Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Retirement Notice Day....

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Darka
Lemon Slice

Retirement Notice Day....

Postby Darka » March 24th, 2021, 6:58 pm

...at least for my wife, she notified her manager yesterday that she intended to retire in September and set the ball in motion so that they can work out her pension, etc. (yes, sadly they need that much notice....)

So although it's not me (yet), I can vicariously enjoy the feeling by seeing her relief and reaction to letting everyone know - it's very contagious indeed!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Retirement Notice Day....

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 24th, 2021, 7:32 pm

I'm planning on retiring in 'a' June (not this one, sadly) so I get a Summer of Freedom. Failing that it'll be a nice Christmas present if I go on 'a' 1 December.
June 2022 is looking unlikely now due to virus impacts, so Dec 2022 earliest. I have a countdown spreadsheet...
Best wishes to Mrs Darka. I'm...jealous :-)

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » March 24th, 2021, 8:10 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I'm planning on retiring in 'a' June (not this one, sadly) so I get a Summer of Freedom. Failing that it'll be a nice Christmas present if I go on 'a' 1 December.
June 2022 is looking unlikely now due to virus impacts, so Dec 2022 earliest. I have a countdown spreadsheet...

Thanks AleisterCrowley,

I shall pass the message on, and I'm a little jealous too - I have 3 months notice to give, which should see me finish on the 31st Dec.

Looking forward to an excellent and relaxing New Year, without having to return to the job afterwards :D

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » March 24th, 2021, 9:24 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I'm planning on retiring in 'a' June (not this one, sadly) so I get a Summer of Freedom. Failing that it'll be a nice Christmas present if I go on 'a' 1 December.

If you do go in Dec, have a plan for what you are going to do through the winter. "Summer of Freedom" does work - you go on holiday, but you just never go back. Friends who quit into the winter found it harder I think.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 24th, 2021, 9:36 pm

genou wrote:

If you do go in Dec, have a plan for what you are going to do through the winter. "Summer of Freedom" does work - you go on holiday, but you just never go back. Friends who quit into the winter found it harder I think.

I've always thought the end of the tax year ie. about now would be an ideal time to do it just as winter has gone. Good luck to Mrs Darka!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 24th, 2021, 9:39 pm

Well, there's always drink
More healthily, winter break to sunnier climes, or a bit of winter walking in the hills (with full survival gear...)
I may try to traverse the 'killer convex' on Snowdon when iced up, wearing wellingtons and a nylon mac

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 24th, 2021, 10:07 pm

I must say I stopped work in quite reverse circumstances. I was given early retirement one September a month or so before my 53rd birthday and the 'suggestion' from my employer was that I should aim to leave at the year end. That suited me well but I was leaving a London flat which I owned to live at my house in Scotland, so had a lot of personal stuff as well as financial stuff and an office to wind down. It took me until about the following Easter to sort of settle down. I then had the summer to feel I was free to do what I liked. It was for me a huge adjustment n my life having previously worked for most of my working life in the Far East.

I rather enjoyed the challenge though and new it just had to be done.

Good luck to Mrs Darka and to Darka himself when the time comes.

Dod

Snakey
Lemon Pip

Postby Snakey » March 25th, 2021, 11:10 am

Oh, exciting times! I'm handing mine in in one week's time and so I'm pleased to hear that the feeling was relief, rather than terror and "oh no, what have I done?" since I am getting some serious panics about how this could turn out to be a disaster (mainly along the lines of: what if I change my mind and then can't get another job? Some days I feel like all they'd have to do is pat me on the head and I'd stay - which has to be the best argument for leaving that I've ever seen!)

Like our black magician above, I had always intended to go in "a June" although I was planning that it would be next year rather than this. I wish the tax year started slightly earlier as based purely on the weather mid-May would be ideal for a lovely long summer, but the marginal benefit of "one more month" proved too much of a draw for me. What was the reasoning behind September?

2021 is going to be a strange one for those looking at the alternative option of quitting at the end of the year and spending the winter decompressing somewhere hot and sunny before returning refreshed into a lovely UK summer. I wouldn't be at all confident of being able to travel abroad, and it feels like it has risks that - while always there - wouldn't previously have been on one's radar to this extent.

Congrats to Mrs Darka!

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » March 25th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Snakey wrote:Oh, exciting times! I'm handing mine in in one week's time and so I'm pleased to hear that the feeling was relief, rather than terror and "oh no, what have I done?" since I am getting some serious panics about how this could turn out to be a disaster (mainly along the lines of: what if I change my mind and then can't get another job? Some days I feel like all they'd have to do is pat me on the head and I'd stay - which has to be the best argument for leaving that I've ever seen!)

Congratulations Snakey,

I'm sure the panic will subside once you are free and you can't go on working one more month forever, have to break the cycle some time if you ever want to get out :)

Snakey wrote:Like our black magician above, I had always intended to go in "a June" although I was planning that it would be next year rather than this. I wish the tax year started slightly earlier as based purely on the weather mid-May would be ideal for a lovely long summer, but the marginal benefit of "one more month" proved too much of a draw for me. What was the reasoning behind September?

I think leaving around June would be ideal, in my case September means 3 month notice and finish in December so that I can make most use of my accrued holiday instead of having to work all of that notice.

Snakey wrote:2021 is going to be a strange one for those looking at the alternative option of quitting at the end of the year and spending the winter decompressing somewhere hot and sunny before returning refreshed into a lovely UK summer. I wouldn't be at all confident of being able to travel abroad, and it feels like it has risks that - while always there - wouldn't previously have been on one's radar to this extent.

Congrats to Mrs Darka!

Thank you, and I agree - it's going to be odd but I can't wait :)

MastG

Postby MastG » March 30th, 2021, 12:24 pm

I gave my notice in on 6th March 21, retiring 4th June.
However I have been informed human resources will not start leaver process until 6 weeks prior to retirement. !

We have our full year leave plus 5 extra retirement leave to take, so I only have 10 shifts left (and 9 overtime shifts :))

I have worked for the company since leaving school at 16(1982), this location 1993, and took a few pictures last week - leaving is bitter/sweet.

The final salary pension will make up 2/3 of my retired income.

Gary

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » March 30th, 2021, 2:20 pm

MastG wrote:I gave my notice in on 6th March 21, retiring 4th June.

Congratulations Gary, not long to go! :D

MastG wrote:We have our full year leave plus 5 extra retirement leave to take, so I only have 10 shifts left (and 9 overtime shifts :))

I intend to do something similar, I'm on holiday this week and have one more week planned later in the year but hope to take off the whole of December, effectively reducing my notice from 3 to 2 months.

I have a DC rather than a DB pension, so I'm not sure there would be much difference for me in resigning or retiring and I don't want to give the game away yet by asking.

To be honest, I'm finding it quite difficult at the moment, I don't enjoy the job anymore and I don't like my manager at all.
I need to fill some cash pots so can't pull the plug earlier than the end of September.

5M, 25D till I can quit

MastG

Postby MastG » March 31st, 2021, 12:25 am

Darka wrote:
Congratulations Gary, not long to go! :D

Seems like ages

Darka wrote:I intend to do something similar, I'm on holiday this week and have one more week planned later in the year but hope to take off the whole of December, effectively reducing my notice from 3 to 2 months.

We can take leave and banked rest days as cash, I will take 11 leave days as cash.

Darka wrote:To be honest, I'm finding it quite difficult at the moment, I don't enjoy the job anymore and I don't like my manager at all.

Strangely the nearer I get to retiring the less I dislike working, 12 hour shifts and waking 5:30 am. Even the guys I work with seem more likeable.... or perhaps I just don't care!

Good luck in reaching your retirement.

Gary

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » March 31st, 2021, 9:20 am

MastG wrote:Strangely the nearer I get to retiring the less I dislike working, 12 hour shifts and waking 5:30 am. Even the guys I work with seem more likeable.... or perhaps I just don't care!

Good luck in reaching your retirement.

Gary

Thank you, I suspect that once I hand my notice in I'll feel much better about it.

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”