Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Terry Smith - the problem with investing for dividends

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Howard
Lemon Quarter

Terry Smith - the problem with investing for dividends

Postby Howard » October 5th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Interesting article by Terry Smith on October 3rd.

He makes a strong case that individual investors should fund their retirement by taking capital rather than investing for dividends.

see: http://www.fundsmith.co.uk/news/article ... eds-income

Some of us have had a discussion about his example of Warren Buffett before. I'm personally not sure he is a good example, because Warren Buffett does invest for income. Many of his holdings are fairly high-yield long-term investments. It is his personal investors who invest in Berkshire Hathaway who don't get any income, but can sell some of their capital when they want funds for, say, retirement.

Also Terry assumes that we all have to pay higher rate tax on our dividends. Some of us are lucky enough to have our millions invested in Sipps and Isas :D so we don't have to pay tax on income within the wrapper. Of course if, like Terry and Warren, you are worth 100s of millions, this tax issue is a tad more important.

regards

Howard

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Terry Smith - the problem with investing for dividends

Postby Alaric » October 5th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Howard wrote:He makes a strong case that individual investors should fund their retirement by taking capital rather than investing for dividends.

Particularly if you use Investment Trusts, you can have a pseudo defined benefit scheme, the advantage of which is that you know your likely income well in advance of actually retiring.

The method is to invest where you get dividends that are high, increasing or both. Whilst still working you reinvest, when retired you spend. With Investment Trusts usually managed to stabilise and maintain payouts, you know your likely income well in advance. If you are selling to raise income, there's always the problem as to how much to sell if markets are down.

I suppose Terry Smith's wealth is such that even the maximum contributions of £ 20,000 to an ISA or £ 40,000 to a SIPP is just small change and not worth bothering with. As the UK tax system stands at present, if a UK tax payer at higher rates, CGT is perhaps lower than the rates of dividend tax.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » October 5th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Howard wrote:Interesting article by Terry Smith on October 3rd.

He makes a strong case that individual investors should fund their retirement by taking capital rather than investing for dividends.

Some of us have had a discussion about his example of Warren Buffett before. I'm personally not sure he is a good example, because Warren Buffett does invest for income. Many of his holdings are fairly high-yield long-term investments. It is his personal investors who invest in Berkshire Hathaway who don't get any income, but can sell some of their capital when they want funds for, say, retirement.

Also Terry assumes that we all have to pay higher rate tax on our dividends. Some of us are lucky enough to have our millions invested in Sipps and Isas :D so we don't have to pay tax on income within the wrapper. Of course if, like Terry and Warren, you are worth 100s of millions, this tax issue is a tad more important.

regards

Howard

Firstly, let me say that I have a large, long time holding in Fundsmith (it's now 12.5% of my equity investments) but that's not the same as saying I worship at the feet of Terry Smith. You don't have to like someone to invest in them - I like the investment approach of the fund but loathe the fact he is pro-brexit but lives in Mauritius, no doubt for tax reasons.

I have noticed in the past that he's not immune to using information selectively where it supports a point he wants to make, or more generally "to talk his own book" - there's no doubt he's a very good fund manager but also a really great salesman. I have often watched the Fundsmith AGM and been amazed at how weak the Q&A session was. It's a good job for Terry that I've never been, but then again, he might not like my question and avoid it unless it fitted into his own narrative.

Anyway, the point he makes is a good one i.e. the efficiency of a company re-investing cashflow internally to compound returns rather than paying out cashflow as dividends, but then there are very few companies that can do this reliably over the long-term. And therein lies the problem. I'm not the greatest HYP fanatic in the world but even I can see it is an approach that works for many people to generate inflation proof long term income.

All the best, Si

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » October 5th, 2018, 5:47 pm

I've had a foot in both camps, I previously was very keen on Income focussed Investment Trusts fro about 20 years and I moved away from this approach on a gradual basis since 2011/2012 and ignoring yield has worked fine for me.

I have seen better value in Income investment trusts of late and have switched a significant sum back into trusts, decent discounts, generally good yields. If the market is to change direction, then a decent yield pays you in the meantime.

Time will tell of course if this is a good move but I can see either course will work, as a means of generating income, but drawing down on capital is far easier if you have a fair bit of capital in the first place ! If you have a need for income at a set level and without having a backstop of pension income or excess capital then a secure reliable dividend stream is very comforting.

Avantegarde
Lemon Slice

Postby Avantegarde » October 6th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Mr Smith's argument is mathematically persuasive. Until you ask yourself a question: just how good are companies at reinvesting their profits? No doubt some are. But there have been many examples of firms over the decades (often very big and seemingly very successful ones) which proceeded to spend too much money on vanity takeovers and the general enrichment of the top managers rather than genuine reinvestment in their own businesses. If you know for sure which firms should be supported for their reinvestment plans then fair enough. You can even hand over the job to Mr Smith via his funds. Otherwise, deciding for yourself what to do with dividends seems to me a very reasonable approach for the ordinary personal investor.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » October 7th, 2018, 11:46 am

Avantegarde wrote:Mr Smith's argument is mathematically persuasive. Until you ask yourself a question: just how good are companies at reinvesting their profits? No doubt some are. But there have been many examples of firms over the decades (often very big and seemingly very successful ones) which proceeded to spend too much money on vanity takeovers and the general enrichment of the top managers rather than genuine reinvestment in their own businesses. If you know for sure which firms should be supported for their reinvestment plans then fair enough. You can even hand over the job to Mr Smith via his funds. Otherwise, deciding for yourself what to do with dividends seems to me a very reasonable approach for the ordinary personal investor.

If you end up with a share that invokes your last sentence then, if you have long timescales i.e. looking for decades of reliable income, I would sound a note of caution.

I realise this is a sweeping generalisation but I fear that in the modern fast-moving and highly competitive world there is no company with a moat so robust as to protect it against future changes in its markets. Even the most solid-seeming companies need to re-invest money to either stay competitive or to gradually reposition themselves out of declining businesses. I really don't think there is a company where the management can sit happy in their boardrooms thinking "we've found a good thing here, all we need to do is distribute all our profits to shareholders" because there will almost certainly be an expiry date on those profits.

If one really is invested in one or more companies that are predominantly milking an existing fairly static business model for income with little investment in the future then I think that the investor him/herself needs to be mindful of that future and be prepared to jump ship before going down with it. Admittedly that might be in decades time rather than a handful of years but I see it as a danger of investing in companies that do not do sufficient evolutionary reinvestment of profit. This is one of the reasons why I am increasingly favouring income investment trusts or passive trackers since in the first (income IT) case I suspect I will be very bad at getting out of an individual HYP share that has been serving me well for many, many years if the time comes whereas a competent fund manager will be better at doing that and for the second (tracker) case the tides of fortune regarding who's-hot-and-who's-not are captured by the market valuations so I don't need to worry about getting out of individual holdings in that case either.

- Julian

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » October 7th, 2018, 5:07 pm

I decided that I would only have growth ITs, and a small number of shares, in my SIPP (which is in draw down), and Income ITs and shares (50/50) in my ISA.

I know it doesn't prove very much but my emprirical evidence has shown a significantly greater increase in value in the growth SIPP than the income ISA. This is only over a relatively short time but it does appear to support TS's contention. I should add that I have been a Fundsmith holder for a few years, it now represents about 12% of my SIPP and ranks 2nd only to Scottish Mortgage in performance over the time I have held.

I think for those of us who are not HYP zealots what TS says makes a lot of sense.

MM

PS - Fundsmith is my only non-IT, due to HL charges.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 8th, 2018, 11:54 am

Julian wrote:If you end up with a share that invokes your last sentence then, if you have long timescales i.e. looking for decades of reliable income, I would sound a note of caution.

I realise this is a sweeping generalisation but I fear that in the modern fast-moving and highly competitive world there is no company with a moat so robust as to protect it against future changes in its markets. Even the most solid-seeming companies need to re-invest money to either stay competitive or to gradually reposition themselves out of declining businesses. I really don't think there is a company where the management can sit happy in their boardrooms thinking "we've found a good thing here, all we need to do is distribute all our profits to shareholders" because there will almost certainly be an expiry date on those profits.

If one really is invested in one or more companies that are predominantly milking an existing fairly static business model for income with little investment in the future then I think that the investor him/herself needs to be mindful of that future and be prepared to jump ship before going down with it. ...

Yes and no, because there are two things wrong with that.

The first is simply that the investor might well not care if the company clearly has more decades left than the investor does!

The second is that as long as the company has long enough left and is paying a high enough yield, it can still be a worthwhile investment. For example, imagine that you had an occasionally-working crystal ball, and that on one of those occasions it showed you the future of a company whose shares are currently paying a dividend of 12p. That future is that it will go on paying a dividend of 12p for the next 25 years, at the end of which its business would collapse (maybe a competitor will manage to invent and patent a far superior product round then) and it would soon go bust, never paying a dividend or anything else again. It's not a public company and it's normally impossible to buy the shares, but an existing shareholder makes a private offer to you: you can buy some of her shares for 100p each (so you'll get a 12% yield on your investment). The snag is that she'll only do that if you legally commit yourself to only sell them to her in the future. No commitment to sell: she doesn't have an option over them, but if you want to sell in the future, you can only do so if she and you can arrive at a mutually agreeable price. Otherwise you're stuck with them.

Also suppose you are young and healthy enough to have a very high chance of getting the benefit of all 25 years of those dividends. Should you accept the offer? Your argument suggests you shouldn't: the ship is doomed to go down in the future, and you cannot jump ship before it does... (At least, assuming the seller refuses to offer you enough to make it worthwhile for you.)

But I would accept the offer, because it would be equivalent to giving me about 11.15% on my money. Specifically, if I could find a bank account offering an interest rate of 11.15% and I invested say £10k in it, then withdrew £1,200 at the end of each year, it would decline to a balance of about zero (*) over 25 years. At first quite slowly - at the end of year 1, it would be worth £10,000 + £1,115 - £1,200 = £9,915 - but accelerating as the balance declined and earned less interest.

So what's the resolution of that disagreement? The answer is basically revealed by that declining balance of a bank account that would deliver the same performance: the income from the investment needs to be treated as partly 'real' and available to pay living costs, buy extra luxuries or whatever else you want to do with it, and partly as 'jumping ship', i.e. supplying you with the capital to invest elsewhere.

That example is clearly very artificial, but its lesson is real: long, slow declines are not something to be frightened of as such - if a high dividend can be relied upon a long time into the future, treat it as jumping ship for you. In essence, the directors of such a company are saying "We can't find anything we can do with this money that fits in with our existing business and is sufficiently profitable, so you, the shareholders should have it back and look more widely for something else you want to be invested in."

There is however a danger associated with long, slow declines: as for anything else long-term, they're very hard to forecast. Companies that look to be headed for them may find a new lease of life from somewhere - e.g. oil & gas producers and tobacco companies both seem to face long-term declines in their primary markets, but may well find new leases of life from renewable energy and vaping respectively, and I at least would have had no idea that vaping even existed as an idea ten years ago, let alone seen it as a potential new lease of life for tobacco companies. And on the flip side, declines can accelerate: a long, slow decline can become anything but long and slow, especially if the company uses accounting sleight-of-hand to try to hide its real speed...

So while I don't think that long, slow declines are something to be frightened of as such, provided they're accompanied by sufficiently high dividend yields (**). But they are very hard to forecast reliably, in both directions, and therefore risky. But then, is there a method of selecting shares to invest in that isn't risky? To name but one example, companies like Unilever with respectable but a bit below-market-average yields that they're growing very respectably are often suggested. But in 2008, Tesco was in that sort of position: a 10.9p dividend on a share price in roughly the 300-450p range (depending on when during the year one was considering it) gave it a yield of very roughly 3%, and it had grown its dividend by about 13% that year and by about 11% per year on average over the preceding ten years. Someone who invested then at a yield of 3% (a share price of roughly 363p) will have received a bit under 25% of their investment back in dividends, despite them having grown substantially to over the next three years and continued for a total of six, and lost about 40% of their capital, so a decidedly negative rate of return. It will take a lot of future growth to get them to a position of having had a respectable rate of return overall...

Basically, I don't think there is any method of predicting a company's future that has a sufficient combination of being reliable and long-term to do more than give one a hint about its future returns, a hint that may well turn out to be wrong. One's only real protections against that are to diversify well enough to make the effects of any one failure on one's whole portfolio sufficiently small to be tolerable, and to pay a great deal of attention to the companies one owns to be able to get out quickly if they go wrong without paying too high a price in terms of getting out on 'false alarms'. The latter is quite a difficult test: it's relatively easy (though tedious!) to watch a company for any signs that it might be going wrong and get out if one sees them, but it requires a lot more effort and skill/talent to distinguish reliably enough between real and false signs of going wrong... As a result, applying both of those protections is likely to be a lot of work - certainly much more than I'd be happy to face - and so for most income investors, it becomes a question of which they concentrate on, if either: a really well-diversified portfolio, all or most of which they pay little attention to, or a more concentrated portfolio of shares that they pay more attention to, or they do neither and use a smallish basket of investment trusts or other funds, paying their managers to do the work for them.

I'm not saying anything about which of those solutions anyone should adopt, because I don't know! It's a very investor-specific choice... My own choice is basically about 50% in the first solution, in the form of a well-diversified HYP (roughly 40 shares), and 50% in the second, in the form of a more concentrated and more actively managed smallcaps portfolio (roughly 15-20 shares). The first gives me a good level of basic, pretty reliable income and takes up little of my effort; the second is more challenging on effort, but also more interesting to me, and some years it gives me a good amount of bonus income - occasionally it's even exceeded my HYP income for the year, but it's definitely not very reliable income! And by the way, my posting on TLF (and TMF before it) does not reflect the effort I put into them well - e.g. in the past couple of months, I'm certain that of the effort I've put into investment-related posts on TLF, nearly 100% was either HYP-specific or general investment stuff and almost none smallcaps-specific, but well over 90% of the effort I've put into actually managing my investments has been smallcaps-specific! That last percentage is unusually high, because one of my smallcaps, which was already my largest shareholding, has taken off recently to the point where I find continuing to just 'run my winner' too risky, so I need to trim it, and that's rather complex because it really is a smallcap, making market liquidity an issue, and also because it realises capital gains big enough to be a significant CGT problem... Those are problems I'm entirely happy to have, of course! - but they do require a very noticeable amount of effort on my part to manage them.

But I'm not recommending that solution to people - among other things, it requires one to be entirely happy with the HYP income on just half of one's investable capital, and to be willing and able to put in that sort of burst of effort when required.

(*) Actually £50.08 according to the spreadsheet calculation I've done, but that clearly comes nowhere near another year's £1,200 withdrawal. It's due to rounding errors in the 11.15% calculation - if taken to three decimal places, it's actually 11.145% that's needed, but that ends up with a balance of -£0.82. Or to four decimal places, it's 11.1451%, but that still ends up with a nonzero balance of £0.20. And so on.

(**) The 12% in my example is overkill in that regard, chosen to make the example very clear - a 9p dividend for 25 years and nothing more is still an effective 7.54% rate of return, which is perfectly respectable.

Gengulphus

WorldCupWilly

Postby WorldCupWilly » October 8th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Simoan said
I have noticed in the past that he's not immune to using information selectively where it supports a point he wants to make, or more generally "to talk his own book"

I think you're quite right about that: if you look at Terry's "Investable universe" they are typically lowish yielding stocks because (a) they are highly profitable businesses that can and do reinvest more of their profits for a higher excess returns on capital (i.e. after taking off their weighted average costs of capital) and (b) because their price reflects the fact that they generate higher excess returns so you are paying for high quality brands with track records, good moats and a high probability of ongoing success.

WCW

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » October 8th, 2018, 2:10 pm

WorldCupWilly wrote:Simoan said
I have noticed in the past that he's not immune to using information selectively where it supports a point he wants to make, or more generally "to talk his own book"

I think you're quite right about that: if you look at Terry's "Investable universe" they are typically lowish yielding stocks because (a) they are highly profitable businesses that can and do reinvest more of their profits for a higher excess returns on capital (i.e. after taking off their weighted average costs of capital) and (b) because their price reflects the fact that they generate higher excess returns so you are paying for high quality brands with track records, good moats and a high probability of ongoing success.

WCW

Yes, I understand his investment approach but this isn't what I was referring to with regard to "using information selectively". In the article I think it seems convenient that he's chosen a 10 year timescale i.e. the stockmarket period post the GFC, a period of record low interest rates where quality growth companies and bond proxies have done extremely well and more value oriented investment (of which one aspect is higher than average dividend yield) has suffered poor returns by comparison.

I'm just wary that if, as he describes, the capital approach to income works that well, it should work over a much greater time period than 10 years. I suspect if you use a longer timescale the evidence would not be quite so compelling as it is for the past 10 years. But then I'm just a sceptical old bugger... :-)

All the best, Si

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 8th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Howard

======================================

this came into my mind about 60 years ago.

it was clear to me i wouldnt need income from my investments - just cash when i needed it .

building up a pot of cash by investing for total returns seemed sensible.

taking the indiscriminate big company high yield route doesnt seem sensible at all .

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » October 8th, 2018, 10:59 pm

jackdaww wrote:

Howard

======================================

this came into my mind about 60 years ago.

it was clear to me i wouldnt need income from my investments - just cash when i needed it .

taking the indiscriminate big company high yield route doesnt seem sensible at all .

The trouble with this for me is that over the last few days my SIPP & ISA at HL have fallen in value by about £30k, that's half a year's worth of living expenses for my family. I would struggle mentally with having to sell in the face of this to realise cash to pay living expenses, as it is I know (or at least I anticipate) that my dividends will accumulate to meet the bills and I can try to remain somewhat indifferent to the ups and downs of the capital.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 9th, 2018, 4:54 am

langley59 wrote:
jackdaww wrote:
it was clear to me I wouldn't need income from my investments - just cash when i needed it .

taking the indiscriminate big company high yield route doesn't seem sensible at all.

The trouble with this for me is that over the last few days my SIPP & ISA at HL have fallen in value by about £30k, that's half a year's worth of living expenses for my family.

I would struggle mentally with having to sell in the face of this to realise cash to pay living expenses, as it is I know (or at least I anticipate) that my dividends will accumulate to meet the bills and I can try to remain somewhat indifferent to the ups and downs of the capital.

Which is fine, so long as your dividends hold up - however you can't know that will happen over any prolonged downturn, and if dividends broadly come under pressure, then we're back to square one....

Having an income-float helps to solve both of these issues, so you've got living expenses spare that you can use when required that both protect you from broad drops in company dividends and also means that you're not under pressure to sell investments in a falling (or fallen..) market.

Have a look at this thread, where Terry has recorded his dividends-per-unit back to 1988, and ask yourself what you'd do during a period similar to the 2009/2010 years, where broad dividend-income dropped sharply, and the subsequent years of recovery...

Note the 'Ordinary Divs/Unit' column between the years 2009 to 2016.....

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8189#p92575

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

WorldCupWilly

Postby WorldCupWilly » October 9th, 2018, 9:29 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Having an income-float helps to solve both of these issues, so you've got living expenses spare that you can use when required that both protect you from broad drops in company dividends and also means that you're not under pressure to sell investments in a falling (or fallen..) market.

I agree, the question for me is "how much"? I'm planning on starting "retirement" with a 2 years cash float with a view to keeping it topped up if my capital is growing and hoping that I can ride out any "correction" if it's not. Anyone else have a view on how much (in time) cash you'd ideally hold in retirement?

WCW

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » October 9th, 2018, 9:39 am

simoan wrote:Yes, I understand his investment approach but this isn't what I was referring to with regard to "using information selectively". In the article I think it seems convenient that he's chosen a 10 year timescale i.e. the stockmarket period post the GFC, a period of record low interest rates where quality growth companies and bond proxies have done extremely well and more value oriented investment (of which one aspect is higher than average dividend yield) has suffered poor returns by comparison.

I'm just wary that if, as he describes, the capital approach to income works that well, it should work over a much greater time period than 10 years. I suspect if you use a longer timescale the evidence would not be quite so compelling as it is for the past 10 years. But then I'm just a sceptical old bugger... :-)

All the best, Si

Some of us were suggesting this kind of approach ten years ago, before that period began: i.e. to use bonds for income and not follow the crowd into "high yield" stocks.

Perhaps Smith was also advocating this ten years ago and trying to demonstrate that his hunch was correct.

GS

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » October 9th, 2018, 10:00 am

Yes very good point about an income float Itsallaguess and the subsequent question posed by WCW about how much is critical. Maybe 2 years worth is enough to be able to ride out a period of dividend cuts, as the need is to make good a fallen dividend income to the previous higher level (plus inflation) not replace a full year's dividends. Perhaps thinking about this in the way an Investment Trust thinks about having reserves to smooth dividend payouts is the way to go. In any case I do not want to have too much cash not earning a return (given current and anticipated interest rates).

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » October 9th, 2018, 10:46 am

simoan wrote:

regards

Howard

Firstly, let me say that I have a large, long time holding in Fundsmith (it's now 12.5% of my equity investments) but that's not the same as saying I worship at the feet of Terry Smith. You don't have to like someone to invest in them - I like the investment approach of the fund but loathe the fact he is pro-brexit but lives in Mauritius, no doubt for tax reasons.

I have noticed in the past that he's not immune to using information selectively where it supports a point he wants to make, or more generally "to talk his own book" - there's no doubt he's a very good fund manager but also a really great salesman. I have often watched the Fundsmith AGM and been amazed at how weak the Q&A session was. It's a good job for Terry that I've never been, but then again, he might not like my question and avoid it unless it fitted into his own narrative.

Anyway, the point he makes is a good one i.e. the efficiency of a company re-investing cashflow internally to compound returns rather than paying out cashflow as dividends, but then there are very few companies that can do this reliably over the long-term. And therein lies the problem. I'm not the greatest HYP fanatic in the world but even I can see it is an approach that works for many people to generate inflation proof long term income.

All the best, Si

If it were true that companies could reliably re-invest cashflow internally to compound returns then those companies market cap would inevitably grow much much faster than companies which paid out dividends and hence would relatively quickly come to dominate share indexes like the FTSE 100. HYP investing would never work because non-dividend paying companies would take over the FTSE 100 so there would be no large cap dividend paying companies to invest in. But obviously that isn't true and the idea that non-dividend paying companies do better (ie that their share price and hence market cap grows more) than their dividend paying competitors over the long term is false. That isn't to say that investing in growth companies doesn't work but that such growth companies are likely to be either small companies trying to steal business from lots of other similar companies or larger companies which have recently moved into a new market which allows for growth rather than large established companies which already dominate their market. The problem being that for a small company or a large company re-inventing itself in a new market the chances of failure are also much greater hence such investing for growth may also be riskier.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » October 9th, 2018, 11:21 am

ursaminortaur wrote:
If it were true that companies could reliably re-invest cashflow internally to compound returns then those companies market cap would inevitably grow much much faster than companies which paid out dividends and hence would relatively quickly come to dominate share indexes like the FTSE 100. HYP investing would never work because non-dividend paying companies would take over the FTSE 100 so there would be no large cap dividend paying companies to invest in. But obviously that isn't true and the idea that non-dividend paying companies do better (ie that their share price and hence market cap grows more) than their dividend paying competitors over the long term is false. That isn't to say that investing in growth companies doesn't work but that such growth companies are likely to be either small companies trying to steal business from lots of other similar companies or larger companies which have recently moved into a new market which allows for growth rather than large established companies which already dominate their market. The problem being that for a small company or a large company re-inventing itself in a new market the chances of failure are also much greater hence such investing for growth may also be riskier.

You make a very valid point.

And as I suggested above, Warren Buffett invests in relatively high-dividend paying companies. So he obviously doesn't agree with Terry Smith.

Smith, however, has been very successful at selecting a concentrated portfolio of companies with high ROCEs. I'm not knocking his approach as I am a happy investor in Fundsmith. But its outperformance won't go on for ever as Smith has warned.

regards

Howard

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » October 9th, 2018, 11:34 am

GoSeigen wrote:Some of us were suggesting this kind of approach ten years ago, before that period began: i.e. to use bonds for income and not follow the crowd into "high yield" stocks.

Perhaps Smith was also advocating this ten years ago and trying to demonstrate that his hunch was correct.

GS

I know this not to be the case. At least Terry Smith is honest in admitting he has no idea what the future holds other than that the type of companies he buys and holds will prosper in the long run by the simple effect of compounding by re-investment of cashflows. And you don't even want to know what he thinks of investing in bonds!:-)

All the best, Si

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 10th, 2018, 7:43 am

WorldCupWilly wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:Having an income-float helps to solve both of these issues, so you've got living expenses spare that you can use when required that both protect you from broad drops in company dividends and also means that you're not under pressure to sell investments in a falling (or fallen..) market.

I agree, the question for me is "how much"? I'm planning on starting "retirement" with a 2 years cash float with a view to keeping it topped up if my capital is growing and hoping that I can ride out any "correction" if it's not. Anyone else have a view on how much (in time) cash you'd ideally hold in retirement?

Depends on just how extreme a drop you're aiming to be able to take in your stride, both as regards the size of the fall and how long it takes to recover from it, and on how much extra income you have over your actual needs before the fall. That last can make a big difference to how much of a cash reserve you need.

For instance, suppose you want to be able to take something like the following in your stride:

Year 1: Income 40% down on what your planning said it should be;
Year 2: Income 30% down on what your planning said it should be;
Year 3: Income 20% down on what your planning said it should be;
Year 4: Income 15% down on what your planning said it should be;
Year 5: Income 10% down on what your planning said it should be;
Year 6: Income 5% down on what your planning said it should be;
Years 7 and beyond: Income back to what your planning said it should be.

If what your planning said your income should be only just covers your actual needs, then that means that the income you actually get is 60%, 70%, 80%, 85%, 90% and 95% of your actual needs in those six years, and so your cash reserve needs to cover a sequence of shortfalls of 40%, 30%, 20%, 15%, 10% and 5% of a year's expenditure, totalling 120% of a year's expenditure, or 1.2 years of living expenses. Also note that you don't ever actually get to a position of replenishing the cash reserve.

If what your planning said your income should be is 10% more than your actual needs, then that means that the income you actually get is 66%, 77%, 88%, 93.5%, 99% and 104.5% of your actual needs in those six years, and so your cash reserve needs to cover a sequence of shortfalls of 34%, 23%, 12%, 6.5% and 1% of a year's expenditure, totalling 76.5% of a year's expenditure, or 0.765 years of living expenses. In the sixth year, you get to a position of being able to replenish a bit of the cash reserve you've used, and it takes just over another 7 years of replenishing it with 10% of a year of living expenses to replenish it fully.

If what your planning said your income should be is 20% more than your actual needs, then that means that the income you actually get is 72%, 84%, 96%, 102%, 108% and 114% of your actual needs in those six years, and so your cash reserve needs to cover a sequence of shortfalls of 28%, 16% and 4% of a year's expenditure, totalling 48% of a year's expenditure, or 0.48 years of living expenses. In the fourth year, you get to a position of being able to replenish a bit of the cash reserve you've used, you've replenished it with 24% of a year's expenditure by the end of the sixth year, and it takes just over another year of replenishing it with 20% of a year of living expenses to replenish it fully.

If what your planning said your income should be is 30% more than your actual needs, then that means that the income you actually get is 78%, 91%, 104%, 110.5%, 117% and 123.5% of your actual needs in those six years, and so your cash reserve needs to cover a sequence of shortfalls of 22% and 9% of a year's expenditure, totalling 31% of a year's expenditure, or 0.31 years of living expenses. In the third year, you get to a position of being able to replenish a bit of the cash reserve you've used, and you finish replenishing it just before the end of the fifth year.

And so on. The reductions in the maximum usage of the cash reserve become smaller as the safety margin of the income you're getting over what you actually need increases, and so do the reductions in the time required to fully replenish the cash reserve. Both eventually reach zero, when you have such a big safety margin (67% more income than you actually need) that even the initial 40% drop still leaves you with adequate income. But even a small safety margin like 10% more income than you actually need makes a very noticeable difference to how much cash reserve you need and how long you need to replenish it to be fully prepared for the possibility that it happens again.

Those calculations are rather simplistic - for instance, they don't take inflation into account - but give the general flavour of what happens for one scenario. That particular scenario is not too far from what happened to my own HYP during the financial crisis about a decade ago - its dividend income dropped by about a third in a year and with a bit more allowed to compensate for inflation, 40% is probably a bit more of a drop than it experienced. Just how quick the recovery was, I don't really know (*) but the schedule above doesn't seem too unreasonable.

To do the job properly, I would want to check out a few different scenarios - a prolonged period of high inflation with dividends taking quite a long time to start rising in line with inflation might be another, for instance. But generally speaking, I would always want at least some safety margin of the HYP-generated income over the income I actually required, to give a decent hope of replenishing the cash reserve afterwards if I did need to use it and to deal with something going wrong long-term: for an indefinitely-long impairment to the HYP's dividend income, the protection given by such a safety margin will last indefinitely, whereas any cash reserve will eventually dwindle to zero.

But I would also want a cash reserve, because that is the best way to deal with a shorter-term crisis: for instance, in the above, a year or two of required income (i.e. a cash reserve of maybe 4-8% of the HYP's value) will deal with the moderately short-term crisis, whereas a 67% safety margin (i.e. an extra 67% of the HYP's value in cash) is required to make it possible to cope without any cash reserve at all.

The net result is that I don't think your question is really answerable as you've posed it, because the required amount of cash reserve depends strongly on the size of your income safety margin (and vice versa). It's a matter of finding a combination of income safety margin and cash reserve that you're comfortable with. And it's important to consider multiple scenarios of what could go wrong and get a good balance of dealing with all of them.

(*) I was still building it up with capital from other sources for some time afterwards, so it would need to be unitised for me to get a proper idea - and I'm not even going to attempt retrospective unitisation that far back!

Gengulphus

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”