Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

A glimpse of the future

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

A glimpse of the future

Postby Clitheroekid » May 14th, 2024, 10:20 pm

These videos show what the latest AI apps are capable of, and it's both remarkable and, to me at least, quite frightening - https://twitter.com/GoogleDeepMind

I've realised an uncomfortable truth - not only am I now unable to keep up with technology, but I'm no longer able to delude myself that I can.

It's rather disconcerting. I have the feeling that AI is like a previously dormant volcano that's just about to explode, and that we're all strolling about on its slopes, blissfully unaware of what's about to hit us.

The more I read and watch about it the more I'm convinced that its impact will be far greater than that of the internet and mobile phones combined.

Am I being unduly cynical in feeling a sense of unease when I read their `mission statement'?

We’re a team of scientists, engineers, ethicists and more, committed to solving intelligence, to advance science and benefit humanity.

I'm sure that's pretty much what HAL's designers would have said ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJ8cAGm6JE

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Re: A glimpse of the future

Postby Hallucigenia » May 15th, 2024, 12:02 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I'm sure that's pretty much what HAL's designers would have said ...

:twisted:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 15th, 2024, 12:23 am

Clitheroekid wrote:It's rather disconcerting. I have the feeling that AI is like a previously dormant volcano that's just about to explode, and that we're all strolling about on its slopes, blissfully unaware of what's about to hit us.

Speaking as someone who lived several years on the slopes of a long-dormant volcano whose next eruption is likely to be sudden and Vesuvian ...

I'm not going to predict what AI may do. If and when it becomes more intelligent than you or me, the next battle will be over the preconceptions it challenges (one of those might or might not be your fears). We've already seen some of those arguments: for example "the algorithm is biased because of the data it was trained on".

Meanwhile it'll be the consequences of human overpopulation that bring us down in the real world. AI might offer helpful advice, but will the humans in charge accept it?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » May 15th, 2024, 7:05 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Meanwhile it'll be the consequences of human overpopulation that bring us down in the real world. AI might offer helpful advice, but will the humans in charge accept it?

What makes you think it will be humans in charge, if the AI is so clever by then? :shock:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 15th, 2024, 7:12 am

scrumpyjack wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Meanwhile it'll be the consequences of human overpopulation that bring us down in the real world. AI might offer helpful advice, but will the humans in charge accept it?

What makes you think it will be humans in charge, if the AI is so clever by then? :shock:

Why are politicians and not scientists in charge? Clue: it's not their intelligence!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 15th, 2024, 8:09 am

Clitheroekid wrote:These videos show what the latest AI apps are capable of, and it's both remarkable and, to me at least, quite frightening - https://twitter.com/GoogleDeepMind

I've realised an uncomfortable truth - not only am I now unable to keep up with technology, but I'm no longer able to delude myself that I can.

It's rather disconcerting. I have the feeling that AI is like a previously dormant volcano that's just about to explode, and that we're all strolling about on its slopes, blissfully unaware of what's about to hit us.

The more I read and watch about it the more I'm convinced that its impact will be far greater than that of the internet and mobile phones combined.

Am I being unduly cynical in feeling a sense of unease when I read their `mission statement'?

We’re a team of scientists, engineers, ethicists and more, committed to solving intelligence, to advance science and benefit humanity.

I'm sure that's pretty much what HAL's designers would have said ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJ8cAGm6JE

and benefit humanity.

I love these expressions. Reminds me of 'as a gesture of goodwill' and notices from banks and other organisations about withdrawing services and accounts 'in order to improve our service to you'....blablabla.

Yes, they make me feel uneasy too. With AI and increased processing speed, computers will have a 'fingerprint' of every person with the tiniest of details all cross-referenced. Goodbye Privacy.

Though that's pretty much disappeared anyway.

Steve

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » May 15th, 2024, 8:35 am

An interaction with AI for image enhancement. It made a good job of improving my grainy image of a damsel fly. I thought the original was quite good until AI had a go at it (enlarged). A benign application though.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » May 15th, 2024, 8:39 am

But can it tell me what my wife is really thinking?
doolally

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » May 15th, 2024, 11:59 am

scrumpyjack wrote:

The humans cant be in charge, they are a threat to the planet. Exterminate! Exterminate! (said in best dalek accent) :shock:

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Postby MuddyBoots » May 15th, 2024, 1:21 pm

doolally wrote:But can it tell me what my wife is really thinking?
doolally

Don't worry you can always get an AI girlfriend if it doesn't work out with the wife. :o

https://www.virtualgf.chat/

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 15th, 2024, 1:27 pm

doolally wrote:But can it tell me what my wife is really thinking?
doolally

Oh yes. And the answer will be "fine".

Because AI's aren't stupid :)

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 15th, 2024, 1:28 pm

Gerry557 wrote:The humans cant be in charge, they are a threat to the planet. Exterminate! Exterminate! (said in best dalek accent) :shock:

There was a Doctor Who story from around 1965 called the War Machines. It's available on BBC iplayer.

A new computer called WOTAN installed in what was then the Post Office Tower in London was being connected up to all the other computers in the world (There weren't that many in 1965). Between them they decided that mankind must be eliminated and had some machines built to do this These were the *"War Machines" of the title. Terry Nation didn't do the script, so they weren't pepperpots.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”