Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

FIRE - Final Year

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Darka
Lemon Slice

FIRE - Final Year

Postby Darka » January 1st, 2021, 1:39 pm

I won't revisit the data from my previous update as not that much has changed, apart from the dates:

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24853

I've worked all my life and I'm kind of done with it - so will be retiring at the age of 52 to spend a lot more time with my amazing wife and having fun with my hobbies rather than being stuck in pointless meetings and working with people I don't like.

After checking the math, I'm bringing my resignation date forward to September 30th this year (8 months and 29 days from today), at that point we will have enough.

177 working days including notice period to go...... during the rest of this year I shall be mostly:

- spending less time in Excel except the occasional progress check (once or twice per month)
- spending much more time on hobbies and fun and building the life I want post retirement, something I've neglected to my regret

My original retirement date was going to be September 2024, that changed in August this year to September 2022, but that was still further away than I wanted hence the new date, enough is enough!

Have a great New Year everyone! :D

regards,
Darka

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Re: FIRE - Final Year

Postby 77ss » January 1st, 2021, 1:59 pm

Darka wrote:I won't revisit the data from my previous update as not that much has changed, apart from the dates:

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24853

I've worked all my life and I'm kind of done with it - so will be retiring at the age of 52 to spend a lot more time with my amazing wife and having fun with my hobbies rather than being stuck in pointless meetings and working with people I don't like.

After checking the math, I'm bringing my resignation date forward to September 30th this year (8 months and 29 days from today), at that point we will have enough.

177 working days including notice period to go...... during the rest of this year I shall be mostly:

- spending less time in Excel except the occasional progress check (once or twice per month)
- spending much more time on hobbies and fun and building the life I want post retirement, something I've neglected to my regret

My original retirement date was going to be September 2024, that changed in August this year to September 2022, but that was still further away than I wanted hence the new date, enough is enough!

Have a great New Year everyone! :D

regards,
Darka

Congratulations! Enjoy your coming freedom.

I too, 'retired' at 52. Apart from 2020, I have immensely enjoyed the past 20 years. Hobbys, activities, and travel, travel, travel!

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 1st, 2021, 2:06 pm

Something I wished I'd done a while ago.....

Don't do what I did and become obsessed by the numbers, spending much more time in excel/online than is good for you or your sanity.
This December was the first time in years that I've spent more than a week away from my FIRE spreadsheet, which is appalling when I think about it.

Don't take life too seriously and step back from the maths.
Don't leave having fun too late or indeed it might be too late.
Last edited by Darka on January 1st, 2021, 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 1st, 2021, 2:10 pm

77ss wrote:Congratulations! Enjoy your coming freedom.

I too, 'retired' at 52. Apart from 2020, I have immensely enjoyed the past 20 years. Hobbys, activities, and travel, travel, travel!

Thank you 77ss,

I'm looking forward to it, already working on my hobbies but going to put more time/effort into them now and going to enjoy this final working year as much as I can.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » January 1st, 2021, 2:29 pm

Darka wrote:I'm looking forward to it, already working on my hobbies but going to put more time/effort into them now

Hopefully, and present health/mobility permitting, this includes some aspects of fitness and activity in your plan, ideally outdoors where conditions allow: often one of/the best thing(s) you can do for your 'head' and well-being IMO, good for providing some structure and goals to your life while delivering social benefits, never mind the direct physical health advantages.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 1st, 2021, 3:00 pm

I was given early retirement at 53 and I would say take advantage of your freedom and good health so long as you have it. I was going to say 'Do not waste a day', but the joy of being retired is if that is what you want to do why not? Health is more important than any amount of travelling or poring over spreadsheets. I should know, believe me. I am personally very fortunate to be in good health even now in my late 70s and try to make use of every day.

Good luck and prosperity to all.

Dod

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 1st, 2021, 3:47 pm

When I calculated I could retire within two years, I kept a countdown of the days remaining. It was fun knowing what the number on my desk meant, with colleagues none the wiser!

One note of caution: don't burn any bridges until you have a definite "go" on your FIRE. Unless that is, part of your FIRE plan includes being fired! :lol:

Six years on from my own FIRE date, I have no regrets. I'd recommend it to anybody who wouldn't do their job as a hobby anyway.

VRD

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 1st, 2021, 4:41 pm

vrdiver wrote:When I calculated I could retire within two years, I kept a countdown of the days remaining. It was fun knowing what the number on my desk meant, with colleagues none the wiser!

One note of caution: don't burn any bridges until you have a definite "go" on your FIRE. Unless that is, part of your FIRE plan includes being fired! :lol:

Six years on from my own FIRE date, I have no regrets. I'd recommend it to anybody who wouldn't do their job as a hobby anyway.

VRD

I did exactly the same - a triangle with the days remaining numbered and to cross off at the end of the day. Not in full view of everyone but tucked under the keyboard.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 1st, 2021, 6:04 pm

tikunetih wrote:Hopefully, and present health/mobility permitting, this includes some aspects of fitness and activity in your plan, ideally outdoors where conditions allow: often one of/the best thing(s) you can do for your 'head' and well-being IMO, good for providing some structure and goals to your life while delivering social benefits, never mind the direct physical health advantages.

Completely agree and yes, lots of activities planned, I already run a lot and plan to increase the amount of swimming I do.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 1st, 2021, 6:47 pm

Dod101 wrote:I was given early retirement at 53 and I would say take advantage of your freedom and good health so long as you have it. I was going to say 'Do not waste a day', but the joy of being retired is if that is what you want to do why not? Health is more important than any amount of travelling or poring over spreadsheets. I should know, believe me. I am personally very fortunate to be in good health even now in my late 70s and try to make use of every day.

Good luck and prosperity to all.

Dod

Thanks Dod and you are right of course, Health is much more important.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 1st, 2021, 7:00 pm

As a modest addendum. I must say that I feel sorry for people that feel they need to count off the days to retirement/FIRE. I had a job which I much enjoyed, at least until the final move which I did not like and realised quite quickly that it was a mistake for me and the company. I sincerely believe that we all have a slot somewhere whether it is as a beach guard in the Seychelles or as an insurance salesman in Huddersfield. It is a shame if after 20/30 or whatever years we have not found that. I was very fortunate that after about 10 years or so I found my niche. Times change but I sincerely believe that we can all find something we want from life.

That is not to denigrate those like Darka who plan for FIRE. That may be their destiny.

Dod

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 1st, 2021, 7:03 pm

vrdiver wrote:When I calculated I could retire within two years, I kept a countdown of the days remaining. It was fun knowing what the number on my desk meant, with colleagues none the wiser!

VRD

I keep my countdown on a spreadsheet, it's purpose is to keep me focused whilst I get on with things, but I only cross days off every other week - seems to make the countdown appear quicker than it is!

And I don't intend to burn any Bridges, no need for that and as you say, want to avoid being FIRED, which is a whole different mess :D

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 1st, 2021, 7:16 pm

Dod101 wrote:As a modest addendum. I must say that I feel sorry for people that feel they need to count off the days to retirement/FIRE. I had a job which I much enjoyed, at least until the final move which I did not like and realised quite quickly that it was a mistake for me and the company. I sincerely believe that we all have a slot somewhere whether it is as a beach guard in the Seychelles or as an insurance salesman in Huddersfield. It is a shame if after 20/30 or whatever years we have not found that. I was very fortunate that after about 10 years or so I found my niche. Times change but I sincerely believe that we can all find something we want from life.

That is not to denigrate those like Darka who plan for FIRE. That may be their destiny.

Dod

Completely agree with you Dod and I did love my career originally, but years of office politics and working with some less than honest people has kind of ruined it and the stress of my working environment just isn't worth it anymore.

Working from home during Covid has made me realise how much I dislike working in a noisy office and not having to commute helps too.

I've had a good life and very much enjoyed the things I do outside of work, yes it would have been great to have found something I loved to do as work, and you never know, I might have a second career, but if I do it'll be something I really enjoy and won't be for the money.

regards,
Darka

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » January 1st, 2021, 7:25 pm

Darka wrote:Completely agree and yes, lots of activities planned, I already run a lot and plan to increase the amount of swimming I do.

If involved in (particularly) endurance sports, a big benefit of not working is that you can "recover like a pro", which largely means getting a proper full quota of sleep every night without fail, something that working life can make really awkward.

Also, with full(er) control of your schedule, you can time your outside runs/rides/walks/swims etc to coincide with the best weather. It may be a cr@ppy winter's day, but if there's a break for an hour when the rain stops or (ideally) the sun pops out, you can take full advantage of that and enjoy the associated mood boost. Not an option open to most people who just have fixed & short exercise windows open to them. Amazing what difference regularly scoring a few extra rays can make across a winter IMO.

Simple examples of where enjoying much greater control of your time - the most valuable commodity there is IMO - can make a big difference, benefiting your health and well-being.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 1st, 2021, 7:39 pm

Darka wrote:
Dod101 wrote:As a modest addendum. I must say that I feel sorry for people that feel they need to count off the days to retirement/FIRE. I had a job which I much enjoyed, at least until the final move which I did not like and realised quite quickly that it was a mistake for me and the company. I sincerely believe that we all have a slot somewhere whether it is as a beach guard in the Seychelles or as an insurance salesman in Huddersfield. It is a shame if after 20/30 or whatever years we have not found that. I was very fortunate that after about 10 years or so I found my niche. Times change but I sincerely believe that we can all find something we want from life.

Dod

Completely agree with you Dod and I did love my career originally, but years of office politics and working with some less than honest people has kind of ruined it and the stress of my working environment just isn't worth it anymore.

Working from home during Covid has made me realise how much I dislike working in a noisy office and not having to commute helps too.

I've had a good life and very much enjoyed the things I do outside of work, yes it would have been great to have found something I loved to do as work, and you never know, I might have a second career, but if I do it'll be something I really enjoy and won't be for the money.

regards,
Darka

Heavens. My post sounds a bit sanctimonious; it is not meant to be! I had better be quiet.

Anyway, yes I think a change of environment does us all good. My final job was a move across Continents you might say, and it showed me where I was happiest (and not) I was very glad in many ways to take the offered early retirement.

Dod

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 1st, 2021, 8:16 pm

Dod101 wrote:Heavens. My post sounds a bit sanctimonious; it is not meant to be! I had better be quiet.

Anyway, yes I think a change of environment does us all good. My final job was a move across Continents you might say, and it showed me where I was happiest (and not) I was very glad in many ways to take the offered early retirement.

Dod

Not at all Dod, I've always valued your opinion on things.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 1st, 2021, 8:22 pm

Darka - congratulations!

How do you plan to make use of all of your extra time?

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 1st, 2021, 8:44 pm

Spet0789 wrote:Darka - congratulations!

How do you plan to make use of all of your extra time?

Thank you Spet0789,
Just got to get to end of September without getting myself sacked first ;)

As for things to do, I have lots of interests:

relaxing, reading, running, swimming, drawing, painting, guitar, writing that novel we all have in us....
Also, I'm tempted to do another degree (open university) possibly physics related as I have an interest in quantum mechanics and general relativity.

Most important of all however is spending lots of quality time with my wife and supporting her with her hobbies and interests too.

Can't wait :D

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gostevie » January 1st, 2021, 9:05 pm

Wishing you all the very best for the coming year and beyond Darka.

I FIREd at the end of August 2020 at the age of 57 and don't regret it for one moment, even though the current restrictions mean that I haven't been able to do a lot of the things that I'd planned to do before they were introduced. On a cold or wet winter morning it is such a nice feeling knowing that I don't have to drag myself out of bed at an ungodly hour to commute to work.

My only note of caution is to make sure that you don't let anybody exploit your new found freedom. I have one friend who I have always done the odd favour for who has it in his head that now I have more time on my hands I can spend it working - unpaid - for him, but that is something for another thread on another board.

Gostevie

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 1st, 2021, 9:48 pm

Gostevie wrote:Wishing you all the very best for the coming year and beyond Darka.

I FIREd at the end of August 2020 at the age of 57 and don't regret it for one moment, even though the current restrictions mean that I haven't been able to do a lot of the things that I'd planned to do before they were introduced. On a cold or wet winter morning it is such a nice feeling knowing that I don't have to drag myself out of bed at an ungodly hour to commute to work.

My only note of caution is to make sure that you don't let anybody exploit your new found freedom. I have one friend who I have always done the odd favour for who has it in his head that now I have more time on my hands I can spend it working - unpaid - for him, but that is something for another thread on another board.

Gostevie

Thank you Gostevie,

Much appreciated and congratulations on your recent FIRE.
Hopefully the Covid situation will improve early this year and we will see more freedom and be able to start to get back to normal.

Your caution is noted and I intend to be a little selfish in retirement, in that my time will be spent profitably for my family rather than at work where for the most part it's not appreciated but expected.

regards,
Darka

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”