Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

I have a confession...

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: I have a confession...

Postby scotia » February 8th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Surely Nicola would be a shoo-in?

Nice try - but I hear the shout "A Wuman!!!"
I know that we have a woman first minister and a woman prime minister, but these are trivialities - what we are talking about here is the Scotland Football Team Manager. I wondered about Alex Salmond, but I have heard (or made up) a rumour suggesting that Spartak Moskva are keen on signing him.
So any other suggestions gentlemen?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » February 11th, 2018, 4:01 pm

bungeejumper wrote:When I was at university, we once had Mary Whitehouse and Lord Longford addressing the students' union in a debate

I remember attending a few debates at the Royal Geographic Society London, part of a seasonal series, back in the 90s. Despite the venue they were politically orientated. Perhaps due to the venue all speakers were very politely received, what ever their views expressed.

One of the most memorable was 'Marxist polemicist' Peter Hitchens vs Taki Theodoracopulos a writer at The Spectator who's column was called 'High Life' (positioned adjacent in each issue to a contrasting column by another writer, living in poverty, titled 'Low-life'). 'High life' centred on the life of a wealthy older well-connected London socialite.

The debate was dazzling, both were incredible speakers. Hitchen's opened by stating words to the effect 'They say I'm a Marxist but that's incorrect; I'm a Trotskyite' :lol: And so it continued. Hitchen's also wrote for The Spectator, so I suspect the series of events was organised by them.

What I concluded from these debates is - do not listen to others' judgements of others and accept them at face-value. The fact I left with huge respect for Hitchens, whilst also vehemently disagreeing with him was unexpected. The events were also inexpensive and though they might sound heavy and dull, they were seriously great entertainment, the verbal 'battle tactics' was boggling.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 11th, 2018, 6:19 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
bungeejumper wrote: He used to say that Tony Blair was the best leader the Conservative Party never had.

Discuss. :lol:

BJ

Several candidate explanations:
  1. It's a myth you're reporting (though I certainly heard the remark, so someone must've said it).
  2. It was a joke.
  3. It was his dotage speaking.
  4. The remark needs context.
If I had to bet on it, I think I'd put the humorous quip as first candidate.

Hate to burst the illusion, but I heard him say it several times, including in a speech at an investment dinner. So there's the context.

The old boy may have been losing it a bit by that stage, but he was very open-minded in the way that he assessed people, and he admired Blair's ability to lead and inspire. (All right, you're allowed to snigger at this point. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. ;))

Rees-Mogg, as Times editor (and possibly the greatest of them all ;)), is still remembered for attacking Mick Jagger's prison sentence for cannabis possession with the words: "Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?" Which infuriated Tunbridge Wells at the time, but which reflected a willingness to step outside the general perception and decide for himself/oneself. Which I think is where this thread came in?

BJ

That comment has also been attributed to Margaret Thatcher. One must have copied the other.

Mel

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » February 11th, 2018, 7:37 pm

melonfool wrote:That comment has also been attributed to Margaret Thatcher. One must have copied the other. Mel

But either way, it didn't come from Labour.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 11th, 2018, 7:39 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
melonfool wrote:That comment has also been attributed to Margaret Thatcher. One must have copied the other. Mel

But either way, it didn't come from Labour.

Obviously. That wouldn't make any sense at all.

Mel

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”