Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Eurovision 2024

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Eurovision 2024

Postby nimnarb » May 11th, 2024, 7:26 pm

Dross time again. Abba may make an appearance. Dutch kicked out, molesting someone apparently?

Bookies always correct and have some ridiculous song as favourites with ring ting din or someting by Baby Lasagne!!! From Croatia.

Israel, odds coming down fast for the sympathy vote.

I like Italy, with Switzerland in the mix, but then again I'm never right. On in about 35 minutes(I bet you all can't wait :lol: )

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Re: Eurovision 2024

Postby Laughton » May 11th, 2024, 10:12 pm

They obviously spent the entire budget on visuals - sound was terrible on our set. Maybe need some high priced sound system to make it work as intended.

Thankfully UK viewers not allowed to vote for UK entry - saved Mrs L wasting 15p. Thankfully it was on fairly near the start so we were able to switch off and enjoy a good game of Scrabble.

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Postby MuddyBoots » May 12th, 2024, 12:24 am

I like to tape it and watch it some months later when all the fuss and hyperbole has died down. Plus I can fast forward through any which I don't like!
I'm always a little saddened by how many sing their songs in English, when it's supposed to be showcasing the culture of all Europe.

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » May 12th, 2024, 8:55 am

I enjoyed the show. I voted for Croatia but liked the Swiss song too. The UK entry has grown on me over the weeks after the airplay it's been getting on Radio 2 but I didn't think the live vocal was particularly strong on the night. The staging was great and much better than a few years ago when it was basically a bloke in behind a microphone stand, while every other entry had wizzy graphics. The two presenters were fun!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 12th, 2024, 9:35 am

I gave up on Eurovision back in the late sixties, when the glam and the glitterballs were already de trop. Mind you, the show was also presented by Katie Boyle, so that sort of kaiboshed it for a metal head like me. :D

Wasn't it Monty Python who had the contest being won by twelve year old Sally Bent singing Bang Bang Bang Bang? Nothing changes. :|

BJ

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 12th, 2024, 12:33 pm

I missed it, as I was out for the evening - but I had watched all the songs in the semi-finals.

I think they are all trying too hard and I defo do not like the byte-sized duration of shots and the constant hypermovement - there's no respite! For goodness sake, calm down and let's see the act!
I was also amused, and a bit appalled, that it is now thought necessary for Rylan to mention if performers are wearing "tighting fitting" or revealing constumes. What on earth has gone wrong with our society if everything has to carry a warning in case one person in 50 million might be offended. Apart from the fact that any views or the performers were passing glimpses due to the hypermovement mentioned above, none of the costumes was much different to what one would see in normal life or other stage shows - such as ballet where skin tight body suits are often worn.

A load of Wusses! Get a life, snowflakes.

Anyhow, I did like the Swiss song and entertaining athletics - though I'm lost on what the heck non-binary and codes are all about - and also some of the others, particularly Bambie Thug. Our Olly was competent, but this is two years running we've suffered sound problems. Suspicious? And I reckon he was too homo-erotic to bring in the mass of voters.

Shame about the Dutch guy because that was a good fun song.

I have it all recorded, so perhaps I have just time to skip through it before lunch and the Women's FA Cup final.

Arb.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 12th, 2024, 12:46 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Shame about the Dutch guy because that was a good fun song.
Aye, not so bad for somebody with a big blue wing back chair stuck down the back of his trousers. :D

But so far the allegations against him have not been reassuring. Time will tell what really happened. :|

BJ

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 12th, 2024, 1:39 pm

I had given up on it decades ago but in the last few years I've found much amusement in switching over just for the voting! :D

It's still unsurprising as to who will and won't vote for whom, following the paths of traditional between-nation friendships and enmities (bah! Eurovision not political my foot!), although the taking away of half of the voting power from the national juries has lessened that effect on the end results.....

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » May 12th, 2024, 4:03 pm

Too wierd
Too political
Synonymous with nil point.
Anti British
Too crap

It's come a long way from Bucks Fizz

I wonder if we will get a point.

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Postby MuddyBoots » May 12th, 2024, 4:38 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Too wierd
Too political
Synonymous with nil point.
Anti British
Too crap

It's come a long way from Bucks Fizz

I wonder if we will get a point.

Let's be contrarian then, nil points is the new cool cats :D

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 12th, 2024, 4:45 pm

I think that the last time I watched was when Katie Boyle was asking "Allo Monte Carlo, quelle est la vote du Juree Monégasque?". Possibly later when Terry Wogan was making rude remarks about one or other of the acts.

I was wondering who had won and briefly turned over towards midnight to find the count still in progress, with Switzerland in the lead with about 250 points. Does anyone actually watch to the bitter end? It must be about 4am for some of those watching in the Caucasus region.

TJH

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » May 12th, 2024, 4:47 pm

It's time for Brexitovision - stop these awful songs illegally coming across to pollute Radio 2 - save at least £350m pa - if BBC didn't pay the 5 country pass to automatically have an entry - that gets humiliated every year - pensioners could have a free licence again.

T7

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » May 12th, 2024, 5:55 pm

Anyhow, I did like the Swiss song and entertaining athletics - though I'm lost on what the heck non-binary and codes are all about - and also some of the others, particularly Bambie Thug. Our Olly was competent, but this is two years running we've suffered sound problems. Suspicious? And I reckon he was too homo-erotic to bring in the mass of voters.

Surely you are not suggesting that the bloke from Switzerland is a wuss or even a snowflake. Had a beautiful ill-fitting ostrich shag jacket on. Delightful short coral mini skirt with matching sexy tights. The sneakers though were a bit naff, I question his hairstylist and he(or was it she?)was just missing a beard. Was seen with a non-binary flag(wtf is that and didn't know it existed)

I blame Bucks Fizz for all of this wussiness. Homo-erotica you say! Wassat? Rest in peace Katie and Brucie. Didn't they do well!!!

:D :D ;) ;)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 13th, 2024, 8:14 am

MuddyBoots wrote:I'm always a little saddened by how many sing their songs in English, when it's supposed to be showcasing the culture of all Europe.

well, whilst not disagreeing with you, that's always been the case. Arguably the greatest product of Eurovision is/was Abba, and they AFAIK sang exclusively in English, 50 years ago.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 13th, 2024, 8:18 am

Arborbridge wrote: .... - such as ballet where skin tight body suits are often worn.

Here are a bunch of snowflakes. Its only taken them at least two decades of self denial, sheer hard work, blood, sweat and tears, at times quasi starvation, and not a little talent to become a snowflake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYaIQNjAX_8

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 13th, 2024, 8:21 am

terminal7 wrote: pensioners could have a free licence again.

T7

what? pensioners like my mum who is on about 30K pa?

As opposed to a family with income earners on NMW short hour contracts ?

why don't the latter get a free licence instead of the pensioners with frankly excellent incomes?

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » May 13th, 2024, 8:29 am

didds wrote:
MuddyBoots wrote:I'm always a little saddened by how many sing their songs in English, when it's supposed to be showcasing the culture of all Europe.

well, whilst not disagreeing with you, that's always been the case. Arguably the greatest product of Eurovision is/was Abba, and they AFAIK sang exclusively in English, 50 years ago.

You mean you haven't got a copy of ABBA Oro en casa ?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 13th, 2024, 9:26 am

nimnarb wrote:I blame Bucks Fizz for all of this wussiness. Homo-erotica you say! Wassat? Rest in peace Katie and Brucie. Didn't they do well!!!

One good thing is that Cheryl Baker gets a lot of work at Eurovision time.

I have admired her ever since she took part in "Pop star to Opera star" some years ago. It proved that she was a real singer. Lucky that she didn't get the Queen of the Night's aria from the Magic Flute.

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 13th, 2024, 10:49 am

nimnarb wrote:A load of Wusses! Get a life, snowflakes.

Surely you are not suggesting that the bloke from Switzerland is a wuss or even a snowflake. Had a beautiful ill-fitting ostrich shag jacket on. Delightful short coral mini skirt with matching sexy tights. The sneakers though were a bit naff, I question his hairstylist and he(or was it she?)was just missing a beard. Was seen with a non-binary flag(wtf is that and didn't know it existed)

I blame Bucks Fizz for all of this wussiness. Homo-erotica you say! Wassat? Rest in peace Katie and Brucie. Didn't they do well!!!

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. The Swiss guy was terrific - it's the audiences who might be offended by skin tight costumes who are the wusses and snowflakes.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 13th, 2024, 10:54 am

didds wrote:
Arborbridge wrote: .... - such as ballet where skin tight body suits are often worn.

Here are a bunch of snowflakes. Its only taken them at least two decades of self denial, sheer hard work, blood, sweat and tears, at times quasi starvation, and not a little talent to become a snowflake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYaIQNjAX_8

I agree. Most people do not realise how much strength is required to be in the corp de ballet - and some of the stress positions they have to hold are tantamount to torture. And conversing with the men in the ballet close up is a revelation: they are massive athletes and tower above most people.

I love the Nutcracker snowflake waltz - it's a real earwig.

Arb.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”