Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (April 2022)

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (April 2022)

Postby Itsallaguess » April 2nd, 2022, 3:53 pm

Below is a table of AIC-listed Investment Trusts which yield 3.5% or higher as at April 2nd 2022.

The table is shown grouped by AIC sector, and then ranked in descending order of yield for each sector, and also shows relevant Discount or Premium information, along with the 5-year dividend growth-rate for each Investment Trust, and with an additional column showing the relevant OCF charges including performance fees.

Please note - the company names in the table below are URL links to the respective AIC 'Portfolio' page for each investment, which will then show the underlying holdings, geographic breakdown, and other useful company-specific information. From there, other tabs on each AIC page can then lead to areas such as Overview, Performance, Dividends, Charges, and others...

If anyone wishes to replicate this type of data-set themselves at any time, there are some simple instructions at the bottom of this post on how to do that...

I've dip-checked the above data, but please do note that it should be used only as a starting-point for further investigation, and it should certainly be the case that you should carry out your own due-diligence on any data that you may use for any subsequent investment decisions that you might wish to make...

A good source to cross-check some of the above data, if anything does look interesting or even suspicious, is the TrustNet website, which also gives yield and discount information for these types of investments - https://www.trustnet.com/

Here are some instructions to be able to generate up-to-date yield-data in the future, using the above excellent AIC website -

1. Open the AIC website (https://tinyurl.com/yawfc9zy)

2. Select the 'Choose your AIC Sectors' button, and then click 'Deselect all sectors' and then 'Reselect all sectors, followed by a manual un-selection of all the lower 'VCT' sectors group.

3. From within the 'Sectors' window, select the link on the bottom right labelled 'Select your data points', which will then open the data-points selection window.

4. In the 'Data points' window, click 'Deselect all', and then manually select TIDM, Management Group, AIC Sector, Traded Currency, Total Assets, Discount/Premium, 5yr Div Growth Rate (% pa), Ongoing charge including performance fee, Dividend Cover (yrs), and Dividend Yield (%)

5. Close the 'Data points' window

6. Select the 'Finish and Save / Print' button, and in the window that appears, make sure to un-select the 'Include AIC sector weighted averages' box, and then select the box marked 'Enable Print Mode', before closing that window

7. The presented AIC data can now be copied and pasted into a spreadsheet, and then filtered by sector or yield as required.

• Please do note that if you don't select the 'Enable Print Mode' option, and you then try to copy the data into a spreadsheet, then it's likely to only copy some of the data...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (April 2022)

Postby moorfield » April 2nd, 2022, 6:29 pm

This is an incredibly useful resource, thank you IAAG.

I have just about talked myself now into recycling some holdings into higher yield ITs over the next few years, beginning with a disposal of AZN yesterday. I won't expand on the various reasons for that here, other than to say they will help me advance further along the path to a portfolio yielding more than the higher rate income tax threshold before I am 55. Many would settle for that I imagine. How that income is implemented (shares or ITs), I'm starting to feel less dogmatic about.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 2nd, 2022, 7:02 pm

moorfield wrote:
This is an incredibly useful resource, thank you IAAG.

I have just about talked myself now into recycling some holdings into higher yield ITs over the next few years, beginning with a disposal of AZN yesterday.

I won't expand on the various reasons for that here, other than to say they will help me advance further along the path to a portfolio yielding more than the higher rate income tax threshold before I am 55.

Many would settle for that I imagine. How that income is implemented (shares or ITs), I'm starting to feel less dogmatic about.

Thanks moorfield.

I've been moving away from single-share income-holdings for some years now, and having just taken a quick look at my ISA plans for the coming weeks, I see that I'll soon be around 65% Investment Trusts, and 35% single-shares, as proportions of my invested capital, although a section of those IT's are more growth-related rather than being pure income plays.

I plan to continue that transition over the next few years, and eventually expect to end up in a position where the vast majority of my dividend income will be delivered by higher-yield Investment Trusts of one flavour or another...

For me personally, the move away from income-related single-shares has been a very successful one, and the conscious shift has delivered all I was hoping for and more at both a financial and personal level, and I'll be interested to hear of your own experiences in those areas as you also start to make that shift yourself.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » April 3rd, 2022, 5:33 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I plan to continue that transition over the next few years, and eventually expect to end up in a position where the vast majority of my dividend income will be delivered by higher-yield Investment Trusts of one flavour or another...

For me personally, the move away from income-related single-shares has been a very successful one, and the conscious shift has delivered all I was hoping for and more at both a financial and personal level, and I'll be interested to hear of your own experiences in those areas as you also start to make that shift yourself.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Can I ask what it was you didn't like about income related single shares? Thanks.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 3rd, 2022, 6:14 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
I plan to continue that transition over the next few years, and eventually expect to end up in a position where the vast majority of my dividend income will be delivered by higher-yield Investment Trusts of one flavour or another...

Can I ask what it was you didn't like about income related single shares? .

I've just got a shock when trying to look back for an old thread that I started on this topic, and found that it was written nearly three and a half years ago now -

The one-way HYP revolving door....

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15438

After having another read of that opening post from back in December 2018, and given the time that's passed since, all I can say is that all the positives I'd experienced and written about with my change of income-strategy at that time have become more prominent in terms of both their delivery, and how important they are to me.

In essence, I see an income-strategy based on widely-diversified Investment Trusts as being the Zen-like strategy I thought I was getting into when I first looked into the single-share HYP approach...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » April 3rd, 2022, 7:09 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:In essence, I see an income-strategy based on widely-diversified Investment Trusts as being the Zen-like strategy I thought I was getting into when I first looked into the single-share HYP approach...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks for your reply. I do rather suspect that the sort of person who will buy individual shares is not going to be the sort of person who will sit back Zen-like and ignore those individual shares. And probably they shouldn't ignore them! TJH seems to have good success with his individual shares and he's about as far from Doris as you can get. Plus, of course, Doris was paying an accountant to do the donkeywork, and that doesn't come for free.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 3rd, 2022, 10:52 pm

MrFoolish wrote:I do rather suspect that the sort of person who will buy individual shares is not going to be the sort of person who will sit back Zen-like and ignore those individual shares. And probably they shouldn't ignore them! TJH seems to have good success with his individual shares and he's about as far from Doris as you can get. Plus, of course, Doris was paying an accountant to do the donkeywork, and that doesn't come for free.

I have contemplated switching to ITs as my dotage approaches, but haven't felt the need or the desire to do that. The fact that I enjoy running my portfolio, and also that it continues to achieve my objectives, mean that I haven't yet felt the urge to make the change.

TJH

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 4th, 2022, 5:53 am

MrFoolish wrote:
I do rather suspect that the sort of person who will buy individual shares is not going to be the sort of person who will sit back Zen-like and ignore those individual shares. And probably they shouldn't ignore them!

TJH seems to have good success with his individual shares and he's about as far from Doris as you can get.

I agree.

The thing is, I don't remember 'Only really suitable if you're a Terry!' being the strap line on the HYP advertising....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 4th, 2022, 7:46 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:The thing is, I don't remember 'Only really suitable if you're a Terry!' being the strap line on the HYP advertising....

The principal caveat is that you should not take your eye off your portfolio for many days. A lot can happen in a short time, particularly when corporate actions of take-over bids are concerned.

It pays to keep abreast of RNS posts and to monitor your share prices at least weekly, in my view. Daily is better.

TJH

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 4th, 2022, 8:03 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
The thing is, I don't remember 'Only really suitable if you're a Terry!' being the strap line on the HYP advertising....

The principal caveat is that you should not take your eye off your portfolio for many days. A lot can happen in a short time, particularly when corporate actions of take-over bids are concerned.

It pays to keep abreast of RNS posts and to monitor your share prices at least weekly, in my view. Daily is better.

Bloody hell - that sounds like a full time job!

I think the general convention is to use a much, much smaller font for those types of scary caveats...

Investors not willing to scour daily RNS reports, or closely follow corporate news related to their portfolio holdings, or compile daily prices for the single-share investments they own, may not be suited to the HYP approach....But hey....Doris....:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 5th, 2022, 9:25 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Bloody hell - that sounds like a full time job!

I think the general convention is to use a much, much smaller font for those types of scary caveats...

IInvestors not willing to scour daily RNS reports, or closely follow corporate news related to their portfolio holdings, or compile daily prices for the single-share investments they own, may not be suited to the HYP approach....But hey....Doris....:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

A good example is Aviva's announcement this morning of their B-share issue and share consolidation.

No doubt it will have been picked up and details posted on this site. No need to scour RNS posts. But one does need to know what will happen.

TJH

Myfyr
2 Lemon pips

Postby Myfyr » April 29th, 2022, 3:28 pm

I think ACIC (Aberdeen China) has stopped paying dividends so not sure why it is showing in the above table.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » May 3rd, 2022, 9:05 am

Myfyr wrote:I think ACIC (Aberdeen China) has stopped paying dividends so not sure why it is showing in the above table.

I agree. I have let Morningstar know and overwritten it on the AIC website for now until they fix their data. Thanks for flagging.

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”