Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Suilven

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Suilven

Postby kiloran » February 3rd, 2018, 4:07 pm

Looking forward to this at 20:30 BBC2 tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b096v0gj

Lairg to Lochinver via Suilven, a brilliant wee mountain with a drystone wall going over it.

--kiloran

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Suilven

Postby swill453 » February 3rd, 2018, 4:15 pm

As previously posted on "pic of the day" thread:

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 3rd, 2018, 5:18 pm

I agree kiloran but I can't stand Paul Muirton. Thanks though, I'll watch it.

Scott. Must be the angle showing the full ridge, but often photos show it as just an isolated peak. people do not believe me when I show them photos like that. I took some in Torridon last November in the same sort of weather.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 3rd, 2018, 5:58 pm

Dod101 wrote:Scott. Must be the angle showing the full ridge, but often photos show it as just an isolated peak.

Taken from half way up Stac Pollaidh.

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 3rd, 2018, 9:30 pm

I agree Snorvey but apparently it has done wonders for the Caithness economy, which is not saying much. The west coast is being ruined by it in season anyway. I usually go in March and late October; no tourists and no midges.

Dod

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » February 4th, 2018, 8:35 am

we first went to lochinver in the early seventies - with touring caravan .

you could get a full high tea in the village hall i think , for 50P.

also remember the culag hotel for some reason .

hoping to get up there again this year , the caravan sites sound a bit better , the north 500 run could be a problem .

suilven is unforgetable .

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 4th, 2018, 8:35 am

Good programme, I enjoyed it. As I have the others in the series so far. I've never been north of Durham in my life, but clearly I need to put that to rights. I did wonder, though, how many days a year the weather is that bright? And which times of year are the least midge-ridden? Hmmm, I'm interested.

I wasn't familiar with the presenter, but from the sound of things I ought to be because he's doing a good job. Even if he does look a bit of a townie-culture prat in that wide-brimmed hat. ;)

Had to explain to the wife what a horizon full of Munros was. I don't think she believes me even now.

BJ

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » February 4th, 2018, 9:17 am

bungeejumper wrote:Good programme, I enjoyed it. As I have the others in the series so far. I've never been north of Durham in my life, but clearly I need to put that to rights. I did wonder, though, how many days a year the weather is that bright? And which times of year are the least midge-ridden? Hmmm, I'm interested.

BJ

On the West coast it can be that clear with surprising frequency, it can also be pelting with rain, deep in mist or thick cloud and high winds, all in the same day. We have holidayed in that area a few times and in one week I've climbed stac pollaidh to see the exact same view and conditions then two days later been building a full height snowman down near the coast and then a couple of days after that the rain had washed all the snow away and that was late March.

As for midges, visit before May and you should be ok, other than that just hope it's windy.

BH

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 4th, 2018, 9:42 am

bungeejumper wrote:Good programme, I enjoyed it. As I have the others in the series so far. I've never been north of Durham in my life, but clearly I need to put that to rights. I did wonder, though, how many days a year the weather is that bright? And which times of year are the least midge-ridden? Hmmm, I'm interested.

I wasn't familiar with the presenter, but from the sound of things I ought to be because he's doing a good job. Even if he does look a bit of a townie-culture prat in that wide-brimmed hat. ;)

Had to explain to the wife what a horizon full of Munros was. I don't think she believes me even now.

BJ

April/May/June are generally the driest and clearest. Back in the 70's I spent two weeks in June in Lochinver, staying B&B at the bakery.... fresh bread a fresh fish from the harbour. Mmmmm! In the two weeks I didn't see a single cloud, it was perfection, and it never really got dark at night, just the glow of the sun moving across the northern horizon. Another guy staying at the B&B was a fisherman, going round all the lochans fishing for trout. In the 2 weeks he didn't catch a single fish, but he didn't care, he was spending perfect days relaxing in the sun with stunning scenery and the sound of the birds.

--kiloran

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 4th, 2018, 9:56 am

I was at Gairloch (not quite Lochinver I admit) in March last year and again in November and had the most brilliant weather both times. May is or used to be regarded as about the best month. July and August are to be avoided, crowded, midge filled skies and often poor weather.

When I was a youth I used to go cycling and walking all over the west coast from Sky to Durness. It has changed a lot since then and yet the basic landscape has not changed a bit. It is the most amazing place on many levels but I do not like the North Coast 500 idea because the infrastructure is just not there to handle it and like many places the very tourists who come to see a wild and different place are the very ones who are ruining it. Sky is a prime example.

And I do not like the presenter Paul Muirton with his weird accent.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 4th, 2018, 10:03 am

Dod101 wrote:And I do not like the presenter Paul Muirton with his weird accent.

I agree. I often watch these programmes despite Murton because the landscape speaks for itself, but his over-flowery language is very offputting.

Scott.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 4th, 2018, 11:40 am

The programme also showed some caves, at Inchnadamph, I think, and there were loads of nettles just outside the cave entrance. When I was there many years ago, I was chatting to a guy and he said that nettles were always a sign of human habitation, even from thousands of years ago. I'm sure he's right, I've always found nettles at the bothies I've stayed at, but I can't remember seeing nettles elsewhere.

--kiloran

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 4th, 2018, 6:13 pm

I'm an annual visitor to Lochinver, usually in June, for the long days off chasing trout in the many hill lochs. The walk to the bone caves near Inchnadamph is interesting, since it runs through a patch of the Durness Limestone (unusual in Scotland) and the stream disappears and re-appears further downstream. The harbour was significantly extended just about the same time as the inshore fishing virtually disappeared. So its now used by large continental boats fishing in deep water well off shore. The fish are landed in Lochinver and carried in refrigerated trucks across to the continent.
The harbour improvements rather spoiled the view at the Culag Hotel, which used to be very top end - so it has moved a bit down-market, and a replacement - the Inver Lodge Hotel - was built on the hill above the village. It has a Chez Roux Restaurant - well worth a visit for Lunch, and surprisingly, not too expensive. There are several other excellent eating places in Lochinver - probably the Caberfeidh being our favourite. We normally stay in a self-catering cottage where my irregular hours and fishing gear are not an embarrassment.
For the hill walker and fisher, it can be paradise, but if the wind isn't blowing the midges can be a bit annoying. If you visit in June you may be surprised at the number of Cuckoos that are present, all of which will have gone a month later. The coastal scenery is spectacular with wonderful sandy beaches just north of Lochinver, along with sea cliffs and sea stacks. Rather worryingly ticks seem to have been on the increase - so if you go tramping through the heather, make sure your trousers are well tucked into your socks. And check yourself afterwards for ticks that have made their way through your defences. Also be aware that the minor coastal roads are single track with passing paces - so make sure you are comfortable reversing your vehicle.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » February 5th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Hi folks,

I first went to the Highlands in 1962 and have since spent many holidays up there, including at times two lots of 2-week hols. Introduced my girlfriend, as she was then, to the area and she also fell in love with the area. As far as I was concerned the further north the better - camped at Broomfield, Ullapool; Big Sands, Gairloch; Silver Beach (now closed) & Portnadoran at Arisaig, bottom of Glen Coe; up Glen Nevis at Fort William; Reay (near Dounreay); Wick (next to the airport); Durness (near to Smoo Cave, maybe above it). Plenty of memories of the ferries - Kylescu, Strome, Balachulish (where we used to go the long way round because it was cheaper). Been on Skye a couple of times both times over Ratagan and the Glenelg ferry, but mainly we've been to Benderloch near Oban. Unfortunately, old age - on both sides - and a reluctance to travel very far means that we don't now get as far north as I would like.

One memory I have is of going down a single track road, Applecross I think it was, to find a donkey in the middle of the road which refused to move until we stopped. Whereupon it came round to the drivers door and stuck its head through the open window. My mate John took a photo of it - I was in the driving seat. As John said, that donkey had obviously done that before and expected to be fed!

Anyway, a query. In 1970 girlfriend & I did the grand tour - up the east coast, along the top, and down the West Coast. I have a memory of the road somewhere on the west coast dropping down a hill into a cove with a lovely sandy beach and then climbing up the other side to get out of it. Does that bring anything to mind? And yes, I know it's a long shot so I won't be too bothered if no-one can recognise it.

Also, one of the more interesting facets of travelling to the Highlands is seeing just how the roads have changed: A74 from single carriageway to 2 or 3 lane motorway; the A84/85 from Callander to Crianlarich with a lot of the nasty bends slowly becoming less nasty; A82 down Glencoe - I think it's on its third road now. I appreciate that for the locals it's a lot more convenient, but at the same time I think something has been lost - thinking of the A830 Fort William to Arisaig which is now two lanes all the way - it was single track for at least half its length when we first went over it.

Best stop now,

ten0rman

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » February 5th, 2018, 9:11 pm

ten0rman wrote:Hi folks,

I have a memory of the road somewhere on the west coast dropping down a hill into a cove with a lovely sandy beach and then climbing up the other side to get out of it. Does that bring anything to mind?

There's quite a lot of west coast. Any clues - north of ? south of ?

Also, one of the more interesting facets of travelling to the Highlands is seeing just how the roads have changed: A74 from single carriageway to 2 or 3 lane motorway.... I appreciate that for the locals it's a lot more convenient, but at the same time I think something has been lost.

I remember ( my dad driving ) grinding up the Shap behind lorries that seemed to have only 3 gears. I once, latterly, went off motorway to a pub for lunch, and I pointed out to my teenagers that the single carriageway through the village was the A6, as in the road that my dad used to get us south from Scotland. I was made to feel quite old.....

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 5th, 2018, 10:02 pm

I have a memory of the road somewhere on the west coast dropping down a hill into a cove with a lovely sandy beach and then climbing up the other side to get out of it

Lots of beaches up in the North West come to mind.
If you were coming down the coastal road from Kylesku to Lochinver, then Clashnessie and Clach Toll are possibilities.
But if it was a steep hill climb southwards from the beach, then much further south, Gruinard comes to mind.
And if your memory is playing tricks, and it was actually along the north coast, then Coldbackie is a possibility.
And for those unfamiliar with this coast there are lots of other delightful sandy beaches, which you may have all to yourself!
I particularly remember a magic summer evening on Sandwood Bay - which involves a bit of a walk, but it's worth it. We didn't see the mermaid who is supposed to frequent it.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 5th, 2018, 11:46 pm

scotia wrote:I particularly remember a magic summer evening on Sandwood Bay - which involves a bit of a walk, but it's worth it. We didn't see the mermaid who is supposed to frequent it.

Perhaps she got stuck in the quicksands.
Yes, Sandwood Bay is stunning. Spent a week lugging materials (doors, floor joists, cement) in to a bothy, walking along Sandwood Bay on each trip.

--kiloran

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 6th, 2018, 7:31 am

Nothing like as remote as further north but my sadness is that the road from Kinlochewe to Gairloch down the side of Loch Maree is now two lane all the way except for one very small bit as you approach the coast. It is a reminder of how it used to be and not that long ago either. The bit that is left is along the edge of a gorge so, a bit like Berriedale on the A9 on the east coast, they have done all the easy bits.

Dod

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 6th, 2018, 10:30 am

Yes, Sandwood Bay is stunning. Spent a week lugging materials (doors, floor joists, cement) in to a bothy, walking along Sandwood Bay on each trip.

Well Done!

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 6th, 2018, 10:43 am

Dod - some of the improvements are impressive, others less so. The Kylesku Bridge is impressive. The Ballachulish bridge is brutalist.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”