Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby Clitheroekid » September 2nd, 2019, 11:04 pm

Following a violent storm in Ibiza, a gigantic jellyfish was stranded on the beach ...

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 2nd, 2019, 11:21 pm

Hehe that's no jellyfish, that's the wave pattern of a full-on rip-tide, the kind that readily kills people who can barely swim who venture out of their depth. Swimmers should be alert how to recognise such from 'ground level' as the breaks in particular spots power up the beach.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 7th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Looks splendid!
Today I visited a lovely little place called Dunelm. Followed by Calcot Sainsbury's....
Not posting any pictures you'll be pleased to hear

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 8th, 2019, 12:56 pm

I returned yesterday from a week on Mull - wildlife spotting, and concert- going - since it was the Mendelssohn on Mull Festival (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendelsso ... l_Festival).
We set off on the last day of August in very very wet weather - and following our usual wilderness route we had to turn back at the entry to Glencoe with the news that the road to the Locahaline ferry was closed due to floods, and we re-routed to Oban where we discovered that all of the ferries that day were fully booked. Fortunately we were squeezed on the second last ferry, and here we are leaving Oban harbour - note the black cloud!

To quote from a children's book from a Mull author "but occasionally there are showers, some last for minutes and some last for hours"
Regrettably there were more of the latter during the week. However we enjoyed the concerts, and we saw Sea Eagles, a Golden Eagle, Dolphins, Fallow Deer and Red Deer. The Otters on Mull escaped us this year, but we got a good view of a large dog Otter on our return journey along Loch Sunart.
On our final day (yesterday) on Mull, the Sun came out, and here we have Tobermory, with a group of the young musicians lounging by the harbour - only a short distance away from the sunken Spanish Treasure Galleon!

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 9th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Here is a possible question for a pub quiz - where is the mausoleum? - could it be in Sydney?

The notice below may prove more helpful

So yes - its on Mull, near Gruline, where I took the photos last week.
On our visits to Mull we stay in a chalet up a farm track not far from the mausoleum, and this year we were visited by a Macquarie family from Canada who were trying to find the mausoleum by GPS coordinates - but they had turned up the wrong track. By chance we met them again in the evening when we were both eating in the Mishnish hotel in Tobermory - and we learned that after their redirected visit to the mausoleum, they followed the road up past the island of Ulva, then on to Calgary Bay, and thence via Dervaig to Tobermory. For those unfamiliar with Mull, I should add that their chosen (single track) road is not one for the faint of heart, and its sure to test your reversing skills!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 15th, 2019, 9:04 pm

2500km to Mars -

Mosaic of the Valles Marineris hemisphere of Mars projected into point perspective, a view similar to that which one would see from a spacecraft.

The distance is 2500 kilometers from the surface of the planet, with the scale being .6km/pixel. The mosaic is composed of 102 Viking Orbiter images of Mars.

The center of the scene (lat -8, long 78) shows the entire Valles Marineris canyon system, over 2000 kilometers long and up to 8 kilometers deep, extending form Noctis Labyrinthus, the arcuate system of graben to the west, to the chaotic terrain to the east.

Many huge ancient river channels begin from the chaotic terrain from north-central canyons and run north.

The three Tharsis volcanoes (dark red spots), each about 25 kilometers high, are visible to the west. South of Valles Marineris is very ancient terrain covered by many impact craters.

Source - https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/6453/valles-marineris-hemisphere-enhanced/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 15th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Many huge ancient river channels begin from the chaotic terrain from north-central canyons and run north. Image

Ancient river channels? Looks more like some passing extra-terrestrial had a hard crash-landing while dropping in for a pee stop. If you looked closely enough, I expect you could see a scattering of nuts and bolts and a bit of his baked-bean-can exhaust pipe.

Lovely pic!

BJ

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 16th, 2019, 6:34 pm

I'm up in Pitlochry this week, for the season of plays at the festival theatre, and when out for a ramble who did I see posting a letter?

And just in case you didn't recognize her, or her faithful retainer, then here is another clue

and the final clue is that the site has an appropriate name

Yes - it is Queen's View of Loch Tummel with Schiehallion behind. There is some debate as to which Queen it refers to - either Victoria or Isabella (Bruce's wife). But strictly speaking neither of them saw this view, since the loch level was raised by a hydro dam in 1950

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 18th, 2019, 12:01 am

A tale of two bridges (for us engineering geeks)

The picture is taken on a ramble from Pitlochry along the bank of Loch Faskally. Before 1950, there was no Loch Faskally, and this was the river Tummel, crossed by an old stone bridge. The loch arrived with the building of the Pitlochry Dam - part of the Tummel-Garry Hydro scheme. The old stone bridge was replaced by a crossing downstream of the Dam, and the footbridge as shown was constructed (in 1950). It was one of the earliest all-aluminium bridges in the country, and is probably the oldest survivor. The road bridge, also as shown, was constructed in 1981 as part of the Pitlochry bypass, and a nearby plaque indicates it won a Saltire award for Civil Engineering Construction.

The ramble took us through very pleasant woodland up to Loch Dunmore where the preparations are underway for the sound and light display of "The Enchanted Forest" in October.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 18th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Fetch!

Source -

Claudio Piccoli Photographer - https://www.instagram.com/claudiopiccoliphotographer/?hl=en

https://www.claudiopiccoli.com/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 18th, 2019, 11:42 pm

Snorvey wrote:Image

A seagull has been photographed with an arrow embedded in its head in Elgin.

I'm puzzled by the projectile. A conventional arrow would be sticking out the other side. - but apparently its not. A crossbow bolt is suggested - but unless its a toy crossbow, a serious crossbow would have decapitated the bird. And if it is from a toy crossbow, it probably means that it is light plastic bolt - which hopefully will fall out if the bird flies about, and consequently I suspect it was fired by a child. But if it could penetrate a bird's skin, it is a dangerous toy to be in any child's possession.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 19th, 2019, 10:08 am

Hand crossbow? It's a very small bolt (or a very big bird ;) )

Gryff

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 22nd, 2019, 11:44 am

Angel of death (if you're a minnow...)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-49742285

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 22nd, 2019, 12:47 pm

vrdiver wrote:Angel of death (if you're a minnow...)

I don't know how they captured such a picture - when a kingfisher moves, its a lightning flash of fluorescent blue-green. Not much chance of catching it on my phone camera :)

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » September 23rd, 2019, 11:48 am

Love the kingfisher photo. I wonder if it's the same guy who shot this (Lakes4Life on Flickr)

https://flickr.com/photos/53066919@N07/

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 5th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Snorvey wrote:HMS Prince of Wales rumbles into the Cromarty Firth

I travelled up north past the Cromarty Firth on Friday - but missed seeing the carrier. I'll pay more attention on my journey south on Monday.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 5th, 2019, 9:10 pm

scotia wrote:I travelled up north past the Cromarty Firth on Friday - but missed seeing the carrier. I'll pay more attention on my journey south on Monday.

This may help you locate it https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 86/zoom:14
Currently docked at Invergordon

--kiloran

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 5th, 2019, 9:17 pm

We are back up in Caithness this weekend (my wife's birthplace), staying (comfortably) at what used to be called the John o' Groats Hotel. As you can see from the photo, it has gained some colourful additions

and out front there are interesting sculptures which, I believe, represent the waves in the Pentland Firth, and the boulders that get tossed around

and a short distance along the coast is Duncansby - with its well known sea stacks

On our way to Duncansby Head we had a careful look down to a beach where the grey seals gather for pupping and mating at this time of the year. They had been disturbed by a party of walkers down at the tide line, but later, when the walkers moved on, they started to move inshore again.
To say that it was a windy day is a severe understatement - but that's common in Caithness! My wife told the grandchildren that she was only 5 foot tall, due to wind-pruning.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 6th, 2019, 1:16 am

kiloran wrote:
scotia wrote:I travelled up north past the Cromarty Firth on Friday - but missed seeing the carrier. I'll pay more attention on my journey south on Monday.

This may help you locate it https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 86/zoom:14

--kiloran

Thanks - I have the marine traffic app, so I'll check it out as I approach the Cromarty Firth.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 7th, 2019, 8:29 am

kiloran wrote:

--kiloran

Its gone! Currently it is way out in the North Sea, East of Wick. I think it must have been practicing a quick refuel in Invergordon.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”