Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

FD's IT income portfolio - 5 years on.

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
funduffer
Lemon Quarter

FD's IT income portfolio - 5 years on.

Postby funduffer » June 5th, 2018, 7:22 pm

I started an IT basket for generating income just over 5 years ago. To briefly summarise the objective of this portfolio:

1. Supplement my pension with regular tax free income (using ISA’s).
2. Earn at least 4% dividend from the capital I have invested
3. Expect the dividend income to keep pace with inflation
4. Keep portfolio charges down below 1% (I have achieved 0.9% TER overall)
5. Preferably buy at discount or at worst a small premium. (I have just about achieved this overall)
6. Mainly UK centred, but some global exposure, and some diversification to manage risk.
7. Use this IT portfolio as a benchmark for my HYP, with the long-term aim of reverting the HYP into this (or similar) basket of IT’s when I lose the will or capability to run the HYP in my dotage.

Having invested equal amounts in the first 7 IT’s originally in 2013, the current status looks like this:

Company Name	               Ticker	Value %	Yield
Henderson Far East Income Ltd. HFEL 14.1% 5.6%
BlackRock World Mining Trust BRWM 10.0% 3.9%
City of London Inv Trust CTY 13.9% 3.8%
Dunedin Income Growth Inv Trust DIG 11.1% 4.7%
F&C Capital & Income Inv Trust FCI 15.0% 3.1%
Scottish American Inv Company SCAM 14.3% 3.0%
Standard Life Equity Inc Trust SLET 14.6% 3.5%
Murray International Inc Trust MYI 7.1% 4.3%

In the past year I top-sliced SCAM and used some accumulated dividends to add MYI to the portfolio. I decided MYI would add a bit more international diversification to the portfolio. Otherwise, there has been no other buy/sell activity in the past 5 years, and all income has been withdrawn, and either spent or re-invested elsewhere.

Income

The forecast yield on 1st purchase in May 2013 was 4.2%, and the current forecast yield is 3.9% - close to my target of 4%. I have seen steadily rising income from all the IT’s except Blackrock World Mining (BRWM) which cut its dividend in 2016-17. I unitise this portfolio, and income per unit has increased by 9.5% over the last 4 years, which is CAGR of 2.3%, about the same as inflation, despite the BRWM dividend cut. I am fairly satisfied with this.

Capital

Capital is up just over 13% from what I invested. The 2 extremes are BRWM, which is down 15%, and SCAM which is up 44% (hence the top-slice).

Comparison to HYP and FTSE AS

I have unitised both this portfolio, as well as my HYP. I use income units to make the comparison. My HYP was started later, so I can compare the IT’s and HYP over 3.5 years which allows a direct comparison without the large dividend drag effects in the first year of each portfolio.

Over this 3.5 year period, the IT basket unit price has increased by 18.5%, the HYP unit price has declined by 3% and the FTSE AS has increased by 15%. I can only explain this result by the relative out-performance of the international components of the IT portfolio compared to the UK FTSE AS. My HYP capital performance has been pretty bad, mainly due to the likes of Carillion, Capita and AMEC FW - but that is another story!.

Income per unit (i.e current yield) from my IT is 3.9% based on past 12 months of dividends and today’s unit price, largely just reflecting the increase in capital. The equivalent for my HYP is 5.5%.

In summary, the overall IT portfolio has delivered income steadily from inception, except for Year 4 when it declined due to the BRWM dividend cut, but overall has just kept pace with inflation. However, capital performance has been strong. I am reasonably happy, and the portfolio is much easier to run than the HYP, although of course it yields quite a bit less.

Running this portfolio is really very simple – I just withdraw the income, and everything else takes care of itself. Virtually no trading costs, no platform ISA costs and no tax to pay (all ISA’d) – just the TER taken by the IT.

Thanks for reading and I am Interested in any comments, or suggestions.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: FD's IT income portfolio - 5 years on.

Postby Darka » June 6th, 2018, 8:28 am

Thanks funduffer, a great post.

I've been building my IT portfolio to sit along my HYP for a year or so and intend to boost it more over the coming years before retirement as I believe it will be less volatile than my HYP, and provide income support to the HYP.

Without getting into specific numbers of course, how large are the two in comparison with one another, it the IT portfolio bigger?

thanks
Darka

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » June 6th, 2018, 8:50 am

Thanks for the post. I run ah IT HYP alongside my Share HYP as a comparison strategy. Going forward I am adding more to the IT side than the Shares, with the view of ease of management, in case the need arises. Your figures compare roughly with mine. I post my "total" porfolio over on the Portfolio forum every April. I started off with 5 of Luni's basket cases, MYI, MRCH, SCF, HFEL and DIG. Last year diversified more into North Americas with MCT (now at par with the other 5), next I intend to add a European focused trust, looks to be JETI at the moment.

Good to see another IT portoflio.

Raptor.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » June 6th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Darka wrote:Thanks funduffer, a great post.

I've been building my IT portfolio to sit along my HYP for a year or so and intend to boost it more over the coming years before retirement as I believe it will be less volatile than my HYP, and provide income support to the HYP.

Without getting into specific numbers of course, how large are the two in comparison with one another, it the IT portfolio bigger?

thanks
Darka

Hi Darka, the 2 portfolios are about the same size, HYP being about 10% larger.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » June 6th, 2018, 4:22 pm

My top 20 per my HL SIPP by value, Shell is obviously not an IT, JP Morgan Indian and Emerge plus Fidelity China are not high yield they are very low/no yield, and as HL only does top 20 it missed two so I have added these at bottom.There are a few yields at the lowish 3% ish level but overall average 3.99% inc the nil yielder/very lower yielders.

1 North American Income Trust 7.9 [N/A]
2 Fidelity China Special Situations 6.5 [N/A]
3 Henderson Far East Income 6.1 [N/A]
4 Royal Dutch Shell B 6.0 [N/A]
5 Edinburgh Investment Trust 5.6 [N/A]
6 Merchants Trust 5.4 [N/A]
7 City of London Investment Trust 5.3 [N/A]
8 Aberdeen Asia Income Fund 5.2 [N/A]
9 Blackrock North American Income Trust 5.1 [N/A]
10 Standard Life Inv Prop Inc Trust 4.7 [N/A]
11 Murray International Trust 4.7 [N/A]
12 European Assets Trust NV 4.6 [N/A]