Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Year income tax free to tempt over 50s back to work ?

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)

For those who gave already retired would a year without income tax tempt you back to work ?

I'd bite the governments hand off and rush back to work
4%
I'd have to think about it very carefully but would probably be tempted back to be work
4%
I'd have to think about it very carefully but would probably not be tempted back to work
9%
No way
56%
I don't think anybody would employ me anyway (certainly not at the level of wage, even without paying income tax, which would tempt me)
13%
I don't think employers would want to take people on just for a year - so I doubt the scheme would work
14%

Total votes: 70

Myfyr
2 Lemon pips

Re: Year income tax free to tempt over 50s back to work ?

Postby Myfyr » January 20th, 2023, 3:51 pm

pje16 wrote:
Myfyr wrote:
pje16 wrote:
uryjm wrote:The simple answer to why people are retiring early is because they can afford to. The worry is that the simple answer to preventing this would be to make early retirement more unaffordable by reducing pension incentives or by restricting early access to them. I was flabbergasted when I read that the government decided not so long ago to prevent people accessing pension savings at 50 and moved it to 55. If they'd moved this to 60, then I'd have had to work until then. The only reason I can retire early is because I was able to access my pensions at 55.

I take your point but is it not an anomaly that SIPPs can be taken at 55 and the state pension 65
just saying .... :D

Before 2010 you could access your non-state pension at age 50. It was even lower for some professions - I think it was 35 for footballers. Not sure if they can access it that early now!

Have you seen that the French are getting stroppy about the pension age being raised from 62

Yes, though to be fair they do seem to get stroppy about quite a lot of things! :D :D :D

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”