Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

First day of FIRE

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Crofty11

Re: First day of FIRE

Postby Crofty11 » May 17th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Hi, Just found this site, didn't realise the Motley Fool posters had migrated. I found this subject interesting because I am FIRE, but a bit different.

ENTP...worked in Hotels, local government and Corporates until about age 38.( was sacked / made redundant 5 times) Went self employed as a trainer / Consultant, joined with a few pals, built a small business sold it to some Yanks , I was aged 53 ( now 62), left immediately giving my share of the earn -out money away.

Reason , I couldn't sit with another senior management team in an away day , grappling with the question of how 'they could build a world class business / service', the answer of course was 'just be competent' , give your customers what they need, when they need it, with minimal mistakes at the price you have agreed.

But they did pay well!!

After 'retiring' we did loads of travel fancy meals ( having started work at age 16 wife and 17 me we didn't have gap years or gap 5 years..just got on with it.)

Now much quieter , small camper van, not so fancy meals , home cooking, two dogs and of course managing the money to make sure it lasts long enough , long term plan is to throw the house keys at the carers when we get really old if we make it.

No kids so the nieces and nephews will spilt it 10 ways after the donations to charity...buy them a nice holiday for them and their kids with bit left over for some fancy meals

RececaDron
Lemon Pip

Postby RececaDron » May 17th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Crofty11 wrote:Now much quieter , small camper van, not so fancy meals , home cooking, two dogs and of course managing the money to make sure it lasts long enough , long term plan is to throw the house keys at the carers when we get really old if we make it.

Very good.

The camper trips: UK-only or into France and beyond...? Dogs go with you? How do you find that in a smallish van?

Crofty11

Postby Crofty11 » May 25th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Uk only at the moment, we did France a lot before the dogs, that needs a bit more thought, in more rural France they tend to chain their dogs up all day, so not sure about running off the lead , perhaps on the beaches.

We have a Volkswagen size camper ( its grey import from japan the Granvia), much cheaper than a Volkswagen.

With the dogs its bit cosy ( two working cockers), but we are using an awning on our next trip and we will see how it goes, the worst bit is if it rains, you have to relax about a few muddy paws..!!

Its great fun and you have to plan very carefully

dspp
Lemon Quarter

Postby dspp » May 25th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Dang, INTJ here. Is it contagious ?

regards, dspp

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » May 25th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Crofty11 wrote:With the dogs ... you have to relax about a few muddy paws..!!

That made me laugh! We have a pile of towels for those occasions... Currently sitting in the "van" with a cup of tea, trying not to mind the lingering smell of something that died on the beach that the dog found and then rolled in. :shock: Still faintly present, despite shampooing said mutt in the sea before allowing her back inside!

VRD

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”