Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Disparity between public and private sector pensions

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Disparity between public and private sector pensions

Postby Lootman » February 21st, 2023, 10:14 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
Lootman wrote:Ha. A problem with any type of pension is that it will always be UK source income. Meaning that it will always be subject to UK taxation even if you emigrate.

Not so, you can transfer a DB or DC pension to wherever you want, although it's best to do so to a qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme (QROPS). https://techzone.abrdn.com/public/pensions/Tech-guide-overseas-transfers

OK, fair enough, although what are odds that those "qualifying" jurisdictions just happen to be locales that will tax you at least as much as the UK?

Research left as an exercise for the reader ... :D

My point was more that pension funds are always captive funds and a hostage to fortune, and legislative risk.

As opposed to, say, an ISA that can be liquidated and exported in a flash. That is not worth nothing.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » February 21st, 2023, 10:59 pm

Jeez, is it any wonder most people don't understand pensions, my heads spinning after reading the last two pages of posts :roll:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 21st, 2023, 11:01 pm

airbus330 wrote:Jeez, is it any wonder most people don't understand pensions, my heads spinning after reading the last two pages of posts :roll:

Care to expound, rather than just disrespecting your community?

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » February 21st, 2023, 11:42 pm

Lootman wrote:
airbus330 wrote:Jeez, is it any wonder most people don't understand pensions, my heads spinning after reading the last two pages of posts :roll:

Care to expound, rather than just disrespecting your community?

Try not to get tetchy. It was an attempt at self-depreciating humour!

Failed Obs :lol:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 22nd, 2023, 11:16 am

Nimrod103 wrote:Can you run this past me again as I also have a Pre 88 GMP pension with 0% inflation increases from within the pension fund. Does that mean there will be inflation increases applied to my SP to compensate? I didn’t realise this and cannot say I ever noticed before whether this happened. Is it done automatically or do I have to remind the DWP of it?

I guess the answer is: It depends.

The description I gave is based on somebody in receipt of a Contracted Out employee pension who also started receiving their state pension before 2016. i.e. Under the old State Pension arrangements. The illustration was based on the contents on my DWP yearly update to an old style SP paid weekly (so COD amount is 1/52 of total figure for annual GMP from Contracted Out pension). If this applies then it is all automatic, the pension scheme(s) presumably sending the appropriate starting figure(s) to the DWP when your SP was due to commence.

I confess I have no information or idea how said indexation now works (or doesn't) with the new SP, which is "Flat Rate" because there is now no individual earnings related Additional Pension (such as SERPS). The post from mc2fool seems to suggest this doesn't now happen. If true (I don't know) this might be a disadvantage of the new SP. OTOH mitigated by COPE enhancement to their new flat rate SP and the entire new SP being subject to the Triple Lock, which would include the COPE value. So is there any substantial difference?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pension-fact-sheets/contracting-out-and-why-we-may-have-included-a-contracted-out-pension-equivalent-cope-amount-when-you-used-the-online-service

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 22nd, 2023, 12:13 pm

XFool wrote:I confess I have no information or idea how said indexation now works (or doesn't) with the new SP, which is "Flat Rate" because there is now no individual earnings related Additional Pension (such as SERPS). The post from mc2fool seems to suggest this doesn't now happen. If true (I don't know) this might be a disadvantage of the new SP. OTOH mitigated by COPE enhancement to their new flat rate SP and the entire new SP being subject to the Triple Lock, which would include the COPE value. So is there any substantial difference?

No, I didn't say that. I said that "the gASP minus COD calculation is baked into their 2016 "starting amount" and if it was negative/zero at the time then they will never get any govt provided increases on their GMP".

OTOH if it was positive then that positive part, rather than being increased by just CPI (less 3% for post 88), would be increased by the triple lock which, depending on a complex plethora of factors, may or may not work out better than under the old scheme, or may work out better/worse for a while and then switch.

I'd say that such matters more formally should be on the Pensions Practical board, however I'll say up front that, unlike "should I fill some pre/post 2016 NI gaps?" questions where I am happy to run through the individual calculations for fellow Lemons, I will definitely not be doing so for any requests for this matter as (a) it's fiendishly complicated and (b) most importantly, unlike filling NI gaps, there's nothing one can do about it.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 22nd, 2023, 1:39 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Can you run this past me again as I also have a Pre 88 GMP pension with 0% inflation increases from within the pension fund. Does that mean there will be inflation increases applied to my SP to compensate? I didn’t realise this and cannot say I ever noticed before whether this happened. Is it done automatically or do I have to remind the DWP of it?

The answer to the first question is yes, but you may not (yet) see it, and the answer to the second question is that HMRC keeps your GMP data and passes it to DWP when you are about to reach state pension age, and there's nothing for you to do, it's already in the mix.

Assuming you reached state pension age prior to 6-Apr-2016, here's an example of how it works. The GMP is supposed to (at least) replace the earnings related Additional State Pension you would have got had you not been contracted out. So, what happens is that DWP calculates how much ASP you'd have got if you hadn't been contracted out and then deducts the GMP you are receiving from that, and gives you the difference, if any.

There are two points of common confusion in this: firstly, when they do that they call that deduction the Contracted Out Deduction, but it's just a subtraction of your GMP amount. So actually £COD = £GMP. The second confusion is that when DWP talk (e.g. to you over the phone) about your ASP they are referring to it after that deduction. To clarify that here I will refer to the ASP you'd have got if you hadn't been contracted out as gross ASP and the amount after the COD (GMP) deduction as net ASP.

Now, there are several ways a pension scheme can choose to revalue GMP in deferment. One way is by national earnings, which is how the ASP is also revalued in deferment. So, if your scheme chose that method, then when you reach SPA, e.g....

The gross ASP you'd have got if you hadn't been contracted out would have been, say, £100
The GMP you'll receive from the pension scheme would also be £100

So, in the first year: gross ASP - COD (GMP) is £100 - £100 = £0, so you'll receive no net ASP from DWP.

Then, in the second year, if there's 5% CPI inflation your gross ASP will be raised to £105, but your pre 88 GMP stays at £100, so gross ASP - COD (GMP) gives a net ASP of £105 - £100 = £5, and DWP will add a fiver to your pension payout. Etc etc in the following years. Gross ASP will continue to increase with CPI while your pre 88 GMP won't, and DWP will add the difference to your state pension payouts.

However, some pension schemes choose to revalue GMP in deferment at a faster rate (there are a couple of prescribed methods), so it's possible to be in the situation where when you reach SPA, e.g....

The gross ASP you'd have got if you hadn't been contracted out would have been, say, £100
The GMP you'll receive from the pension scheme would be, say, £120

So, you can see that in the first year: gross ASP - COD (GMP) is £100 - £120 = - £20, which DWP floors at zero, so you'll receive no net ASP from DWP.

But if there is, say, 5% CPI inflation in each of the following years, it'll go like this:

Year 2, gross ASP - COD (GMP) is £105.00 - £120 = - £15, which DWP floors at zero, so you'll receive no net ASP from DWP.
Year 3, gross ASP - COD (GMP) is £110.25 - £120 = - £9.75, which DWP floors at zero, so you'll receive no net ASP from DWP.
Year 4, gross ASP - COD (GMP) is £115.76 - £120 = - £4.24, which DWP floors at zero, so you'll receive no net ASP from DWP.
Year 5, gross ASP - COD (GMP) is £121.55 - £120 = + £1.55 net ASP, which DWP will add to your pension payout
Etc

So, under that scheme you're not getting any inflation increases from DWP on your pre 88 GMP until year 5, but you're already getting, from year 1, more GMP than you would have got in ASP if you hadn't contracted out.

You'll have to ask your pension scheme about which method they use to revalue GMP in deferment and for the relevant figures for you, but hopefully the examples above have given you enough to understand how it works in relation to net ASP on your state pension. :D

Harry23

Postby Harry23 » February 22nd, 2023, 8:15 pm

Something I've wondered about in the discussion of public vs private sector pensions (and other Ts & Cs like pay) is the effects of unionisation with its negotiating role and willingness to take industrial action to press their case.

During recent history there's been a decline in union membership especially in the private sector, alongside the move to DC pensions. In my recollection there was less campaigning and striking to protect DB pensions in the private sector - coincidence or causation?

Another factor could be that for most public sector organisations, all staff are in the same scheme, from the lowest clerical grades up to the directors. Meaning that the most powerful people are motivated to protect it too. Compare to private corporations, do they have more generous schemes for the senior managers and directors than the regular staff?
Last edited by Harry23 on February 22nd, 2023, 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 22nd, 2023, 8:20 pm

Harry23 wrote:for most public sector organisations, all staff are in the same scheme, from the lowest clerical grades up to the directors. Meaning that the most powerful people are motivated to protect it too.

And especially when those "powerful people" are ministers, MPs and senior civil servants?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 22nd, 2023, 9:29 pm

Harry23 wrote:Another factor could be that for most public sector organisations, all staff are in the same scheme, from the lowest clerical grades up to the directors. Meaning that the most powerful people are motivated to protect it too. Compare to private corporations, do they have more generous schemes for the senior managers and directors than the regular staff?

I have seen this very point made previously (likely on TMF) in discussions about the demise of DB pensions in the private sector. One point among several others.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » February 22nd, 2023, 9:59 pm

My thanks to XFool and particularly mc2fool for taking the time to explain issues relating to Pre88 GMP pensions. Sorry to have diverged off the topic of the thread.If I have further questions I will raise them on the Pensions practical board.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » March 3rd, 2023, 8:29 pm

And then there's those of use who get a 3% NEST contribution if we put in 5% :D

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”