Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
dspp
Lemon Half

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby dspp » January 6th, 2019, 9:51 pm

With thanks to Sippnoob

https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/7f23 ... 96e40a5873

....... on behalf of all HUR holders :)

- dspp

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 19th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Diver Ocean Ramsey swims next to a female great white shark off the coast of Oahu, Hawaii.

Great white sharks are extremely rare in Hawaii and this individual may be one of the largest recorded.

Hi-Res version of the above photo - https://www.twincities.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BC-US-Great-White-Shark-Sighting-IMG-jpgsdghsdgh.jpg

Original article - https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/18/researchers-come-face-to-face-with-huge-great-white-shark/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 19th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Snorvey wrote:The McAllan Distillery - the rear of it at least. (It's actually called 'The McAllan', but I find that a bit pretentious and refuse to call it that)

https://www.foodbev.com/news/edrington- ... nvestment/

Looks like a nuclear weapon store...I live near several

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 20th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Diver Ocean Ramsey swims next to a female great white shark off the coast of Oahu, Hawaii. Itsallaguess

A 'hell of a photo', but as a life-long diver (incl with big/dangerous sharks) it's not at all cool. The triteness of being 'right there', having to stroke it for the camera, interfering with it, and it's natural behaviour just to get a glam pic, it's all very contrary to the basic and core ethics of diving. That's the kind of thing seriously yahoo/casual divers do, not professionals; and to get that pic, that diver was minted and will know better and had very professional advisors who put $ before ethics.

[Sorry, modern professional divers can be an agitative lot with stuff like this, we respect the environment, and clearly don't interfere with it, as in this case]. Rule-1 is 'Do not touch', Rule-2 is 'Do not interfere', ie just sit back and observe natural behaviour.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 21st, 2019, 10:22 am

DiamondEcho wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:Diver Ocean Ramsey swims next to a female great white shark off the coast of Oahu, Hawaii. Itsallaguess

A 'hell of a photo', but as a life-long diver (incl with big/dangerous sharks) it's not at all cool. The triteness of being 'right there', having to stroke it for the camera, interfering with it, and it's natural behaviour just to get a glam pic, it's all very contrary to the basic and core ethics of diving. That's the kind of thing seriously yahoo/casual divers do, not professionals; and to get that pic, that diver was minted and will know better and had very professional advisors who put $ before ethics.

[Sorry, modern professional divers can be an agitative lot with stuff like this, we respect the environment, and clearly don't interfere with it, as in this case]. Rule-1 is 'Do not touch', Rule-2 is 'Do not interfere', ie just sit back and observe natural behaviour.

I'd find it difficult to sit back and observe the natural behaviour of thing that eat people, particularly if I was on the menu. :D

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 21st, 2019, 8:33 pm

sg31 wrote:I'd find it difficult to sit back and observe the natural behaviour of thing that eat people, particularly if I was on the menu. :D

Fair enough, but if you mess with them right in their face the odds might shift against you.
Whilst diving, a year ago, I had several, up to 18', Tiger sharks (@Fiji) feeding and swimming in circles around me, really close; I can assure you I did not feel inclined to reach out and stroke one, though I could have :lol: No, rather I was crouched behind a wall of corals, oh and the local guides had electric prods just in case any got a bit too interested in we guests. Entirely awesome. Were we 1000% pre-briefed yes, 'What to do if...A-Z?'. Would I do it again, likely no, I've done it, it's $$$$, and it IS not a relaxing experience - until afterwards :lol:

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 22nd, 2019, 9:56 pm

We had snow out here in west Berks, but a bit moist and floppy
Freezing tonight so I'll be skating to the office tomorrow. May try out my YakTrax Pros
https://www.yaktrax.co.uk/

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » January 23rd, 2019, 1:10 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:We had snow out here in west Berks, but a bit moist and floppy
Freezing tonight so I'll be skating to the office tomorrow. May try out my YakTrax Pros
https://www.yaktrax.co.uk/

I've got these, first class.

Just one tip. Take them off before you go into any building with marble or similar floor, otherwise you'll be on your backside within a couple of metres !

Bare concrete factory floor or similar you should be OK with care, although the floor itself may not be too chuffed with the Yaktrax on it.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 23rd, 2019, 9:10 am

Yes, the the problem I have with them. Fine for longer walks but not practical for popping in to several shops etc. Mine are pretty tight, and not easy to fit/remove

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 23rd, 2019, 10:33 am

Do they grit your pavements ?!
The ones round here can be like a skating rink

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 23rd, 2019, 10:35 am

I have a pair of sandals that come out specifically for snow and ice. Far better grip than anything else, including trainers or walking boots.
They weren't bought for snow: they're supposedly just regular sandals (shoe zone had them on offer). They just happen to be great for it. And useless at other times of year: they're fine for unlimited walking in winter, but a mile or two in them in warmer weather and I have blisters.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 23rd, 2019, 10:33 pm

Sandals. With socks I assume ?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 23rd, 2019, 11:45 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Sandals. With socks I assume ?

Speak for yourself. The last thing I want on my feet in the snow is something that's going to get cold and wet.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 24th, 2019, 11:22 am

I do a lot of fishing in winter which involves sitting still for long periods. I have very good waterproof and insulated clothing which means my body and head can stay warm in very cold weather even though I'm not creating body heat by moving. The problem has always been my feet wich get very cold. In the past it was just a case of waterproof boots and warm socks but they never did much good despite spending a lot of money on merino wool socks and liner socks.

I have a number of on line friends who live in Canada and who are used to extreme cold much more severe than any we encounter so it was logical to ask for their recommendations for footwear. It didn't work out as well as I expected. It seems the boots they wear are very well insulated for really cold weather and deep snow but because water freezes at low temperatures their boots don't need to be waterproof. That means they aren't much use in the British climate.

The search continues, I have bought some boots that are supposed to be waterproof and ok down to minus 40 but I'm not convinced, they look more like a fashion item than rugged cold weather wear. The next time I go fishing in cold weather I'll try them out.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » January 24th, 2019, 11:32 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Sandals. With socks I assume ?

Speak for yourself. The last thing I want on my feet in the snow is something that's going to get cold and wet.

Take Care! The younger son of President Calvin Coolidge wore tennis shoes without socks - and developed a blister that led to blood poisoning and death (in 1924).

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 24th, 2019, 11:52 am

sg31 wrote:I do a lot of fishing in winter which involves sitting still for long periods. I have very good waterproof and insulated clothing which means my body and head can stay warm in very cold weather even though I'm not creating body heat by moving. The problem has always been my feet wich get very cold. In the past it was just a case of waterproof boots and warm socks but they never did much good despite spending a lot of money on merino wool socks and liner socks.

I have a number of on line friends who live in Canada and who are used to extreme cold much more severe than any we encounter so it was logical to ask for their recommendations for footwear. It didn't work out as well as I expected. It seems the boots they wear are very well insulated for really cold weather and deep snow but because water freezes at low temperatures their boots don't need to be waterproof. That means they aren't much use in the British climate.

The search continues, I have bought some boots that are supposed to be waterproof and ok down to minus 40 but I'm not convinced, they look more like a fashion item than rugged cold weather wear. The next time I go fishing in cold weather I'll try them out.

Your body might remain warm(ish) but it is at the expense of your extremities. Your body maintains core temperature at the expense of the legs/arms...top priority being keeping the brain warm). You might consider using a heated jacket as suggested. Bit of a faff but try a flask of hot water and empty into a hot water bottle when "on site" to see if it helps - anglers dont move much. Place it on your back under your coat. If it helps you might then decide to step up to the expense of a heated gilet ( not yellow unless you're French). Just an idea.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 24th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Thread drift warning! ;)

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 24th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Thread drift warning! ;)

Noted.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » January 24th, 2019, 12:45 pm

sg31 wrote:

Noted.

We need some pictures of frostbitten toes to keep this running.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 24th, 2019, 2:28 pm

scotia wrote:
sg31 wrote:

Noted.

We need some pictures of frostbitten toes to keep this running.

How do you run with frostbitten toes? ...(slowly?) ;)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”