Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

FTSE 350 - Sector and Yield table

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

FTSE 350 - Sector and Yield table

Postby Itsallaguess » August 26th, 2018, 9:29 am

Below is a list of FTSE 350 constituents listed by SECTOR and then ranked by YIELD within each sector.

Only shares represented in the HYPTUSS Digital Look data-sheet are populated, so there may be minor omissions in the data below.

I've dip-checked the data, but if anyone finds it interesting then please only use it as an initial guide, with follow-on investigations certainly being required for any further investment purposes....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: FTSE 350 - Sector and Yield table

Postby 88V8 » August 26th, 2018, 11:25 am

This is a pithy posting.
Thankyou very much for taking the trouble.
Current FTSE yield 4.1% in the 100, and 2.6% in the 250, it says here https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... et=ftse100. So that's the benchmark for pure HYP.
Haven't bought anything new for a while. Worth a browse on a wet Sunday.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 26th, 2018, 12:05 pm

88V8 wrote:
Current FTSE yield 4.1% in the 100, and 2.6% in the 250, it says here https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... et=ftse100.

That's great, thanks - I should really have included this sort of detail with my table, and I'll try to do so next time.

88V8 wrote:
Haven't bought anything new for a while. Worth a browse on a wet Sunday.

That's what I thought too when I saw the huge swathe of rain coming in, so I'm glad it's going to provide some help with that!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 26th, 2018, 12:19 pm

very useful - thanks.

i see i dont have any banks, utilities , construction , BT or royal mail , amongst others .

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » August 26th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Along the same lines, I used the "step one" spreadsheet to get the basic HYP table based on:-

HYP Practical
For the HYP Practical board we define an HYP as a portfolio comprised exclusively of ordinary shares. If selected, such shares should have a dividend yield above the average for the FTSE100 index and be drawn from the constituents of the FTSE 350 index. At its simplest, it will have at least 15 holdings, none of which should be from the same sector. A long term buy and hold (LTBH) of these shares is envisaged.

Investment Trusts or open ended funds should not be included, although REITs are acceptable.

No checking done, based on FTSE100 4/1%. Data is from 31st July.

Shares in Red are in my HYP. Those in Blue, I have held at some point.

A wet sunday does wonders for idle minds.

Mind you this does focus me a bit as end of next month I intend to "spend" in my ISA.

Raptor.

Edited. 12:52 Going the extra step and adding my own "criteria", if I was to spend today based on that, it would be a "new" buy of Greene King. To compliment my Marstons.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » August 26th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Below is a list of FTSE 350 constituents listed by SECTOR and then ranked by YIELD within each sector.

Only shares represented in the HYPTUSS Digital Look data-sheet are populated, so there may be minor omissions in the data below.

I've dip-checked the data, but if anyone finds it interesting then please only use it as an initial guide, with follow-on investigations certainly being required for any further investment purposes....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Moderator Message:
Request to remove data table to make thread easier to follow. Raptor

Thankyou for this, very interesting. Will spend some of my afternoon on this. :)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 26th, 2018, 2:24 pm

88V8 wrote:Current FTSE yield 4.1% in the 100, and 2.6% in the 250, it says here https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... et=ftse100. So that's the benchmark for pure HYP.

Well, it's actually the benchmark for posting about the company on the HYP Practical board ("pure HYP" is IMHO a pretty meaningless term). Or should 3.93% be the benchmark?

https://markets.ft.com/data/indices/tea ... =UKX.D:FSI

Or maybe yet another source?

Or perhaps it's a rather fuzzy boundary?

Gengulphus

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 26th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
88V8 wrote:Current FTSE yield 4.1% in the 100, and 2.6% in the 250 ..... So that's the benchmark for pure HYP.

Well, it's actually the benchmark for posting about the company on the HYP Practical board ("pure HYP" is IMHO a pretty meaningless term) ....perhaps it's a rather fuzzy boundary?

Yes, that's the benchmark to which I was alluding.
Although I realise some people are addicted to shares of lower yield.
Diageo, for example. I believe their products can cause fuzziness ;)

V8

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 28th, 2018, 7:31 am

Looking down these lists does make me realise that specifiying the FTSE 350 does through up many companies which I doubt Pyad would have included, for the are rather too small.

I'd prefer to stick with his original liking for large companies, perhaps dipping in to the top of the 250 only. The FTSE350 does seem convenient, but also represents, in my view,unwarranted mission creep away from the original idea that "buy biggest and best in a sector" was one of our safety factors.

Arb.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 28th, 2018, 9:18 am

But ARB, what if the biggest is not the best? In some sectors there may be only one share in the FTSE100, yet several smaller companies in the lower index which are much more attractive. Look at Chemicals for example. After ICI and BOC were taken over I think only Croda remained and the yield on that was unacceptably low. There were better prospects lower down the table.

I went for Yule Catto, now Synthomer, which suffered in 2008 and has never fully recovered its yield, but I got out at a reasonable level. Perhaps that proves your point, but that market shake up was no respective of market cap.

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 29th, 2018, 7:25 pm

tjh290633 wrote:But ARB, what if the biggest is not the best? In some sectors there may be only one share in the FTSE100, yet several smaller companies in the lower index which are much more attractive. Look at Chemicals for example. After ICI and BOC were taken over I think only Croda remained and the yield on that was unacceptably low. There were better prospects lower down the table.

I went for Yule Catto, now Synthomer, which suffered in 2008 and has never fully recovered its yield, but I got out at a reasonable level. Perhaps that proves your point, but that market shake up was no respective of market cap.

TJH

As regards your last point, let's remember one cannot prove the general from the particular.
As regards the opening remark, Pyad designed HYP around the largest companies and I mostly go with that. If "the best" in my opinion is too small, then it's simple: it is still to small and would not be bought.
Clearly, all of us will arguably have different own lower limits, but the lower 350 is far too small and certainly not HYP as originally designed - that was my point. It was an essential part of the HYP safety review and should not be lightly thrown out.

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 29th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Clearly, all of us will arguably have different own lower limits, but the lower 350 is far too small and certainly not HYP as originally designed - that was my point. It was an essential part of the HYP safety review and should not be lightly thrown out.

I tend to agree with this, and as the poster of the opening table, I wouldn't want to be seen to be personally endorsing income-investment from many of the lower market-cap options that might be available.

With that said, there are often compelling stories to be found that may pay a good income whilst they play out, and I like to have some capital available for such companies to provide a bit of stimulating interest, but nowadays, in the main, if I've looking to invest relatively large amounts of capital in the mid-yield range, then I'm quite happy to utilise an Investment Trust, and with it gain some welcome instant-diversification in the vast majority of cases.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”