Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

What Did The Internet Ever Do For Us?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
WickedLester
Lemon Slice

What Did The Internet Ever Do For Us?

Postby WickedLester » May 6th, 2024, 2:54 pm

Before the internet I spent my days, w*nking, shopping, reading, watching TV and listening to music when I wasn't working.

Soon the ability to communicate over long distances will bring about world peace, maybe, one day...

And of course despite the inflation rate everything is a lot cheaper.

If you don't know who the mug is it's probably you. I wouldn't live without it though.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: What Did The Internet Ever Do For Us?

Postby nimnarb » May 6th, 2024, 6:15 pm

Do you do a lot of winking? :lol:

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » May 6th, 2024, 7:53 pm

Doesn't everyone?

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » May 6th, 2024, 8:45 pm

Beerpig wrote:Doesn't everyone?

Blinking heck, at my age?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 7th, 2024, 12:21 pm

WickedLester wrote:Before the internet I spent my days, w*nking, shopping, reading, watching TV and listening to music when I wasn't working.

Soon the ability to communicate over long distances will bring about world peace, maybe, one day...

And of course despite the inflation rate everything is a lot cheaper.

If you don't know who the mug is it's probably you. I wouldn't live without it though.

Remember all the free website-making pages? It was so easy to make one. I taught myself html via online tutorials and at one time had three amateur websites up and running. One for our Primary school's parents, an amateur orchestra and the 3rd for musical info in the area.

Still okay for communication, but these days you have to accept that the authorities will be looking, know where you are, your phone number, your location and be able to link with every other thing you do. It's also quite easy to get a site closed down. Also, the disappearance of free website makers and rise of other commercial entities means that the communication channels have been narrowed.

My mum's village has a thriving Facebook site. Ever noticed how small the messages are? It puts people off writing long messages. Then there's the apathy. People are kept busy, too tired to bloody care.

Steve

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Postby MuddyBoots » May 7th, 2024, 5:45 pm

stevensfo wrote: Still okay for communication, but these days you have to accept that the authorities will be looking, know where you are, your phone number, your location and be able to link with every other thing you do. It's also quite easy to get a site closed down. Also, the disappearance of free website makers and rise of other commercial entities means that the communication channels have been narrowed.

Steve

True. The authorities also try to rein in encrypted messaging like Whatsapp and Telegram to prevent criminals using them. I guess it explains the existence of the dark web - whatever that is lol, it goes over my head.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 8th, 2024, 7:23 am

...it has given the bots a home ;)

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » May 8th, 2024, 7:32 am

Discovering that I could get served a beer in the Prince Albert when I was 15 transformed my life. The rest is history.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 8th, 2024, 9:33 am

The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'
Richard Jeni

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 8th, 2024, 11:34 am

MuddyBoots wrote:
stevensfo wrote: Still okay for communication, but these days you have to accept that the authorities will be looking, know where you are, your phone number, your location and be able to link with every other thing you do. It's also quite easy to get a site closed down. Also, the disappearance of free website makers and rise of other commercial entities means that the communication channels have been narrowed.

Steve

True. The authorities also try to rein in encrypted messaging like Whatsapp and Telegram to prevent criminals using them. I guess it explains the existence of the dark web - whatever that is lol, it goes over my head.

I think they like to give the impression of trying to control Whatsapp etc, but don't go too far. The fact is that you have to be pretty thick or lazy to use such methods for extremely illegal activities and the authorities want to keep it like that to stop the really bad guys from researching other methods.

Encryption, steganography and burner phones.

Steve

PS I do wish that our Headmistress would send info out via normal newsletters! :lol:

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”