Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

“Investing“ in lowering living costs

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: “Investing“ in lowering living costs

Postby Dod101 » February 4th, 2024, 7:52 pm

International wrote:
I did look at investing in my electricity supplier (was SSE), but they were bought by Eon, which is private!

I still like the idea of generating my own electricity.

Not sure what you mean because you can still invest in SSE as they are an independent plc. Their retail arm was bought by OVO which is a private company so far as I know.

Dod

International
Lemon Pip

Postby International » February 5th, 2024, 6:36 pm

Dod101 wrote:
International wrote:
I did look at investing in my electricity supplier (was SSE), but they were bought by Eon, which is private!

I still like the idea of generating my own electricity.

Not sure what you mean because you can still invest in SSE as they are an independent plc. Their retail arm was bought by OVO which is a private company so far as I know.

Dod

Ah, yes, Ovo, not EON. It's Ovo who supply me now and Ovo I can't invest in.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 5th, 2024, 8:37 pm

International wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Sorry. Your meaning is obvious when it is explained. I do not know if the retail supplier would be a good investment or not but I doubt it.

Dod

International
Lemon Pip

Postby International » February 6th, 2024, 10:09 am

Dod101 wrote:
International wrote:

Sorry. Your meaning is obvious when it is explained. I do not know if the retail supplier would be a good investment or not but I doubt it.

Dod

My fault entirely. As I never signed up with Ovo, rather they took over SSE, I keep forgetting who they are! Rather miffed actually as my SSE tariff was 100% renewable and the Ovo one is not. It is on my long list of things to sort out.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 6th, 2024, 10:23 am

International wrote:My fault entirely. As I never signed up with Ovo, rather they took over SSE, I keep forgetting who they are! Rather miffed actually as my SSE tariff was 100% renewable and the Ovo one is not. It is on my long list of things to sort out.

It's the same electrons coming down the same wires from the same sources. The difference is the suppliers simply fudge who they buy their electrons from and how they source them, you're still buying electrons made from dead dinosaurs, and buying a green tariff has no difference to how energy is generated on a National scale. Let's face it, on a still cloudy day signing up for a Green tariff doesn't make the wind blow or the sun come out.

One of many articles explaining it here

https://www.renewableenergyhub.co.uk/bl ... lectricity

Paul

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 6th, 2024, 11:33 am

DrFfybes wrote:
International wrote:My fault entirely. As I never signed up with Ovo, rather they took over SSE, I keep forgetting who they are! Rather miffed actually as my SSE tariff was 100% renewable and the Ovo one is not. It is on my long list of things to sort out.

It's the same electrons coming down the same wires from the same sources. The difference is the suppliers simply fudge who they buy their electrons from and how they source them, you're still buying electrons made from dead dinosaurs, and buying a green tariff has no difference to how energy is generated on a National scale. Let's face it, on a still cloudy day signing up for a Green tariff doesn't make the wind blow or the sun come out.

One of many articles explaining it here

https://www.renewableenergyhub.co.uk/bl ... lectricity

Paul

This.

Which is why I've never paid the extra for a green tariff.

It only took a moment's thought to realise that, if every energy user signed up to a green tariff on the same day, the energy companies would have some explaining to do...

Watis

Niksen
Lemon Pip

Postby Niksen » February 12th, 2024, 9:31 am

DrFfybes wrote:It's the same electrons coming down the same wires from the same sources. The difference is the suppliers simply fudge who they buy their electrons from and how they source them, you're still buying electrons made from dead dinosaurs, and buying a green tariff has no difference to how energy is generated on a National scale.

A decade ago I had some business dealings with a number of large chemical companies who ran thermal power stations using the waste heat from their industrial processes. At the time the rules in play allowed them to do what was called a 'green for brown' swap, whereby the electricity they generated from their industrial processes was notionally exported to the grid to counter the electricity that that plant was using from the grid.

In reality of course no electricity went anywhere and that coming out of the thermal power station was being used on-site, and all that was leaving were the pieces of paper certifying the the generation of 'green' electricity to be sold to the grid and the utilities for the consumers wanting renewable electricity.

Although the rules have changed and no longer permit such a 'green for brown' swap, I am sure that the minds that thought that scheme up haven't given up on thinking up new ones.

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”