Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Dod's high yield portfolio

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Dod's high yield portfolio

Postby Dod101 » March 8th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Yee Wo

BAT = British American Tobacco

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 8th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Hi Dod,

Out of interest, I've run your portfolio through the new (soon to be released!) version of the HYPTUSS tool, just to give you a SECTOR / SUPER-SECTOR view of it -

The above is based on the 'Capital Weight' column in your original portfolio table.

Not sure how useful this is to you, but I just thought I'd show off the super-sector functionality of the next HYPTUSS release.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 8th, 2019, 1:09 pm

I'm still pickering about Mucklow. On the one hand I like the company, and the fact that it is still family run. On the other hand it doesn't quite stand out as more than middling compared with my other options. For example, I've plotted the dividends and they show a superb steady uptrend - just what the HYP asked for. THis would be a good steadying influence on my HYP income.... However, the upward trend is about 0.4% less than the average for my HYP total, and 1% less than City of London (over 6 years when I've got good records available). Conclusion: both HYP and CTY win for increasing dividends.

Yieldwise, it is borderline - though I'd swap this for reliability - and capital risk? Well, that depends on how one feels about a single company versus adding to CTY. Over more than five years, MKLW is superior to CTY by quite a bit, but over just 5, they are equal.

Finally, the size. I think the fact that the capitalisation is £320m is a handicap. So, curate's egg and I haven't convinced myself to buy - though I've been leaning towards it. Maybe one to think about if I axe a share from the HYP this year.

Arb.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » March 8th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I'm still pickering about Mucklow. On the one hand I like the company, and the fact that it is still family run. On the other hand it doesn't quite stand out as more than middling compared with my other options. For example, I've plotted the dividends and they show a superb steady uptrend - just what the HYP asked for. THis would be a good steadying influence on my HYP income.... However, the upward trend is about 0.4% less than the average for my HYP total, and 1% less than City of London (over 6 years when I've got good records available). Conclusion: both HYP and CTY win for increasing dividends.

Yieldwise, it is borderline - though I'd swap this for reliability - and capital risk? Well, that depends on how one feels about a single company versus adding to CTY. Over more than five years, MKLW is superior to CTY by quite a bit, but over just 5, they are equal.

Finally, the size. I think the fact that the capitalisation is £320m is a handicap. So, curate's egg and I haven't convinced myself to buy - though I've been leaning towards it. Maybe one to think about if I axe a share from the HYP this year.

Arb.

Arb,

I've looked at MKLW several times over the last two or three years, and always concluded that there are better, bigger, and higher-yielding REITs out there. BBOX and PHP, for instance. EBOX for some European REIT exposure. Or ESP. I hold all these, and recently topped-up BBOX.

MDW1954

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 8th, 2019, 2:28 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I'm still pickering about Mucklow. On the one hand I like the company, and the fact that it is still family run. On the other hand it doesn't quite stand out as more than middling compared with my other options. For example, I've plotted the dividends and they show a superb steady uptrend - just what the HYP asked for. THis would be a good steadying influence on my HYP income.... However, the upward trend is about 0.4% less than the average for my HYP total, and 1% less than City of London (over 6 years when I've got good records available). Conclusion: both HYP and CTY win for increasing dividends.

Arb.

Arb,

I've looked at MKLW several times over the last two or three years, and always concluded that there are better, bigger, and higher-yielding REITs out there. BBOX and PHP, for instance. EBOX for some European REIT exposure. Or ESP. I hold all these, and recently topped-up BBOX.

MDW1954

Yes, I'd rather agree that BBOX looks more HYPable. The only advantage of MKLW is the length of history, BBOX being rather new.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 8th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Conclusion: both HYP and CTY win for increasing dividends.
Arb.

Looks a fairly easy decision to me regarding a purchase of MKLW or "something else ".

However, whichever way you go will probably not make a massive difference to your divi stream overall so why not go for a slightly higher yield and for something that is not a single point (capital) risk?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 8th, 2019, 2:49 pm

monabri wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
Conclusion: both HYP and CTY win for increasing dividends.
Arb.

Looks a fairly easy decision to me regarding a purchase of MKLW or "something else ".

However, whichever way you go will probably not make a massive difference to your divi stream overall so why not go for a slightly higher yield and for something that is not a single point risk?

Nod nod, ;) ;)

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Postby YeeWo » March 8th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Dod101 wrote:Yee Wo, BAT = British American Tobacco, Dod
My, spectacularly foolish, oversight........I'll get my coat. :roll:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 8th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Itsallaguess

Thanks for that analysis. Looks interesting and I should maybe pay more attention to that. I must say I am very grateful to you for the tuition on how to post tables. For anyone who has not done so, it is very straightforward once you know how!

Dod

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » March 8th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Dod101 wrote:Itsallaguess

Thanks for that analysis. Looks interesting and I should maybe pay more attention to that. I must say I am very grateful to you for the tuition on how to post tables. For anyone who has not done so, it is very straightforward once you know how!

Dod

I'd better take a look, then. My attempts usually backfire! And I'm generally regarded as fairly computer-literate.

MDW1954

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 8th, 2019, 9:28 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
I must say I am very grateful to you for the tuition on how to post tables. For anyone who has not done so, it is very straightforward once you know how!

I'd better take a look, then. My attempts usually backfire! And I'm generally regarded as fairly computer-literate.

Here's the video-instructions that Dod followed, so hopefully they'll help you too - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16596

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » March 8th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
I must say I am very grateful to you for the tuition on how to post tables. For anyone who has not done so, it is very straightforward once you know how!

Here's the video-instructions that Dod followed, so hopefully they'll help you too - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16596

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Duly watched! What is the middle app? ie, Excel to something to TLF. But what is the something? (Apologies if it was in the soundtrack, but I didn't hear anything.)

MDW1954

peterh
2 Lemon pips

Postby peterh » March 8th, 2019, 10:02 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Duly watched! What is the middle app? ie, Excel to something to TLF. But what is the something? (Apologies if it was in the soundtrack, but I didn't hear anything.)

MDW1954

It's probably this: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/tableformat.html (scroll down a bit) - it's the second link after the vimeo one on the page in Itsallaguess' link.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 9th, 2019, 5:01 am

MDW1954 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

As peterh has kindly pointed out, it's the second link in the above instructions post, which is the TableFormat tool on our software site - http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/tableformat.html

The middle section in the video is using the two boxes near to the bottom of the above TableFormat page.

Don't forget we've got a Test Board here on the Lemon Fool, where you can mess about trying these processes out safely away from the main board areas - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=28

The Test Board gets cleared out periodically, so have a go at using the above instructions there to help gain some confidence with generating your tables.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » March 9th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Thanks, both!

MDW1954

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » March 19th, 2019, 10:19 pm

I've come late to this thread, but I noticed the large holding in L&G. Just to comment that L&G is my largest holding at c.8%+. Unfortunately I don't own Unilever!

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”