Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (October 2021)

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (October 2021)

Postby Itsallaguess » October 1st, 2021, 12:45 pm

Below is a table of AIC-listed Investment Trusts which yield 3.5% or higher as at October 1st 2021.

The table is shown grouped by AIC sector, and then ranked in descending order of yield for each sector, and also shows relevant Discount or Premium information, along with the 5-year dividend growth-rate for each Investment Trust, and with a new additional column showing the relevant OCF charges including performance fees.

Please note that if anyone wishes to replicate this type of data-set themselves at any time, there are some instructions at the bottom of this post on how to do that...

I've dip-checked the above data, but please do note that it should be used only as a starting-point for further investigation, and it should certainly be the case that you should carry out your own due-diligence on any data that you may use for any subsequent investment decisions that you might wish to make...

A good source to cross-check some of the above data, if anything does look interesting or even suspicious, is the TrustNet website, which also gives yield and discount information for these types of investments - https://www.trustnet.com/

Here are some instructions to be able to generate up-to-date yield-data in the future, using the above excellent AIC website -

1. Open the AIC website (https://tinyurl.com/yawfc9zy)

2. Select the 'AIC Sector Selection' button, and then the 'AIC VCT Sectors' button, and then click the 'Deselect all AIC VCT Sectors' button to remove the VCT data from this list.

3. Also in the 'AIC Sector Selection' area, make sure the tick-boxes for 'Include AIC sector weighted averages', 'AIC weighted averages sorted to top', and also 'Include industry averages' are un-ticked.

4. In the 'AIC Equity Sectors' sections, and also the 'AIC Alternative Sectors', check to make sure that all of the sub-sector boxes are ticked to bring in the data for all of those sub-areas.

5. Select the 'Data points' button, and then in that section, open the 'Additional Data Points' area, and in there, select the 'TIDM', the 'Div cover (yrs)', and the 'Ongoing charge inc Perf fee (%)' tick-boxes.

6. Select the 'Filters' button, and then set the 'Dividend Yield' option to '3.5%+'

7. Underneath this settings-area, you should now have an up-to-date data-table similar to the above, broken down by AIC Sectors.

8. If you want to import that data into a spreadsheet, to perhaps then rank by sector and yield, then you should enable the option to view the data in 'Print Mode' by selecting the 'Save / Print' option, which can be found above the AIC settings area used above, and then selecting the 'Enable Print Mode' button - the AIC data will then be represented on-screen in a way that can be bulk-selected and copied into a spreadsheet.

• Please do note that if you don't select the 'Enable Print Mode' option, and you try to copy the data into a spreadsheet, then it's likely to only copy some of the data...

If anyone wants to investigate any of the Investment Trusts listed on the AIC website any further, for instance if they want to look at the underlying portfolio holdings, then the simplest way to do that is to just Google 'AIC xxxx', where 'xxxx' is the EPIC for the Investment Trust in question. The AIC page for that IT will usually be the first returned hit on that search, and then going to that AIC page and clicking on the 'Portfolio' section of the AIC page will list the underlying data for that IT, which includes quite a lot of useful information regarding the make-up of each income-related Investment Trust. An example here is the 'Portfolio' page for Henderson Far East Income (HFEL) - https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/0P00008ZSY/portfolio

Link to September 2021 data - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31015

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (October 2021)

Postby moorfield » October 4th, 2021, 9:52 am

Thanks for posting this. AIC is an excellent resource, the more I look into it.

Swanmore22
Lemon Pip

Postby Swanmore22 » October 4th, 2021, 1:23 pm

Tks Itsallaguess

Do you own any of the trusts on the list ?

We have Biopharma Credit, JP Asia and JP China, BRWM,EAT and a new posn in EPIC

Swan

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 5th, 2021, 6:56 am

Swanmore22 wrote:
Tks Itsallaguess

Do you own any of the trusts on the list ?

We have Biopharma Credit, JP Asia and JP China, BRWM,EAT and a new posn in EPIC

Hi Swan,

I own a few of them, and posted a general list of my IT holdings back in June, linked below -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=27395&p=423797#p423797

I generally tend to do top-ups of existing holdings through the year, and might perhaps look to introduce a new holding at the start of a new ISA tax year whilst I'm currently still working and accumulating both work-related savings and also internally-generated portfolio income.

It's a drum-beat that works well for me, and I don't tend to churn much at all in terms of portfolio holdings, with the only sales I ever really carry out being some once-a-year transfers between non-tax-sheltered holdings and ISA's nowadays.

One of the single biggest benefits I've seen from moving from a portfolio of single-share holdings to a broadly income-IT based portfolio has been the almost complete 'hands-off' situation that shift has enabled, and whilst I still have an ongoing interest in the income-strategy itself, my investments more or less run themselves nowadays, which is exactly the situation I wanted to get myself into as I look forward to hopefully moving into a 'non-working' period of my life...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 6th, 2021, 12:52 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:One of the single biggest benefits I've seen from moving from a portfolio of single-share holdings to a broadly income-IT based portfolio has been the almost complete 'hands-off' situation that shift has enabled, and whilst I still have an ongoing interest in the income-strategy itself, my investments more or less run themselves nowadays, which is exactly the situation I wanted to get myself into as I look forward to hopefully moving into a 'non-working' period of my life...

Yes I am pondering this too. And if you still need a "hobby" to fill all that spare time you have you can run a "paper" HYP instead and report it here. :lol:

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » October 6th, 2021, 1:32 pm

moorfield wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:One of the single biggest benefits I've seen from moving from a portfolio of single-share holdings to a broadly income-IT based portfolio has been the almost complete 'hands-off' situation that shift has enabled, and whilst I still have an ongoing interest in the income-strategy itself, my investments more or less run themselves nowadays, which is exactly the situation I wanted to get myself into as I look forward to hopefully moving into a 'non-working' period of my life...

Yes I am pondering this too. And if you still need a "hobby" to fill all that spare time you have you can run a "paper" HYP instead and report it here. :lol:

Or, take up the study of economics and try to read the runes re which geographic regions/niche activities you wish to target future investments towards.

So for instance I still buy Asia, North America and Tech trusts, with odd top ups re logistics/warehousing and I currently avoid UK, EU, developing markets re new money/dividends. Now this may change but the process is pretty much I vaguely think about world trends, all in a very unscientific way and getting yield from each IT is now less important, these days I just want a portfolio that overall gets over 3.5%.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » October 9th, 2021, 11:04 am

Thanks once again now up to 57 ITs. Sold more US stock and added to IT's. I sell the winners to lock in the capital gain and keep the losers that will keep producing income. In the long term the income will overcome the initial capital cost and may even return to profit. The Sipp is for the long haul even though I might not make it.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 9th, 2021, 11:08 am

taken2often wrote:
Thanks once again now up to 57 ITs.

Even as a fan of Investment Trusts, that number feels more than a little excessive.

Would you be willing to start a new thread breaking your holdings down into themes and/or regions, and detailing why you think you need so many diverse IT holdings to achieve your current investment aims?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » October 10th, 2021, 10:55 pm

On your first list I have 4 so another potential 8. On the second list I have 11 of 13 so another 2 potentials. For the last twenty years since stopping work I have invested for income and this has worked well. I make so much income now and it has to be spent on something. So I have 17 PIBS, 15 Prefds, 57 ITs, 23 UK Shares, 11 US shares (some CEFs), 1 Unit Trust and 1 ETF. I tried to restrain my SIPP due to 75 year LTA August last year. Covid saved me a small fortune. The money saved I decided that I would rather trust ITs than ordinary shares. Recently I have sold a lot of US shares so this week I topped up over 30 of my holdings. This usually means the market will drop and I should have waited.

My situation is this. I will never draw on my SIPP, so due to the income reinvested this grows each year. The capital will fluctate but the income grows The ISA. I have no need to touch so the income for this keeps growing. My taxable share account income provides my needs. Any big purchase such as a car comes out of this fund so every pound spent saves 40% IHT.

In due course when inflation hits and interest rates rise I will start buying Pibs and Prefs again when the price drops. What I do tends to be against the normal rules of investment. Selling winners to use the funds to buy higher income. Keep losers if the income is good and not concerened about capital
loss.

So your Posts are very helpful as a starting point, much appreciated
Bob

Shelford
Lemon Pip

Postby Shelford » October 19th, 2021, 4:52 pm

Bob: sorry, but this is a bizarre investment strategy to me. The consequence of investing in 57 Investment trusts is you will have multiple small investments in the same holdings, and probably 1000s of individual holdings = average. If you are not touching the money, you might save yourself a small fortune in fees and stick with a world tracker like VWRL or Vanguard 80/20 or 50/50 if you want a 'balanced' portfolio.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 19th, 2021, 6:40 pm

Shelford wrote:The consequence of investing in 57 Investment trusts is you will have multiple small investments in the same holdings, and probably 1000s of individual holdings = average. If you are not touching the money, you might save yourself a small fortune in fees and stick with a world tracker like VWRL or Vanguard 80/20 or 50/50 if you want a 'balanced' portfolio.

Yes, but 53 trusts does avoid the single-manager risk.

And one should not overlook the hobby element.

V8

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 20th, 2021, 8:15 am

Shelford wrote:Bob: sorry, but this is a bizarre investment strategy to me. The consequence of investing in 57 Investment trusts is you will have multiple small investments in the same holdings, and probably 1000s of individual holdings = average. If you are not touching the money, you might save yourself a small fortune in fees and stick with a world tracker like VWRL or Vanguard 80/20 or 50/50 if you want a 'balanced' portfolio.

I think 57 varieties is excessive, but just one investment such as VWRL is incessivce (which sounds like it should be the opposite of that 8-) ).

VWRL is OK, but I would still be adverse to putting all my eggs in one basket, especially one which is heavily invested in one country only. Nothing wrong with VWRL, but it just goes against the grain not to spread things around, speaking as a life long hedge better.

Arb.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » October 20th, 2021, 6:12 pm

Thanks for the response. So after have a look at the top of the post. I purchased another three now 60. Only had limited funds so I bought 3000 Aberdeen Asian Income AAIF 5000 BMO Managed Portfolio BMPI and 5000 JP Morgan Elect JPEI. Forced to buy 2,2 and a 1 so three charges at £8.95.

With H-L I have fixed charges for the SIPP and ISA and no charges for the Taxable account. So with my range of investments I pay buttons, for great on line services.

Yes I will have doublers or treble or more of the same stocks, but I also have access to a whole range of stocks I would not buy, and I get them at a discount. So this week I just gave my self a £700/800 annual increase in my SIPP income and this will continue to compound annually.

Another way of looking at is I have built my own annuity

Bob

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » October 24th, 2021, 3:16 am

I am intrigued by the purchase of BMPI along with 59 others.
A reasonable allocation in BMPI for me serves to reduce the numbers but I am operating with a much smaller pot.

I can see sense in adding just to that to effectively top up 40 at a time.
I currently top up just FCIT on a drip (at a hefty discount and with a buy back program active) as a catch all and leave the rest of my holdings alone, which isn't quite the same admittedly.

W.

JohnnyCyclops
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnnyCyclops » October 24th, 2021, 11:18 am

From BMPI factsheet - "The Income Portfolio invests in a diversified portfolio of at least 25 investment companies that have underlying investment exposures across a range of geographic regions and sectors and that focus on offering an income yield above the yield of the FTSE..."

Puzzling.

https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/0P0000I39J

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » October 25th, 2021, 7:28 pm

Third attempt. Each month I have income that has to be spent. If an IT has 3.5% yield plus and I do not have it I buy it

Bob

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 29th, 2021, 9:30 pm

What does dividend cover (yrs) mean, as opposed to just div. cover? On the face of it, it would seem that some of the high dividends are not well covered which I would find rather worrying. I am, however, keen to reduce my huge no. of individual shares so am trying to decide which ITs to transfer into. At present, I am more interested in total return, however. Has anyone done a list of those? My existing ITs are Scottish Mortgage, which has done very well for me, Monks which has done OK and an Invesco income one which I inherited from my husband, which is showing a loss from the price at transfer approx. 3 yrs ago I might ditch that one. I do like the idea of a world index trust, however.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » October 30th, 2021, 7:18 am

Bouleversee wrote:.....At present, I am more interested in total return, however. Has anyone done a list of those? My existing ITs are Scottish Mortgage, which has done very well for me, Monks which has done OK.....

Easy to get using the AIC screener. Well worth playing around with.

5 yr total returns (annualised):

Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust plc heads the list with 35.02%

followed by

Allianz Technology Trust Plc 31.68%
Pacific Horizon Investment Trust 30.78%
Edinburgh Worldwide Investment Trust Plc 27.49%
Geiger Counter 27.23% (not one I've come across before)
Montanaro European Smaller Companies Trust Plc 26.92%
BlackRock Throgmorton Trust plc 26.89%

etc

Monks is down at 20.62% - still very respectable in my view.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 30th, 2021, 5:30 pm

Many thanks, 77ss. I must confess I hadn't heard of AIC before I spotted this thread. Could you please give me a link to the list which contains those figures. I Googled AIC but couldn't find the total return list and am very short of time. Some of the names you mentioned were on my list of ITs to have a look at when I can find the time but I should like to see what others have done as well, though as we are told the past is no guide to the future. Without a crystal ball, however, it's all I have to go on.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 30th, 2021, 6:09 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Many thanks, 77ss. I must confess I hadn't heard of AIC before I spotted this thread. Could you please give me a link to the list which contains those figures. I Googled AIC but couldn't find the total return list and am very short of time. Some of the names you mentioned were on my list of ITs to have a look at when I can find the time but I should like to see what others have done as well, though as we are told the past is no guide to the future. Without a crystal ball, however, it's all I have to go on.

AIC...

https://www.theaic.co.uk/

However....

https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/find-compa ... &desc=true

See column 12 ( 10 year share price return) click on the ( very) small arrows ( triangle shaped !)

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”