Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Castello di Sammezzano

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Castello di Sammezzano

Postby Clitheroekid » April 18th, 2024, 9:55 pm

I'm a huge fan of Islamic architecture - I think the Alhambra might be the most beautiful building in the world - and I was therefore very smitten by this gorgeous photo - https://artistics.com/artwork/arabesque/

I did some digging, to find out where it had been taken, and was surprised to discover that it wasn't, as I'd expected, in Spain or the Middle East, but in Tuscany.

I then came across this fascinating article about the source of the photo, the Castello di Sammezzano - https://italysegreta.com/castello-di-sammezzano/

Sadly, but so typical of Italy, it's been abandoned and neglected for decades, and the owner, a highly dubious UK / Dubai company, has just gone into liquidation - again.

If I was infinitely rich, like Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates, I would just use some of my pocket change to buy something like this for the Italian people and pay for its restoration.

Unfortunately, I'm not :(

But perhaps I'll drop them a line and suggest it :)

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Castello di Sammezzano

Postby stewamax » April 19th, 2024, 10:06 am

Slight digression: I trust CK has read Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving. Highly recommended and very evocative of times past

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 19th, 2024, 4:16 pm

stewamax wrote:Slight digression: I trust CK has read Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving. Highly recommended and very evocative of times past

Oh, indeed. Until the early 20th century, the Alhambra was a festering architectural relic which was slowly falling apart - sporadically populated by gypsies and bandits (well, that's what Irving called them, not me guv. ;) ) It's a bit ironic that the main force for driving them all out and restoring the fading heritage complex was (ahem, cough, splutter) General Franco. :|

About 20 years ago, we spent three weeks wandering Andalucia with a hired car, and somehow - don't ask me how! :shock: - my wife managed to get us booked into the only small family-run guesthouse inside the walls of the palace. (There's also a glossy modern Parador made of glass and oncrete, but let's forget about that.)

So every night when the Alhambra locked its doors to the world, we were locked inside to admire its wonders at our leisure! Okay, we couldn't get into the really special areas of the palaces at night, but we were in the right place to be first through the turnstiles for them in the morning. And take it from me, the Alhambra at 8.00 am with maybe 20 well-informed travellers wandering round it was a different thing to the Alhambra two hours later when the coach parties from Malaga had arrived. Thanks for the memory!

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 21st, 2024, 8:32 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I'm a huge fan of Islamic architecture - I think the Alhambra might be the most beautiful building in the world - and I was therefore very smitten by this gorgeous photo - https://artistics.com/artwork/arabesque/

I did some digging, to find out where it had been taken, and was surprised to discover that it wasn't, as I'd expected, in Spain or the Middle East, but in Tuscany.

I then came across this fascinating article about the source of the photo, the Castello di Sammezzano - https://italysegreta.com/castello-di-sammezzano/

Sadly, but so typical of Italy, it's been abandoned and neglected for decades, and the owner, a highly dubious UK / Dubai company, has just gone into liquidation - again.

If I was infinitely rich, like Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates, I would just use some of my pocket change to buy something like this for the Italian people and pay for its restoration.

Unfortunately, I'm not :(

But perhaps I'll drop them a line and suggest it :)

and I was therefore very smitten by this gorgeous photo - https://artistics.com/artwork/arabesque/

That is so beautiful! One thing that puzzles me though is the very high price of what after all, is a print, not a painting. $1172 for the smallest print, 42 x 42cm?

I know a bit about buying very large old buildings in Italy, and why they tend to remain untouched. The problem is one of stifling bureaucracy and admin. You have to contend with state laws, regional laws and local laws! Tax laws that would crash a supercomputer! Then you have rules that change every year as well as councils officers who don't understand the rules, tell you a pack of lies, then refuse all responsibility when things go pear-shaped. Then you add in the chance of descendants/relatives of the owner suddenly appearing and claiming part ownership under the inheritance laws. One tiny rule or law that's forgotten and they are allowed to fine you up to ten years later.

Steve

PS Still trying to get a mortgage to buy the coliseum. 8-)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 21st, 2024, 9:14 am

Buildings are brilliant aren't they!

Despite what was in the papers at the time, rather than sniffing glue, I spent most of my early teenage years staring at the Glasgow School of Art from different angles during class (...which gives those paying attention the answer to the old sectarian shibboleth "which school did you go to"?)
- if ever (I should stress that) EVER there was a building that should not be allowed to remain in a sad state that one is top of my list (...and that's not just because of the "formative memories" experienced in various parts in later years)
It's an aesthetic wonder... but there are little pocket beauties everywhere, gifted to us by those that went before and had a bit of a flair
You're spoilt for choice in Glasgow with things like The Hatrack or Ca D'Oro tribute or any/every-thing by Thompson..
..but even "down here" in Melbourne there's delights like the "Manchester Unity Building" (you can tour it once a month... if you're here I recommend it https://manchesterunitybuilding.com.au/)

Watching the spire on Børsen fall this week was gutting; I loved the place, it felt Grimm-ly magical to me, raised on Gothic revivalist fantasy... it was authentically weird (and ultimately as Gormenghast as it looked).
I hope it's rebuilt... same with Notre Dame.

There's little quite as emotive as decrepit old grandeur - while I love to see it restored, and living, there's also a piquancy to it being left behind
- which is one of the major themes of one of my favourite "local" (to us) artists... https://rone.art/

... anyways buildings! aren't they great!?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 21st, 2024, 9:37 am

stevensfo wrote:I know a bit about buying very large old buildings in Italy, and why they tend to remain untouched.

Apply the right budget and things can fall into place. c.f Monte Cassino.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 21st, 2024, 11:26 am

servodude wrote:There's little quite as emotive as decrepit old grandeur - while I love to see it restored, and living, there's also a piquancy to it being left behind

Isn't there just? When I was a brat there was nothing I liked more than to go out for a day on my bike in the Surrey or Berkshire countryside and find a derelict mansion to explore. I found several. Amazing looking back that such places still existed even as late as the mid 60s. The rotting boathouses, staircases, gardens, etc were yes deeply emotive and probably the root of why I gravitated to the building trade.

Nowadays its great that these old stately homes are being looked after by the National Trust but I do rather regret the way the NT 'style' gets plastered all over them the same. When one visits a stately home not administered by the NT the difference can be both stark and refreshing.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 21st, 2024, 11:43 am

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:There's little quite as emotive as decrepit old grandeur - while I love to see it restored, and living, there's also a piquancy to it being left behind

Isn't there just? When I was a brat there was nothing I liked more than to go out for a day on my bike in the Surrey or Berkshire countryside and find a derelict mansion to explore. I found several. Amazing looking back that such places still existed even as late as the mid 60s. The rotting boathouses, staircases, gardens, etc were yes deeply emotive and probably the root of why I gravitated to the building trade.

Nowadays its great that these old stately homes are being looked after by the National Trust but I do rather regret the way the NT 'style' gets plastered all over them the same. When one visits a stately home not administered by the NT the difference can be both stark and refreshing.

I once stumbled across an abandoned holiday camp
- with creepers and vines growing out of windows, around barriers and petrol bowses
It was brilliant... and creepy as .... !
we'd been walking for an hour or so along a beach on Bruny Island off Tasmania and followed a trail up through some trees and found ourselves in what looked like a zombie movie set. If the kids had been of an age to have been watching zombie movies they'd have been well freaked out!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 21st, 2024, 12:03 pm

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

I once stumbled across an abandoned holiday camp
- with creepers and vines growing out of windows, around barriers and petrol bowses
It was brilliant... and creepy as .... !
we'd been walking for an hour or so along a beach on Bruny Island off Tasmania and followed a trail up through some trees and found ourselves in what looked like a zombie movie set. If the kids had been of an age to have been watching zombie movies they'd have been well freaked out!

Exactly!

And here on the canal system it can still be like that. Until quite recently there was an abandoned car parked by the side of a track leading to one of the locks on the Oxford canal with a quite substantial tree growing out through the sun roof. I think it might even still be there!

Edit to add an important missing word!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”