Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Paying For News Articles

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Paying For News Articles

Postby WickedLester » February 25th, 2024, 2:45 pm

Does anyone else feel it would be nice to be able to pay for commercial media, by that I mean internet articles from known and upcoming publications on a pay per read basis? I have a few go to titles but, with the FT for example, you pretty much have to sign up for a years subscription when I am often only interested in one or two articles.

I seem to remember someone tried to do something similar a few years ago but it never really took off. If pay per view is common with TV sports and the like, why isn't it with print?

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: Paying For News Articles

Postby Tedx » February 25th, 2024, 3:05 pm

WickedLester wrote:Does anyone else feel it would be nice to be able to pay for commercial media, by that I mean internet articles from known and upcoming publications on a pay per read basis? I have a few go to titles but, with the FT for example, you pretty much have to sign up for a years subscription when I am often only interested in one or two articles.

I seem to remember someone tried to do something similar a few years ago but it never really took off. If pay per view is common with TV sports and the like, why isn't it with print?

Why not a 'Spotify' of News articles?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 25th, 2024, 3:15 pm

Tedx wrote:
WickedLester wrote:Does anyone else feel it would be nice to be able to pay for commercial media, by that I mean internet articles from known and upcoming publications on a pay per read basis? I have a few go to titles but, with the FT for example, you pretty much have to sign up for a years subscription when I am often only interested in one or two articles.

Why not a 'Spotify' of News articles?

Erm... Readly?

https://gb.readly.com/magazines/categories/newspapers

Watis

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » February 25th, 2024, 3:44 pm

Never heard of it

I'll check it out

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 25th, 2024, 4:22 pm

PressReader?

https://www.pressreader.com/

Holders of a local library ticket supposedly get free access (or at least they do where I am). I must get round to trying it.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » February 25th, 2024, 4:55 pm

Sorry I should have been more clear, I meant pay for individual articles rather than the whole issue.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 25th, 2024, 5:06 pm

WickedLester wrote:Sorry I should have been more clear, I meant pay for individual articles rather than the whole issue.

You were clear, but Readly is the closest answer to your question that I know of. Whether it would be good value for your requirement depends on the number of articles you would want to read, and the price per article.

Watis

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 25th, 2024, 5:08 pm

Stompa wrote:PressReader?

Holders of a local library ticket supposedly get free access (or at least they do where I am). I must get round to trying it.

Thanks Stompa, I'll look into that for myself.

Watis

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 25th, 2024, 6:11 pm

Watis wrote:
Stompa wrote:PressReader?

Thanks Stompa, I'll look into that for myself.

Watis

I just registered online with my local public library and was immediately given a temporary borrower ID. I was then able to successfully use that to log in to PressReader.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”