Nimrod for the correction).

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 15th, 2024, 9:26 am

nimnarb wrote:
As I said..someone here name me another person in any sport, man or woman, that is still winning major events 30 years after he or she first started winning. And please don't tell me it's a minor or unrecognized sport anymore(it's not!)

Bob Nudd, longer career and only an MBE - and denied Sports Personality of the Year, despite winning the vote.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » January 15th, 2024, 9:39 am

Hint - remember the Hurricane?

T7

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 15th, 2024, 11:19 am

terminal7 wrote:Hint - remember the Hurricane?

T7

The man the authorities came to blame
For somethin' that he never done
Put in a prison cell, but one time he coulda been
The champion of the world

So, a boxer obviously :)

RC

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » January 15th, 2024, 11:23 am

Name another sportsperson who has done what he has over 30 years..youngest, oldest,

I suspect this bit is in relation to:

In January 2024, O'Sullivan defeated Ali Carter 10–7 in the final of the 2024 Masters, making it a record-extending eighth Masters; a title he last held in 2017. O'Sullivan won his first Masters at the age of 19 years and 69 days in 1995 and his latest at 48 years and 39 days. Making him both the youngest and oldest winner of the Masters.[47][48]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_O%27Sullivan

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 15th, 2024, 11:32 am

nimnarb wrote:I trust that this is a good joke.................... :roll:

I doubt it. I thought it was about a steam engine, or Elon Musk. :)
Now I know I am seriously not interested!

But I am not going to get all stroppy about it somewhere on TLF.

:lol:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 15th, 2024, 11:36 am

kiloran wrote:

Like OTTOMH :lol:
Sorry, couldn't resist

--kiloran

:lol:

gvonge
Lemon Pip

Postby gvonge » January 15th, 2024, 1:37 pm

T7

Michael Fish?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 15th, 2024, 1:40 pm

gvonge wrote:

Michael Fish?

He's suffered enough!

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 15th, 2024, 4:34 pm

How many more cues do you ignorant lot need. And Uncle Scrooge, you need a good extension following the Kick you received after your In Off but give me a break here before I call foul and take aim with that [b]extension[/b] and take a [b]long pot[/b] right up your .............................

:)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 15th, 2024, 4:39 pm

Ah yes, Steve Davis. Why, that must have been back in the grand old days when we bought our first colour TV. Fifty one years ago, if I'm not mistaken?

My word, how we marvelled at being able to tell the wobbly pink ball from the fuzzy green one. The staff canteen at work was positively abuzz with the thrill of it. The movement of the spheres! Physics lessons by proxy! :D

Why, we must have watched at least five snooker matches before we got bored and went off and did something more useful with our evenings. Nowadays they tell me there's somebody called Trump doing rather well. Wake me up when it's all over. :|

BJ

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 15th, 2024, 5:48 pm

I watch very little sport, I'm not that interested, but I do enjoy watching someone who is particularly talented at whatever they play, the few who make it look easy against the best. I would put Roger Federer in that category, for example. I'd also include Ronnie O'Sullivan, the most talented and elegant snooker player to ever play the game.

Here's one of his 147s, not the fastest he's made, in part because he stopped to ask the referee what the prize money was for a maximum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SziyR3GmGZs

RC

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » January 15th, 2024, 6:13 pm

I think he's an interesting character, a little edgy, probably a little unpredictable.

He is also unspeakably talented and brilliant.

One year he was bored and decided to play the season left-handed. I think it was about 10 years ago. I also think he won the world title that year at the Crucible playing left-handed.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”