Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Whether HYP (as defined in the guidelines) works

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Whether HYP (as defined in the guidelines) works

Postby Itsallaguess » May 11th, 2019, 12:28 pm

moorfield wrote:
I've suggested elsewhere (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10780&p=127483&hilit=reverse#p127483), and we've discussed it before I think, to select 15 starting from lower (meaning >= FTSE100) to higher yield rather than higher to lower yield. Or put another way, reversing the order in which one's hard-earned capital can be seduced and (potentially) misallocated.

The same notes played, in a different order. But what do I know.

I don't think that's too far away from what many of us would do starting from the top though.....

All it would take would be to disregard some of what we might call ultra-high-yielders in a given top-down list, and then just work down as normal from a level of yield that we're comfortable with.

I'd suggest that many 'standard' HYP owners would use such an approach....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 11th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
The HYP strategy has a clear aim - to allow normal people with no investment background to pick up a very simple strategy that allows them, generally and over time, to see good income-returns with very little effort.

And there, in one clear sentence, is made evident the problem with HYP: it is promising something it cannot deliver. The idea that with no experience you can have a simple strategy to earn good returns with little effort is no different to the snake oil that any number of charlatans have sold to the gullible throughout history.

Easy money -- no effort or knowledge required!

GS

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » May 11th, 2019, 2:13 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
The HYP strategy has a clear aim - to allow normal people with no investment background to pick up a very simple strategy that allows them, generally and over time, to see good income-returns with very little effort.

And there, in one clear sentence, is made evident the problem with HYP: it is promising something it cannot deliver. The idea that with no experience you can have a simple strategy to earn good returns with little effort is no different to the snake oil that any number of charlatans have sold to the gullible throughout history.

GS

GoSeigen

I started investing with no experience, used a simple strategy and have earned good returns with little effort over the last 30 years. A lot of my initial investments would have qualified as HYP shares at the time I purchased them.

Several of my original HYP-style investments are worth more than ten times what I paid for them, throw off substantial dividends, and my portfolio has increased more than 8% per year. What have I been doing wrong? :D

Aren't the snake-oil salesmen those who say that investing is really complicated and they can forecast high returns for other strategies?

regards

Howard

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 11th, 2019, 2:14 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

And there, in one clear sentence, is made evident the problem with HYP: it is promising something it cannot deliver.

The idea that with no experience you can have a simple strategy to earn good returns with little effort is no different to the snake oil that any number of charlatans have sold to the gullible throughout history.

I don't think that's fair at all.

The effort and knowledge has been in the devising of the HYP Strategy...

There are retirees on this very board who have run income-investment strategies very similar to HYP, who are testament to the high-yield, portfolio-driven approach, so on what grounds do you think you're able to say that 'it cannot deliver'?

The HYP strategy isn't perfect, and it doesn't actually suit me personally as a one-stop shop, but I really don't think your view above is representable of the many income-investors who have used, and are using, such an income-investment strategy to help supplement their income.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 11th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:All it would take would be to disregard some of what we might call ultra-high-yielders in a given top-down list, and then just work down as normal from a level of yield that we're comfortable with.

I do agree. It shouldn't be difficult to establish a simple and helpful guideline of what an ultra-high-yielder is for (non) selection purposes; that of a high-yielder is after all well known and accepted (> FTSE100 yield). I've had the temerity to suggest (and been routinely flamed for) that could be twice the FTSE100 yield at the time, which would certainly rule out buying CNA, VOD today and very nearly IMB, SSE. Others I've engaged with on this put that multiple nearer 1.7x iirc. My suggestion to select upwards avoids needing to have the conversation with the HYP community, which I fear would go round in circles and end, as seems to be the form, with grumpy moderation.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 11th, 2019, 3:49 pm

moorfield wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:All it would take would be to disregard some of what we might call ultra-high-yielders in a given top-down list, and then just work down as normal from a level of yield that we're comfortable with.

I do agree. It shouldn't be difficult to establish a simple and helpful guideline of what an ultra-high-yielder is for (non) selection purposes; that of a high-yielder is after all well known and accepted (> FTSE100 yield). I've had the temerity to suggest (and been routinely flamed for) that could be twice the FTSE100 yield at the time, which would certainly rule out buying CNA, VOD today and very nearly IMB, SSE. Others I've engaged with on this put that multiple nearer 1.7x iirc. My suggestion to select upwards avoids needing to have the conversation with the HYP community, which I fear would go round in circles and end, as seems to be the form, with grumpy moderation.

I bought some PLUS on the recent ultra high yield of 30% - but that's not part of my HYP, it's my opinion I'll profit on price this year. I'd be surprised to get that yield.
My HYP selection criteria would rule out Centrica as a cutter and Vod for poor cover, others would let VOD through with their cash flow, I do hold both. I'll not put a limit on a maximum yield either absolute or as a function of FTSE 100 yield but I do look for safety, sustainability and rate of increase as important. I'd not rule put SSE or IMB because of the high yield, I hold enough of both; if I wasn't already full of utilities I might hold off from adding because of potential political risk but I doubt it and the tobaccos with such excellent dividend growth look good. We have to buy what we feel comfortable with and if that's high yield fair enough but is the evidence there?

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » May 11th, 2019, 4:03 pm

moorfield wrote:

surely that is covered by
Selection criteria may include the yield, the dividend record and a history of increases. Debt level and free cash flow should be considered. Personal feelings can affect the choice, including ethical considerations. Additional criteria may be used by individuals.

There is nothing stopping you setting a yield that you would look very closely at buying the share. I just checked my spreadsheet notes and have it "coded" as follows.

The "red value" is those shares lower than the FTSE250 share yield, taken from the FT website. The "blue value" is those shares greater than my
running yield. A manual check is whether the yield is too "high" defined as 2.5*FTSE 250 yield, added to warn on shares with SP dropping drastically prior to rate cuts or worse.

On my portfolio that is VOD,IGG, CNA,TW, SLA and IMB. Both SLA and IGG yields would make me look a lot closer at the companies as to the dividend direction, the others would be out.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 11th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Howard wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

GS

GoSeigen

I started investing with no experience, used a simple strategy and have earned good returns with little effort over the last 30 years. A lot of my initial investments would have qualified as HYP shares at the time I purchased them.

Several of my original HYP-style investments are worth more than ten times what I paid for them, throw off substantial dividends, and my portfolio has increased more than 8% per year. What have I been doing wrong? :D

You're a top investor. Well done.
Aren't the snake-oil salesmen those who say that investing is really complicated and they can forecast high returns for other strategies?

Yes they both are. Anyone who offers easy returns for minimal work and skill should be doubted.

GS

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 11th, 2019, 4:32 pm

seagles wrote:surely that is covered by
Selection criteria may include the yield, the dividend record and a history of increases. Debt level and free cash flow should be considered. Personal feelings can affect the choice, including ethical considerations. Additional criteria may be used by individuals.

I suppose you're right, but fwiw I've never thought "Personal feelings" or "Additional criteria" are particularly useful as guidelines or helpful to newbies (I could equally invoke those to explain why I think low yielders are acceptable additions into a HYP under some circumstances - which just winds people up). Partly why I've decided to avoid the other place now (except for the brief discussion on Centrica's yield).

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 11th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

And there, in one clear sentence, is made evident the problem with HYP: it is promising something it cannot deliver.

The idea that with no experience you can have a simple strategy to earn good returns with little effort is no different to the snake oil that any number of charlatans have sold to the gullible throughout history.

Cunning and sycophantic in equal measure! The suggestion is that if all investors (including professionals presumably) gave up what they are doing they would make plenty of money for less effort and study?

There are retirees on this very board who have run income-investment strategies very similar to HYP, who are testament to the high-yield, portfolio-driven approach, so on what grounds do you think you're able to say that 'it cannot deliver'?

Your logic is faulty. You have to demonstrate that there are no significant counter-examples (i.e. people who lost money trying to follow HYP, for however short a period) if you wish to present so facile an argument. There are numerous investors on these boards who regularly express difficulty with popular HYP shares that they have selected. I'm sure I don't need to reel off a list!

I certainly don't deny that there are individuals skilled in stock-picking or who got lucky or who have subtly and skilfully adjusted their strategy who have done well out of HYP or some mutation of the same.

The HYP strategy isn't perfect, and it doesn't actually suit me personally as a one-stop shop, but I really don't think your view above is representable of the many income-investors who have used, and are using, such an income-investment strategy to help supplement their income.

See previous comment.

GS
P.S. That will be the end of my contribution. I realise it's a bit rude to come to the club and slag it off... apologies for the interruption.

tramrider
2 Lemon pips

Postby tramrider » May 11th, 2019, 5:30 pm

GoSeigen wrote: Anyone who offers easy returns for minimal work and skill should be doubted.

GS

I think that there are "easy modest returns for minimal work and skill" available from quite a number of investment trusts. If you can get 4% or more yields with little effort, is it worth all the angst to go on the roller-coaster HYP route? I am coming to the conclusion that it is not.

At present, my IT portfolio has an XIRR of 9%, while my older exciting HYP portfolio of failures and mistakes has an XIRR of 4%. ;)

Tramrider

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 11th, 2019, 5:49 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:

Cunning and sycophantic in equal measure!

The suggestion is that if all investors (including professionals presumably) gave up what they are doing they would make plenty of money for less effort and study?

Well that's certainly not my suggestion, so it looks very much like a straw-man of your making to me.....

There's a huge difference between modest investment returns, which I do believe HYP's are capable of delivering, and what you seem to be suggesting as your high-return-comparison.

The comparison we should be making is where a potential investor might not think they are capable of even entering the market at all, to perhaps achieve even modest returns, and compare it with a situation where they might feel empowered to do so using a HYP.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 11th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Well, HYP seems to be working ok for this chap!

viewtopic.php?p=180276#p180276

and, another HYP

viewtopic.php?p=190982#p190982

and

viewtopic.php?p=207029#p207029

But there is only data for 18, 12 and 8 years respectively for these 3 separate HYPs.

Perhaps I should reference TJH's HYP..with even more years of data ... ;)

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » May 11th, 2019, 11:28 pm

tramrider wrote:
GoSeigen wrote: Anyone who offers easy returns for minimal work and skill should be doubted.

GS

I think that there are "easy modest returns for minimal work and skill" available from quite a number of investment trusts. If you can get 4% or more yields with little effort, is it worth all the angst to go on the roller-coaster HYP route? I am coming to the conclusion that it is not.

At present, my IT portfolio has an XIRR of 9%, while my older exciting HYP portfolio of failures and mistakes has an XIRR of 4%. ;)

Tramrider

Interesting. This is similar to my experience. Back in January 2011, due to a change in personal circumstances, I decided to gradually switch from an HYP approach to ITs, and I recently checked out my overall IT performance - Jan. 2011 to date. An XIRR of 10.8% works for me - not much 'excitement' but no alarums!

Not that HYP didn't do the job for me - it did - tiding me over through 9 years of early retirement until my pensions kicked in.

As others have noted, any given approach has its ups and downs. I speculate that 2002-2011 may have been a good period for some HYPers - thanks to the utilities.

pendas
2 Lemon pips

Postby pendas » May 12th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I fit the profile of the investor HYP is aimed at.

Mine was started in 2006 and has produced a XIRR of just over 5% since then. If I remove the effect of the worst performers, RBS, A&L, Carillion, Centrica and Wood Group (formerly Amec) the XIRR still rises to only 6.7%. It contains most of the usual suspects comprising 30+ shares.

Note that the XIRR is warts and all. It measures not only the existing portfolio performance, but those shares lost along the way.

The present value is below cost by over 2 years dividend income so there is a sense of paying dividends out of capital at the moment as others allude to. This is partly due to selling shares and repurchasing in ISAs over the last few years and basing losses on the new price. Any capital gains on sales have been accounted for in the XIRR figure. Overall there has been a capital gain but dividends make up the majority of the gain.

Income now exceeds the combined state and employment pensions I receive though it was started in order to bridge the 6 year gap while the state pension kicked in after retirement. The income rise is due both to reinvesting dividends and the injection of further capital along the way.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » May 12th, 2019, 3:09 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:

Cunning and sycophantic in equal measure! The suggestion is that if all investors (including professionals presumably) gave up what they are doing they would make plenty of money for less effort and study?

Your logic is faulty. You have to demonstrate that there are no significant counter-examples (i.e. people who lost money trying to follow HYP, for however short a period) if you wish to present so facile an argument. There are numerous investors on these boards who regularly express difficulty with popular HYP shares that they have selected. I'm sure I don't need to reel off a list!

I certainly don't deny that there are individuals skilled in stock-picking or who got lucky or who have subtly and skilfully adjusted their strategy who have done well out of HYP or some mutation of the same.

See previous comment.

GS
P.S. That will be the end of my contribution. I realise it's a bit rude to come to the club and slag it off... apologies for the interruption.

On the contrary GS, I think it is the most valuable thing one can do on a finance & investment forum , so that if folk choose to go down a HYP pathway then at least they do so with forewarning of the dangers.

In a perfect market high dividend returns would arise as a result of depressed prices. The prices would be depressed because the perfect market has priced in risk. So at best the high return would signify high risk. The HYP strategy professes to be a High Yield Portfolio (HYP) strategy and many find it attractive because of this. If on the other hand it were called a High Risk Portfolio (HRP) strategy - which is the other name for what the strategy is - then I doubt so many people would find it that attractive.

It could be worse, as it is possible to get low return and high risk, but at best in that perfect market high return ought ordinarily to correspond to high risk.

If one is taking a rounded view of a company then on any given day one would ordinarily look at the expectations for its capital, and for its dividend. But in purist HYP methodologies one only looks closely at capital at the time of acquisition. Thereafter one focuses almost exclusively on profit, indeed furthermore one focuses explicitly on dividend. So retained earnings that get used internally in a company (such as for growth) tend to get excluded. Therefore purist HYP portfolios tend to consist of companies that at best have run out of ideas as to how to use profits to grow; or at worst aren't growing - indeed they may be failing - and are instead returning capital to shareholders by way of dividends in a way that is unsustainable.

It is no surprise to me that there is longstanding anecdotal concern about the number of typical HYP candidates that blow up. Indeed it is what one would expect, especially if running a very concentrated portfolio. The more concentrated and the more one chases yield in making the initial acquisition decision, then the more blow ups one would expect. And if one is excluding the option of trading out of a share (because HYP purists tend towards LTBH only, except in exceptional circumstances) then one would get very little warning of this.

To the extent that successful HYP portfolios exist then I suggest that they exhibit one or more of the following characteristics:

1. They were bought when the market was not perfect, and most especially they were bought at times when the market valued growth over profitable yield;
2. They were bought by people who ran extremely thorough screens that - in effect - excluded high yield companies in favour of mid yield companies, irrespective of whether those screens are on formal metrics, informal 'culture, or both;
3. They - either at portfolio birth, or early in portfolio life - grew to contain so many stocks that they became in effect closet trackers of FTSE-100 or FTSE-350 (say, effectively, a FTSE-50);
4. They generally did pay attention to capital value of holdings, and so a) trimmed back (traded out of) holdings that grew too large; and/or b) exercised some process to dispose of holdings that had become too small. By doing so they avoided over-concentration in individual shares & sectors, and sold out of losers prior to complete failure.
5. But when a HYP screen threw up a high yielding candidate that otherwise passed the various tests, they took it for what it was, a signal that there might be a interesting investment opportunity that was being incorrectly assessed by the market, and they investigated further.

Put all that lot together and I don't think the successful portfolios are really HYP at all. I suspect that there is quite a lot of survivor bias in what we read here regarding HYP portfolios. One simply does not read much about folk that have found it does not work, or does not work for them. Furthermore I think that when you look at the points I make above and think about what the successful HYPers are doing, then what you really are seeing is that these people are being rounded and mature investors, and that really there is nothing about their approach that ought to be labelled "HYP" except that they take yield as an important (but not sole) metric in determining what is out of favor in the market on any given day, for unjustified reasons, and then picking that and subsequently trading in and out of it as they see fit.

I really do worry that HYP strategy is taken too literally, especially without understanding its natural corollary HRP. Remember, Yield = Risk.

Another factor that concerns me is the over-focus on UK main market shares. Because of factors that are pretty specific to the UK tax system & investment culture there are very few growth companies on the LSE Main Market. This means that there is a double structural imbalance against growth in almost any HYP portfolio.

Personally I think Total Return (TR) is important. For sure one can get TR by reinvesting dividends, but never in a month of Sundays would a HYP screen have thrown up (say) ARM (to pick something UK-based retrospectively that was very successful), or HUR (to pick something UK based that might or might not be successful), until too late to capture significant growth in value. Equally a HYP screen will not pick up those macro trends that can dramatically destroy value, with tobaccos being one such candidate at present, and banks having been one in the past.

So, on many counts, I personally think HYP is deeply flawed. Like most gems it is nonetheless of interest and value, but it is not at all perfect and can definitely be highly dangerous if used blindly. One of the really good things going for it is that it teaches an aversion to trading, and that is very important as we know that almost all investors - whether amateur or professional - lose money by trading. But there is a time to sell up & trade out, and a skillset in that which a HYPer would never learn. (It is also one I will profess I am not good at, so I respect all the more those who do it well).

Something that disappoints me is the degree to which there are squabbles - both here on TLF and historically on TMF - over what does and what does not constitute a HYP strategy and who is a true adherent to it. This really is bald people fighting over a comb, as in my opinion HYP is a very flawed strategy. Of the HYPers who contribute here I pay most attention to those HYPers who observe HYP only in the mildest possible way. It certainly ought not to be a dogma and is not worth bickering over.

Just some personal thoughts.

regards, dspp

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 12th, 2019, 3:24 pm

dspp wrote: One of the really good things going for it is that it teaches an aversion to trading, and that is very important as we know that almost all investors - whether amateur or professional - lose money by trading.

One of the original authors, or perhaps the original author, was a personal tax accountant and was advocating his idea as an alternative use for the 25% tax free lump sum at retirement. With it being a lump sum and quite a few years ago, it would not have been possible to invest using ISAs to any great extent. It would follow then that selling, even to rebalance would introduce the additional complication of capital gains tax. Is that the cause of the aversion to even occasional trading?

If the portfolio is ISA based, avoiding trading for CGT reasons is irrelevant.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » May 12th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Alaric wrote:
dspp wrote: One of the really good things going for it is that it teaches an aversion to trading, and that is very important as we know that almost all investors - whether amateur or professional - lose money by trading.

One of the original authors, or perhaps the original author, was a personal tax accountant and was advocating his idea as an alternative use for the 25% tax free lump sum at retirement. With it being a lump sum and quite a few years ago, it would not have been possible to invest using ISAs to any great extent. It would follow then that selling, even to rebalance would introduce the additional complication of capital gains tax. Is that the cause of the aversion to even occasional trading?

If the portfolio is ISA based, avoiding trading for CGT reasons is irrelevant.

I think that at the scale of most personal portfolios of retail investors most trading losses arise from bad decisions, and straightforward frictional costs, not from tax costs. And for professional managers the portfolios are not taxed on gains.

So minimising trading is a way of minimising friction, and minimising bad decisions.

regards, dspp

pendas
2 Lemon pips

Postby pendas » May 12th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Capital gain has unfortunately never been an issue for me even with shares held since privatisation or demutualisation days. (BT, Lloyds, Aviva)

I'm now left with a rump of 10 HYP shares in the taxable account all showing a capital loss after first selling those shares showing a gain over the last few years to fund ISAs. (The only share showing a capital gain in this account is an IT. Murray International, purchased in 2015 and showing an XIRR of 11%)

With a typical initial value per shareholding of 10 to 15k in a joint account there was rarely if ever sufficient gain over the holding period to go anywhere near breaching the annual CGT allowances regardless of which HYP shares I sold to fund 2 x ISAs.

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » May 14th, 2019, 10:52 pm

Given the length of discussions in the practical board with the minutiae of HYP investing and that no two portfolios are the same.... surely this goes against the spirit of “normal people with no investment background” and “simple” strategy. No disrespect but surely it is a strategy for enthusiasts ?

The man in the street , might be better served with half a dozen assorted income biased investment trusts, many have very long records of increasing dividends and the greater diversification, less need to follow the financial news.

I strongly suspect the average investor, with little investment background, will be overly concerned with the few shares that inevitably perform poorly, overlooking those that do well... I suspect it would be deeply uncomfortable for many.

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”