Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Proof of NCB

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
didds
Lemon Half

Proof of NCB

Postby didds » February 13th, 2024, 9:52 am

DAK (I ciould have put this there but I suspect this is worthy of general discussion without a definitive answer...)...

when a new insurer for a vehicle requests proof of no claims bonus ... why don't they already have access to this? Other information from insurers generally make lots of noise about sharing information on various databases. So why isn't this piece of information shared/available?

didds

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Proof of NCB

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 13th, 2024, 10:50 am

didds wrote:DAK (I ciould have put this there but I suspect this is worthy of general discussion without a definitive answer...)...

when a new insurer for a vehicle requests proof of no claims bonus ... why don't they already have access to this? Other information from insurers generally make lots of noise about sharing information on various databases. So why isn't this piece of information shared/available?

didds

Surely it's simple data protection? Your old insurer can't disclose your record without your permission!

When I returned from Italy to Blighty, I took the precaution of asking my Italian insurer for a letter - on their headed paper - confirming it. Took a while for a UK insurer to translate and verify it, but it eventually worked.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 13th, 2024, 10:56 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Surely it's simple data protection? Your old insurer can't disclose your record without your permission!

I dont have an issue with that idea... but then how can any insurer then put anything about you on any shared database? Or are insurers actually telling large porkies when they say they all share info ?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 13th, 2024, 12:00 pm

didds wrote:DAK (I ciould have put this there but I suspect this is worthy of general discussion without a definitive answer...)...

when a new insurer for a vehicle requests proof of no claims bonus ... why don't they already have access to this?

didds

They usually do. I've probably only had to scan and send proof on NCD once or twice in the last 20 years, and change insurers regularly.

Paul

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 13th, 2024, 12:09 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
They usually do. I've probably only had to scan and send proof on NCD once or twice in the last 20 years, and change insurers regularly.

Paul

My wife has just been asked for proof, having moved insurer last week.

And I did last year.

So in this house they dont!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 13th, 2024, 1:04 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

didds

Surely it's simple data protection? Your old insurer can't disclose your record without your permission!

When I returned from Italy to Blighty, I took the precaution of asking my Italian insurer for a letter - on their headed paper - confirming it. Took a while for a UK insurer to translate and verify it, but it eventually worked.

But a few months ago, amid all that tabloid-style mock outrage/outcry/gobsmacked/fury/indignation etc about Farage being denied his expensive toy with Coutts, I learned that banks share such information with other banks. Hence the articles about how it made opening another account so difficult.

So why would banks be allowed to share info, but not insurance agencies?

Indeed, how does 'Privacy' actually work?

Hint, we don't really have any! 8-)

Steve

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 13th, 2024, 1:20 pm

didds wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:

Paul

And I did last year.

Obviously we live in a more trustworthy area :)

Or more likely the insurers we switched between share data - IIRC they have recently been banks, RAC, etc so established names, or perhaps because our NCDs are both 25+ years, or even that they all were quoted via the meerkat.? IAM Cornmarket (not on comparisson sites) were the last ones to ask about 3 years ago.

Paul

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » February 13th, 2024, 1:41 pm

didds wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:

Paul

And I did last year.

I experience a mixture of having to send NCB in, and not. I have wondered if it comes down to the IT systems of the companies (old & new) we use for our business, and some of them have formats of data that aren't compatible with sharing to the industry platforms - is it called the Motor Insurance Database (MID) or similar?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”