Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Creating an HYP screen

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
JASpencer

Creating an HYP screen

Postby JASpencer » September 17th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Are there any good articles on stock screens for HYPs out there?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Creating an HYP screen

Postby Gengulphus » September 17th, 2017, 6:43 pm

JASpencer wrote:Are there any good articles on stock screens for HYPs out there?

None I know of, but my own experience of screening to get HYP candidates has given me some rules of thumb:

* Check the completeness and accuracy of the screening site about the figures you'd like to screen on, and only use the ones that do well. For example, using the ADVFN screen some years back (I haven't checked whether that's still the case), I discovered that screening on dividend cover there was not a good idea - too many companies were missing a dividend cover figure. (Even quite a few companies that did have both P/E and dividend yield figures - which was a bit weird because dividend cover can be calculated as 100%/(P/E * yield)...)

* Make your screen "loose" - its objective is to get you down to say 2-3 times as many candidate companies as you want in your HYP, not to get you down to that number. Try to make it get you down to that number and you'll almost always find that it gives you several candidates in currently-unpopular sectors and not enough in others - and it will probably give you a few companies that you'll end up saying "No way!" about on closer inspection. I.e. the role of a HYP screen is not to do all the work of vetting companies for you, nor even almost all of it - it's just to get it down to a manageable level of work.

* Don't feel you ought to screen on everything you're interested in checking. Yield plus 2 or 3 figures that suggest dividend sustainability/growability are ample - and that helps achieve both the first point above (you don't find yourself trying to rely on unreliable data) and the second (the more checks you put in a screen, the "tighter" it will become...).

Gengulphus

JASpencer

Postby JASpencer » September 17th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
JASpencer wrote:Are there any good articles on stock screens for HYPs out there?

None I know of, but my own experience of screening to get HYP candidates has given me some rules of thumb:

* Check the completeness and accuracy of the screening site about the figures you'd like to screen on, and only use the ones that do well. For example, using the ADVFN screen some years back (I haven't checked whether that's still the case), I discovered that screening on dividend cover there was not a good idea - too many companies were missing a dividend cover figure. (Even quite a few companies that did have both P/E and dividend yield figures - which was a bit weird because dividend cover can be calculated as 100%/(P/E * yield)...)

* Make your screen "loose" - its objective is to get you down to say 2-3 times as many candidate companies as you want in your HYP, not to get you down to that number. Try to make it get you down to that number and you'll almost always find that it gives you several candidates in currently-unpopular sectors and not enough in others - and it will probably give you a few companies that you'll end up saying "No way!" about on closer inspection. I.e. the role of a HYP screen is not to do all the work of vetting companies for you, nor even almost all of it - it's just to get it down to a manageable level of work.

* Don't feel you ought to screen on everything you're interested in checking. Yield plus 2 or 3 figures that suggest dividend sustainability/growability are ample - and that helps achieve both the first point above (you don't find yourself trying to rely on unreliable data) and the second (the more checks you put in a screen, the "tighter" it will become...).

Gengulphus

Thank you very much for those tips, they sound like accumulated wisdom. Are there any sites in particular that you would recommend for the screening?

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » September 18th, 2017, 8:29 am

JA Spencer

I use the Stepone as a first step. You might want to have a quick look at that tool.

Raptor.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 18th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Back in 2013 JohnnyCyclops posted a 'Simple HYP Screen' on TMF's HYPP board and posted regular monthly screens for several years after that. It was based around DigitalLook's screener.

JohnnyCyclops wrote:Digital Look requires an account to be setup, but it's free... I set the following five parameters...
https://web.archive.org/web/20150508114 ... 08251.aspx

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » September 25th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Breelander wrote:Back in 2013 JohnnyCyclops posted a 'Simple HYP Screen' on TMF's HYPP board and posted regular monthly screens for several years after that. It was based around DigitalLook's screener.

JohnnyCyclops wrote:Digital Look requires an account to be setup, but it's free... I set the following five parameters...
https://web.archive.org/web/20150508114 ... 08251.aspx

Wow, that a coincidence, I was just thinking of JohnnyCyclops and that very screen this morning! Thanks for posting the link. If my memory serves me correctly, JC stopped running the screen every month because Digital Look fiddled with their website or data feed so he couldn't do it easily anymore. I might run the screen in SharePad when I get the chance and see what companies appear.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 25th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Hypster wrote: If my memory serves me correctly, JC stopped running the screen every month because Digital Look fiddled with their website or data feed so he couldn't do it easily anymore. I might run the screen in SharePad when I get the chance and see what companies appear.

As I recall (no doubt JC can correct me if I'm wrong) it was the average ftse yield the became unavailable. DigitalLook used to be unique in providing a yield that was the average of the yields of the constituents, as opposed to other sources that gave a cap-weighted yield figure.

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”