Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Terry Smith says investing for income useless

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Terry Smith says investing for income useless

Postby Lootman » March 6th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Gengulphus wrote: I didn't misunderstand you. I knew perfectly well what you'd said, as quoted. I agree that you didn't suggest that it was impossible for an investor to beat the S&P 500 without investing in those four shares. But you did say (not just suggest) that those who did so need to explain where they got 2 trillion in market capitalisation. I did so, and I don't need to do any such thing - and indeed if I did need to, I would be utterly incapable of doing so because I quite simply didn't get 2 trillion of market capitalisation.

Wrong. Your statement would be a perfect refutation of my statement if I had claimed that those four shares were the highest appreciating shares over whatever time period we were discussing (which we didn't discuss). But I didn't say that and, indeed, even gave an example proving that is not true.

Again, if you invest in an equal-weighted way, and re-balance and do everything else that implies, then my statement would have less validity. For that matter you could have been 100% invested in a tiddler and got very lucky. Or bet the farm on a recovery or special situation. Or had inside knowledge.

However, at least for those who take some note of size, or for those who invest in funds or professional vehicles all of which do that of necessity, then you will really struggle to explain how you did that. And I notice in fact that you did not explain the basis for your claim :)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 6th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote: I didn't misunderstand you. I knew perfectly well what you'd said, as quoted. I agree that you didn't suggest that it was impossible for an investor to beat the S&P 500 without investing in those four shares. But you did say (not just suggest) that those who did so need to explain where they got 2 trillion in market capitalisation. I did so, and I don't need to do any such thing - and indeed if I did need to, I would be utterly incapable of doing so because I quite simply didn't get 2 trillion of market capitalisation.

Wrong. Your statement would be a perfect refutation of my statement if I had claimed that those four shares were the highest appreciating shares over whatever time period we were discussing (which we didn't discuss). But I didn't say that and, indeed, even gave an example proving that is not true.

Another, equally futile attempt at wriggling out of having said that "If you haven't owned Apple, Google, Amazon and FaceBook for the last 10/20 years AND yet you claim to have matched or beaten the S&P 500 then you need to explain where you got that 2 trillion in market cap accretion." by pretending that my refutation wasn't about it.

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 6th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Another, equally futile attempt at wriggling out of having said that "If you haven't owned Apple, Google, Amazon and FaceBook for the last 10/20 years AND yet you claim to have matched or beaten the S&P 500 then you need to explain where you got that 2 trillion in market cap accretion." by pretending that my refutation wasn't about it.

You missed a few words there. I said "without explaining it". You have explained how it might be possible but not how it actually happened.

I am happy to wait for your explanation so it can be assessed for validity.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 6th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:Another, equally futile attempt at wriggling out of having said that "If you haven't owned Apple, Google, Amazon and FaceBook for the last 10/20 years AND yet you claim to have matched or beaten the S&P 500 then you need to explain where you got that 2 trillion in market cap accretion." by pretending that my refutation wasn't about it.

You missed a few words there. I said "without explaining it". ...

No, you didn't - that is the very first occurrence of the phrase "without explaining it" in the entire thread.

Lootman wrote:... You have explained how it might be possible but not how it actually happened.

I am happy to wait for your explanation so it can be assessed for validity.

You will have to wait a very long time, because my refutation was of your statement that I "need to explain" something that quite simply didn't happen - i.e. me getting 2 trillion in market cap accretion. Any purported explanation of it would completely undermine my refutation and/or my credibility, depending on how true an explanation it was.

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 7th, 2018, 1:09 am

Gengulphus wrote:No, you didn't - that is the very first occurrence of the phrase "without explaining it" in the entire thread.

No, read again. My request was both that you beat the cited index and that you be able to explain how it was achieved. You failed the second part of that requirement.

Given the context, of course, you really would have to also add how you did that using income shares, but I'm going to let that one slide for now.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 7th, 2018, 7:20 am

Gengulphus wrote:You will have to wait a very long time, because my refutation was of your statement that I "need to explain" something that quite simply didn't happen - i.e. me getting 2 trillion in market cap accretion.

The 2 trillion reference was to the combined market cap of the FAANG shares I cited. Clearly it was not a reference to the size of your portfolio or portfolio gain, else I suspect you would be a household name.

Although upon reflection the situation isn't quite as extreme as I suggested. The current value of the US stock market is about $30 trillion. One can probably say that 80% of that is the S&P 500, so call that $24 trillion. So that 2 trillion I cited is still less than 10% of the index. And even if we regard that all as "recent" accretion, the odds that an investor could out-perform that index whilst ignoring those 4 shares is more likely than I suggested, although still a lot less than 50%.

Take a look at charts of RSP and IWM, versus SPY for varying time periods. RSP is the equal-weight index ETF for the S&P 500 and IWM is the ETF for the Russell 2000, i.e. small caps. When those ETF out-perform SPY then the megacap market leaders will typically have under-performed the market. In recent years momentum investing has been successful, as those big names became even bigger, and SPY did better.

And in fact some income names have done very well - from memory Microsoft, Boeing, Caterpillar and Deere have all doubled in the last two years or so, and each has a decent dividend yield, at least by US standards. So with a good bit of luck an income investor might even have beaten the index. Although the recent advances in low-yielding Tech and Biotech names probably still makes that less common, hence the curiosity about how investors managed it (assuming that they really did manage it of course, and aren't cherry-picking dates, and that they are not comparing apples with oranges, and that they understood why they out-performed).

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » March 7th, 2018, 8:08 am

Moderator Message:
Enough. lootman and Geng move on. Keep on topic and stop bickering, it is beneath you. Raptor.

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » March 7th, 2018, 11:06 am

I'm a dividend seeking investor - mostly in ITs and, from next month, will be using the dividends to fund a significant part of our retirement income.

The issue for me with a "total return" strategy is that unless I hold a single security, I have to decide which one(s) to trim at intervals to provide me with my required income. I could easily chose a less than optimal sale strategy.

I'm happier taking the dividends and letting the portfolio run - I'm not looking for market beating performance, just enough dividend growth to match or beat inflation. Capital performance - within reason - is of lesser importance. Sort of an IT version of a HYP, I guess.
Last edited by mickeypops on March 7th, 2018, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 7th, 2018, 11:06 am

Lootman,

Given what Raptor has said while I've been writing a response, I've cut it down to a suggestion as to how we can move this particular matter on. I don't actually agree with him that insisting my refutation is taken only as a refutation of the statement it responded to and nothing more is "bickering", but it's clearly pointless saying anything more about that.

As to how we can move this particular matter on, my suggestion is that you amend the statement my refutation responded to, i.e. "If you haven't owned Apple, Google, Amazon and FaceBook for the last 10/20 years AND yet you claim to have matched or beaten the S&P 500 then you need to explain where you got that 2 trillion in market cap accretion." to include whatever extra features you intended it to say or now want it to say. I can then respond about whether my own investment success over the last 20 years still refutes the amended statement. There is a good chance that it won't, but it does depend on what your amendments are.

I could of course try to initiate that way forward myself, by making a guess (an informed one, because of things you've said since my refutation, but still a guess) as to what your amendments would be, and responding accordingly. But that would be putting words into your mouth, which I definitely don't want to do.

Gengulphus

Ivyrobert

Postby Ivyrobert » March 7th, 2018, 3:52 pm

I started to buy shares because dividends looked better than building society savings rates. Companies that have high growth give the implied intent that, one day, they will pay good dividends. But that was the start of the learning journey and now I am battle scarred with a steady yield shielding blue chip disasters with the odd small company zoomer.
Get diversified and make sure you have some of each type.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 7th, 2018, 4:13 pm

The issue for me with a "total return" strategy is that unless I hold a single security, I have to decide which one(s) to trim at intervals to provide me with my required income. I could easily chose a less than optimal sale strategy.

I assume that you are talking about taking profits from the equity part of your portfolio. You can indeed use one security, such as a world tracker. It is cheaper to make that up from several funds, in which case you can take profits from whatever is most overweight, or failing that in rotation.

If you have a share portfolio, you can take profits by giving the largest holdings a haircut. That way, you preserve diversification and are not making a judgement.

In the good times, you may not need to take profits from capital. The dividends will be enough. In the bad times, your dividends may be not be enough, even if you started with a high yield.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 7th, 2018, 4:35 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:.
In the bad times, your dividends may be not be enough, even if you started with a high yield.

So you sell some of your capital increasing the likelihood that the yield will continue to not be enough and a feedback loop could start.

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » March 7th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Smith's interview describes investing for income "a mistake" and that we should invest in growth companies and funds. We'd be better off top slicing to create income.

I cant disagree - EXCEPT that when markets are falling, as they invariably do, and will, it's pretty tough selling stuff off because you need to eat. That's when dividend investing comes into its own. Plus, if you don't need all the divis, you can chose where to reinvest the surplus.

So I reckon Smith has a point while his undoubtedly successful fund continues to thrive, until it doesn't....

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 7th, 2018, 6:46 pm

So you sell some of your capital increasing the likelihood that the yield will continue to not be enough and a feedback loop could start.

That is the scenario where you have sold all your bonds, and the dividends have been slashed so low that you have to sell stock to eat. I would highly recommend avoiding that situation, if at all possible. Hopefully, there will still be a functioning social security system if this does happen.

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » March 7th, 2018, 8:08 pm

mickeypops wrote:Smith's interview describes investing for income "a mistake" and that we should invest in growth companies and funds. We'd be better off top slicing to create income.

I cant disagree - EXCEPT that when markets are falling, as they invariably do, and will, it's pretty tough selling stuff off because you need to eat. That's when dividend investing comes into its own. Plus, if you don't need all the divis, you can chose where to reinvest the surplus.

So I reckon Smith has a point while his undoubtedly successful fund continues to thrive, until it doesn't....

It also depends on if your portfolio is large enough you can have some dividend trusts to provide your minimum income and some growth trusts for the good stuff.

Investment trusts are maybe a safer method of looking for dividend income as they can withhold some income as an insurance to try and maintain and even increase dividends in a downturn (City of London for example). It is also handy if you can have a decent (1-2 year minimum) holding in safe and quickly accessible funds (cash, short dated bonds or even premium bonds).

Having an option of being able to jump in to some short term work to top up income in hard times to top up dividend income is another nice to have.

You can only go so far with this though. Nothing in life is guaranteed. Guy me and the Mrs used to work with had just completed his 40 year service and died of cancer 2 weeks after being diagnosed after delaying his retirement for a good couple of years (both him and his Mrs would have got hefty DB pensions as well as being loaded. That is what scared the Mrs more than anything and helped make the decision to jump but mine in the short term is more semi to 75% retired.

We are not loaded and have no big DB pension, but we also have no dependants to leave anything to and worse case later in like could release equity from the house.

You just have to make a judgement call at some point.

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » March 7th, 2018, 8:58 pm

I’m not disagreeing Inv. The topic is about Smith saying that income investing is a mistake. My take is that it is as valid as investing in growth assets- there is more than one road to Damascus, and, in the end, it’s horses for courses.

Me - I’m heading into retirement and it suits my personality to live off the dividends and permit the capital to fluctuate with the market, almost HYP like, but using a diversified portfolio of income producing ITs, in my case.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 7th, 2018, 11:09 pm

1nv35t wrote:The main risks with dividends are 1. that firms strive to maintain them, even if that entails borrowing to do so and if that fails then both the share price and dividends can be lost; And 2. they are variable. A Safe Withdrawal Rate out of total return is a constant inflation adjusted income mechanism, perhaps 3% of the portfolio value as the initial, uplifting that amount by inflation each year. And were more often that can be revised upward in subsequent years. Looking at total return has the added benefit that it steers you to look at diversification to include other assets that can lower overall portfolio risk but that might pay no income - as its the total return that is the focus, not just one element of total return (dividends/interest).

OK, what do you do in a 1974 situation? Share values fell to very low levels but dividends kept on coming.

I know that you have this fixation with Total Return, but there is a difference between selling off capital and just taking dividends.

TJH

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 7th, 2018, 11:57 pm

tjh290633 wrote:OK, what do you do in a 1974 situation? Share values fell to very low levels but dividends kept on coming.

I know that you have this fixation with Total Return, but there is a difference between selling off capital and just taking dividends.

I can't speak for ****** but from my perspective the ultimate objective of any investment strategy is to obtain cashflows. These may be dividends, of course, but they may also be gains and the return of your capital. Taking a broader view they can also be rents, interest, premia and so on.

My approach is to drawdown a certain amount each year and that will typically be from a mix of such cashflows. I don't really differentiate based on the source - there is cash in my taxable account and whether it came from dividends, proceeds or corporate actions isn't important to me. What is important to me is that there is enough of it there when I need it!

And that process happens a good deal as a byproduct from doing things like realising gains to utilise my annual CGT allowance or performing "bed-and-ISA transactions". I also won't withdraw dividends from my ISA because I want to maximise the amount in it. So better to spend gains from my taxable account than dividends from my ISA.

It's obviously comforting to know that your annual dividend income exceeds your annual spend. But that's really just another way of saying that you are probably fairly well off anyway and that you would be fine in any event. Let's face it - if you have a net worth of a million over and above your home, then you could probably just live off the capital.

Where the danger arises with income investing and an approach like HYP is where the person isn't so well off, and can't "just live off the dividends" unless they reach for higher yields and thereby take on extra risk. And it is in that sense that I tend to agree with Smith and the total return folks here.

Moderator Message:
Edited to remove poster id as requested. Raptor.

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » March 8th, 2018, 9:41 am

Honestly, I don;t think there's a rght or wrong answer to the Dividends v. Capital v. Mixture drawdown debate. There is such a "thing" as the psychology of the investor, and some of us find one method more suited to our own particular make-up than other methods. I "like" harvesting a high yield portfolio and leaving the capital untouched - as much as possible - for extended periods.

I'm building an income "float" to help smooth out any ariation in returns. My God, I'm turning all Luni! Help!

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 8th, 2018, 10:56 am

1nv35t wrote:Dividends are a greater risk, you can't phone up the company and ask to not be paid a dividend this year because the state had opted to punitively tax them and you have enough in cash already anyway ...

Actually, you can do exactly that! Whether the company grants your request is the thing that is in doubt, not your ability to make it... ;-)

Which has a serious point to it, namely that the company probably will grant the request if enough shareholders make it, or can be forced not to pay dividends by shareholder resolution. And companies that can see a clearly-better tax situation for their shareholders as a whole are reasonably likely to come up with changes to how they pay their shareholders themselves. Minor examples include companies that normally pay their dividends not too long after the start of a new tax year bringing them forward to just before the end of the previous tax year if the new tax year's tax changes include ones to make dividends more heavily taxed.

A more major example is that I understand from others' posts (it's about a decade before I got any experience at all of dividends or any other significant investment income) that when investment income was punitively taxed in the 1970s, companies found methods to make capital payments to their shareholders in place of dividends. Plenty of such methods still exist - examples include issues of redeemable shares (as done by Rolls-Royce, though for company tax reasons rather than shareholder tax reasons), tender offers and share buybacks. They do all now have to have a single dividend-income-or-capital-payment decision made for all shareholders by the company (which it does by choosing to pay a dividend or use another method), not individually by shareholders, because tax law now says that if shareholders get such individual choices, the payment will be taxed as dividend income regardless of its actual nature. So there aren't as many as there were, and the ones that do exist aren't as flexible as some of the ones that have gone - but there are still quite a few of them. And they do generally have more flexibility than dividends, specifically with regard to receiving or not receiving the payment - one can choose not to redeem one's redeemable shares, whether to tender one's shares in a tender offer, whether to sell one's shares on the market or not when the company is buying shares back. (The advantages of dividends are the flip side of that flexibility: a streamlined payment process that involves fairly low costs and no difficult decisions for either company or shareholders once the amount to be distributed has been determined.)

The point of all that is that people often talk about the possibility of punitively taxing dividends as though it would be dead easy. But it isn't, not as anything more than a meaningless political gesture that quite quickly ends up raising very little tax, because companies can rapidly switch to other methods of distributing surplus cash. In particular, many companies already have all the mechanisms in place for both paying dividends and doing buybacks: for them, it would literally just involve a decision to put less cash into dividends and more into buybacks. And while buybacks are disliked by many individual shareholders, I suspect that dislike would pale in comparison with their dislike of punitive taxation!

Also, a lot of their dislike of buybacks is basically due to the practical difficulties an individual shareholder faces in participating in a buyback: they see cash going to big shareholders and not to themselves. And while in theory they can participate by selling into the market proportionately to and in sync with the buybacks, there are the practical difficulties of the selling costs (both monetary and the investor's own time) and of exposure to market price fluctuations between the time the company buys back and the time they sell, with a trade-off to be made between the two: the more closely you try to track the buybacks, the less the exposure to share price fluctuations but the greater the selling costs. The point of which is that I'm pretty certain that a "participate in buybacks" service for shareholders could be designed that would reduce those difficulties in the same way that DRiPs reduce the difficulties of reinvesting small dividends, and would be if there were sufficient demand for it. And companies increasing the use of buybacks at the expense of dividends because dividends were being punitively taxed might well set off that demand...

None of that's to say that punitive increases in the taxation dividends are subject to won't happen. They might, but to be reasonably effective at raising tax revenues, they would have to be accompanied by either blocking off other methods of returning cash to shareholders or corresponding punitive increases in the taxation those other methods are subject to.

As a result, I'm not very worried about the possibility of punitive taxation that applies specifically to dividends, since I think it would be little more than an ineffective, easily-worked-around political gesture. Which doesn't mean that it won't happen - such gestures have been known (*) - but if it does, it's at most likely to require a bit of rearrangement of my investments.

I am more worried about the possibility of punitive taxation that applies more generally to investment returns. But there's little or no reason for that to be relevant to a decision about whether to invest in dividend-paying or non-dividend-paying shares today, even if I'm intending to hold them long-term.

(*) CGT's 30-day rule is IMHO one of them - supposed to stop "bed-and-breakfasting", and technically did, but tax advisers were phoning their clients within 24 hours after it was announced to let them know of alternative ways of achieving the same effect...

Gengulphus

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”