Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Have I got enough for FIRE

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Re: Have I got enough for FIRE

Postby Chrysalis » May 31st, 2018, 6:22 pm

Hi again. I still think that ‘I can’t stand this place a moment more’ is a different problem from ‘can I never earn again’.
I’d encourage anyone feeling the former to get out and find something better (even if they don’t have a six or seven figure net worth). Even if that seems impossible/unlikely right now, I am willing to bet that it’s not. I’d also try consider whether you can scale back - many things are possible if you just ask the question/lay out your bottom line. The intolerable can become surprisingly tolerable if you don’t have to do it every day or with all your energy.
I will probably ease out of my ‘proper’ job completely over the next 2-3 years, but it’s so much easier doing it in order to create more time for things I’m getting busy with than just because I think I will break if I don’t.
Best of luck anyway, on the next stage of the adventure.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Re: Have I got enough for FIRE

Postby TUK020 » May 31st, 2018, 9:25 pm

Very much agree with Jabd2001's points.

THis article on "Managing Onesefl" by Peter Drucker is well worth a read.
https://academicaffairs.iupui.edu/AACon ... neself.pdf

Towards the end of the article, it gets onto 'the second half of your life', and this is extremely thought provoking.
It suggests that perhaps you need to think of retirement not as 'stopping doing' but more in terms of 'what do you do now?'

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”