Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to OLTB,Cornytiv34,Blatter,eyeball08,ADrunkenMarcus, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby Clitheroekid » August 18th, 2019, 11:13 pm

That made me chuckle :lol:

(From the press report) "Camouflaged soldiers – also wearing high-visibility vests – ensured they were secured correctly."

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » August 20th, 2019, 3:02 pm

We're used to seeing timelapse videos of the Milky Way rotating in the night sky, but this video delivers a fantastic slant on that by being filmed from an equatorial mount which maintains a static Milky Way and rotates the camera to compensate for the rotation of the Earth -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zJ9FnQXmJI

It's useful to sometimes be reminded that it's us that's spinning around!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 20th, 2019, 4:50 pm

A photo taken in Marbs by the wifey recently

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 20th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:We're used to seeing timelapse videos of the Milky Way rotating in the night sky, but this video delivers a fantastic slant on that by being filmed from an equatorial mount which maintains a static Milky Way and rotates the camera to compensate for the rotation of the Earth -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zJ9FnQXmJI

It's useful to sometimes be reminded that it's us that's spinning around!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Don't be silly. If the earth tilted like that, we'd all be rolling downhill and water would spill out of lakes (and beer would spill out of my glass) ;)

--kiloran

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » August 21st, 2019, 5:14 pm

If you get a move on you can catch live coverage of maintenance on the outside of the International Space Station.

International Space Station

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » August 21st, 2019, 11:07 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:(From the press report) "Camouflaged soldiers – also wearing high-visibility vests – ensured they were secured correctly."

It's beyond a joke. I used to design military equipment. We had spent several years and a huge amount of (taxpayers') money designing a piece of equipment to be as small a radar signature as possible. As soon as it entered service, their elf'n'safety officer insisted a safety railing be added around the outside. Which completely ruined the radar stealth.

:roll:

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » August 22nd, 2019, 8:46 am

gryffron wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:(From the press report) "Camouflaged soldiers – also wearing high-visibility vests – ensured they were secured correctly."

It's beyond a joke. I used to design military equipment. We had spent several years and a huge amount of (taxpayers') money designing a piece of equipment to be as small a radar signature as possible. As soon as it entered service, their elf'n'safety officer insisted a safety railing be added around the outside. Which completely ruined the radar stealth.

:roll:

Both of these make for a bit of a giggle, but come actual conflict one assumes they would bin the vests and the safety rail....

If only for "elf 'n' safety" considerations!

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 23rd, 2019, 2:14 pm

The Arrows fly the flag over New Yoik. All we needed was a Concorde on point.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-49440354

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 24th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Feeding station 1 at The Speyside Ultra Marathon this morning (12 miles of 37), where I took part*. Here, competitors provide their own food bags - everything from the ubiquitous energy gels, to a flask of tea, to ground up locusts to....... raw potatoes (?). So nothing decent to pilfer.

We're waiting for the first runner (who didnt even stop) There was a few of them going for the first ever sub 4 hour time.
*Ok, I donned a hi vis vest and spent the morning saying 'well done' and 'just turn up to the right and then straight on'

The track is the much improved Speyside Way and wall is the old railway platform at Craigellachie

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 24th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Here's one for Snorvey - which he missed attending today!

The weather was fine, so we set off for Millport, and once again, totally by accident, we arrived on a Scooter Rally Day.
For our southern friends who have no idea where Millport is, I should perhaps supply a description.
In the Firth of Clyde there are three islands which are large enough to have towns and ferry connections. The smallest one is Cumbrae, with Millport its only town. The next largest is Bute, with Rothesay its chief town, then Arran is the largest with Brodick its largest town.
The picture below was taken today from the high ground in the centre of Cumbrae , looking over the southern end of Bute to the mountains of Arran.

Cumbrae is an attractive little island - about 10 miles round its coast road - so it makes for a pleasant walk. There are several cycle hire shops in Millport, and consequently lots of cyclists. It was a warm, lazy, hazy day - and we watched a grey seal floating on his back with his nose in the air, and occasional lifting of his head to watch the cyclists go by. We also watched

A humphy-backit heron
Nearly as big as me
Stands at the waterside
Fishin for his tea.

(by J K Annand)

It was a very enjoyable day (in spite of the Scooters :))

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » August 24th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Which reminds me... If you catch the ferry to Cumbrae there is a Catalina seaplane sunk close by on the Cumbrae side. You sometimes see foot passengers getting on the ferry at Largs in full SCUBA gear as it's a shore dive from the other side. The aircraft crashed during training in 1943. These days all that is left is bits of twisted metal that is now home to various critters.

VRD

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 24th, 2019, 11:38 pm

vrdiver wrote:Which reminds me... If you catch the ferry to Cumbrae there is a Catalina seaplane sunk close by on the Cumbrae side. You sometimes see foot passengers getting on the ferry at Largs in full SCUBA gear as it's a shore dive from the other side. The aircraft crashed during training in 1943. These days all that is left is bits of twisted metal that is now home to various critters.
VRD

Yes - that was one visited by my son in his diving days, (before he became a family man)

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 26th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Bank Holiday Monday UK (except Scotland)

Aye right. You know where you can shove that notion. Anyway, the best day to take a day off is when everyone else is at work or school - especially on a day like today - right?

So, not wanting to spend ages in the car, we went local. Picnic in the backpack, tea in the flask and off along the coastal path. The eventual goal was a small cove a couple of hours up the track (I've done pictures from there before, but what the hell)

Now this is a beach on a UK Bank holiday (except Scotland) - population, including us, = 4

Time to get the shoes aff and go for a root around in the rockpools. Oh to be a bairn again.

Beach in England :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49471053

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 26th, 2019, 8:41 pm

I was fishing on the loch today - during the non-Scottish bank holiday. The picture I had hoped to show you was of the Osprey. He arrived about 10:30am , flew round the loch, focussed on one spot, dived, splashed, and struggled back up into the air carrying a large trout. Meanwhile I had dropped my rod, and was struggling with the camera app on the phone, but by the time I had pressed the appropriate button, he had completed his low pass overhead, complete with the trout carried like a torpedo, and with a shrug of his feathers he was gone. So he took a few minutes to catch a big trout, and I took seven hours to catch zero trout.
However the perch were accommodating, as usual, and as a consolation, I thought I would take a photograph of one of the perch that I landed - they are beautiful little fish. But it refused to lie still, and gave me a most reproachful look for my attempted imposition, before I slipped it back into the water.
So apologies - no photo today.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 29th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) climate researcher Steffen M. Olsen captured this image in the northwest of Greenland as he and sled dogs traveled on top of sea ice flooded by surface melt water while he went to retrieve the research team's oceanographic moorings and weather station equipment. It appears that the dogs are walking on water. (Photo/Steffen M. Olsen and the Danish Meteorological Institute)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... r/70008581

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » September 2nd, 2019, 11:04 pm

Following a violent storm in Ibiza, a gigantic jellyfish was stranded on the beach ...

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 2nd, 2019, 11:21 pm

Hehe that's no jellyfish, that's the wave pattern of a full-on rip-tide, the kind that readily kills people who can barely swim who venture out of their depth. Swimmers should be alert how to recognise such from 'ground level' as the breaks in particular spots power up the beach.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 7th, 2019, 8:37 pm

The River Findhorn again - this time we went through the forest and downstream to the estuary mouth and around the headland towards Narnia, sorry, Nairn.

As usual, I could post a hundred pictures......but I'll not bore you too much :D

A few miles through the forest in the early morning (along immaculate Forestry Commission trails) and you come out into the estuary, where all you can hear is the honking of several hundred (thousand?) Canada Geese). Looking north towards the small village of Findhorn and the Moray Firth.

Image[/url]

Morning tea break was in front of this shed (Costa Coffee - money off if take in your own flask :-) and shortbread (loadsa energy)

Part of a whole herd of seals basking at the estuary mouth. We didn't want to get any closer!

Well there are worse places to have your lunch. Looking west towards the Cromarty Firth

And finally a wander back through the wood

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 7th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Looks splendid!
Today I visited a lovely little place called Dunelm. Followed by Calcot Sainsbury's....
Not posting any pictures you'll be pleased to hear

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 8th, 2019, 10:41 am

From the morning coffee spot. If you look really closely, you can see the tail fin from the last standing (although not operational) RAF Nimrod.

'Where does this path go?'

'Who cares'

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”