Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HYP dividend investing vs World Tracker drawdown

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYP dividend investing vs World Tracker drawdown

Postby absolutezero » March 14th, 2021, 1:10 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:But surely, dividends received and retained within the portfolio do not affect the number of Accumulation Units, which I thought was the measure in your original post on this subject?

Have I missed something?

Ian

I'm confused too. The only way in which the number of accumulation units would vary is if cash were withdrawn or added. Maybe that's what happened? Otherwise, only the price varies.

We'll have to see what TJH says. 8-)

Maybe he has used dividends to buy more shares (accumulation units)?

veeCodger1

Postby veeCodger1 » March 14th, 2021, 1:56 pm

baldchap wrote:I have found I am much happier in a limited number of 7 IT's (all beating VWRL over a 5 year period) with dividends of between 2 and 4% (pf 3%), which are providing about 30% less income than I was getting previously, but on the plus side with growth more than the lost income, which is fine in my accumulation stage.

Well done. This sounds like the ideal situation. Off course one cannot predict the future.
Do you mind if I ask what the names of 7 ITs are?
That is very good going that you were able to pick 7 that have been beat VWRL over a 5 year period.

VC

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 14th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:Yes, that is the rate of return from 31st Dec 2020 to the present day. Since that is less than 3 months and the market has risen, you get an exaggerated figure from XIRR. Really best confined to periods longer than a year.

TJH

I see, thanks. It would help my simple mind at least, if the IRR numbers were all to be dropped one line, then it would make sense to me. Mind you I doubt that the market has risen anything like 36%, not my portfolio anyway.

Dod

Mind you I doubt that the market has risen anything like 36%, not my portfolio anyway.
No, it doesn't need to. The IRR gives you what the rate of return is for the whole year, assuming that the rate of increase carries on being as good as Dec 2020 until now. Note, it isn't that the 36% the rate for the year prior to Dec 2020, which I believe is what you may have thought.

IRR numbers are misleading over short periods of time.

Arb.

Too many quotes inside each other fro me to edit this I think, but I do not understand how TJH's quote and Arb's can mean the same thing. I will anyway just leave it because apart from anything else, I want to watch the rugby at 3 pm.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 14th, 2021, 3:12 pm

absolutezero wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:But surely, dividends received and retained within the portfolio do not affect the number of Accumulation Units, which I thought was the measure in your original post on this subject?

Have I missed something?

Ian

I'm confused too. The only way in which the number of accumulation units would vary is if cash were withdrawn or added. Maybe that's what happened? Otherwise, only the price varies.

We'll have to see what TJH says. 8-)

Maybe he has used dividends to buy more shares (accumulation units)?

Indeed, but that wouldn't alter the number of accumulation units. That's the whole point - cash is retained inside the portfolio and used to buy more shares. Unless and until more cash is needed over and above what has resulted from retained dividends, the number of units remains the same.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 14th, 2021, 3:22 pm

Dod101 wrote:Too many quotes inside each other fro me to edit this I think, but I do not understand how TJH's quote and Arb's can mean the same thing. I will anyway just leave it because apart from anything else, I want to watch the rugby at 3 pm.

Dod

TJH and myself are saying the same thing - he says:
that is the rate of return from 31st Dec 2020 to the present day. Since that is less than 3 months and the market has risen, you get an exaggerated figure from XIRR. Really best confined to periods longer than a year.

The XIRR has taken the rise over 3 months and projected as though it would continue for a whole year hence. 3 months is too short a period and exagerrates the effect. To take silly example, if the rise had been 5% in one week, XIRR would assume a rate of increase of 5% per week compounded for the rest of the year, and tell you the XIRR was astonishingly high -that clearly isn't going to happen.
So, what Terry is saying is the same: 3 months (December 30 until now) doesn't give a credible answer.

Arb.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 14th, 2021, 3:22 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Too many quotes inside each other fro me to edit this I think, but I do not understand how TJH's quote and Arb's can mean the same thing. I will anyway just leave it because apart from anything else, I want to watch the rugby at 3 pm.

Dod

The period from end Dec 2020 until now is broadly speaking 1/4 of a year. IRR is a calculation over 1 year.

So (broadly but not accurately speaking - indeed it is a long way out but just for simple illustrative purposes) if the market has so far this year risen by about 9% then that is an IRR for that period of about 36%.

As has been said using IRR for short periods is misleading.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 14th, 2021, 5:17 pm

The question was about unitisation, and I replied about both kinds, as did Kiloran.

TJH

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 14th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Dod101 wrote:I see, thanks. It would help my simple mind at least, if the IRR numbers were all to be dropped one line, then it would make sense to me. Mind you I doubt that the market has risen anything like 36%, not my portfolio anyway.

Dod

Look at the top of the table, it is "Since" and so the figure are since the date, not to it.

Responding to other comments,
absolutezero wrote:Maybe he has used dividends to buy more shares (accumulation units)?

No, dividends roll up in accumulation units. They are only created or removed when money is paid in or withrawn from the portfolio.

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 14th, 2021, 5:25 pm

tjh290633 wrote:

The question was about unitisation, and I replied about both kinds, as did Kiloran.

TJH

Thanks, that explains it. I had fallen into the trap (based on Ian's quote) of believing you were writing about accumulation units only.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 14th, 2021, 9:46 pm

Thanks for the explanation re XIRR, so in fact it would really be better to omit the 36% altogether since it is entirely meaningless. The other XIRR figures are quite credible.

Dod

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 14th, 2021, 11:23 pm

veeCodger1 wrote:I am about 10 years off retirement, and have had a HYP for about 15 years. I realise the main aim of a HYP is an annuity replacement, with hopefully rising dividend.

I notice my total returns from the HYP are very poor when compared to a world tracker. Obviously, we cannot predict what future returns will be.

It makes me think:
1. During the accumulation phase, that most people would be better off having a world tracker rather than a primarily UK based HYP.
2. In retirement, rather than having a HYP, income comes from drawdown of the world tracker. Some sort of safety margin, as is the case with a HYP, would be needed.

My understanding is that a passive world tracker (e.g. VWRL) usually outperforms a basket of ITs. I have not seen any research to show the opposite.

My understanding is that a HYP is more suited for a Doris type person who wants an annuity replacement.

Any comments please?

VC

Berkshire Hathaway as a proxy for US, FT250 for UK, gold ... a third each. I like to benchmark that against Terry's TJH HYP accumulation ... i.e. total returns. Adding in MSCI World total returns and ...

MSCI world data from viewtopic.php?p=336469#p336469

The post I made immediately prior to that also shows some other comparisons .. FT100 for instance.

Terry rebalances/tweaks. The standard HYP doesn't. Broadly they might return similar overall total rewards but not rebalancing is risker, so same broad reward with more volatility (risk) is considered as a poorer risk adjusted reward. Running winners (not rebalancing) is nice, but leads to one or a few holdings becoming excessively weighted, so only nice having relatively more weighting in that/those until they turn around/down, at which point the higher weighting drags the whole portfolio down potentially heavily. So not rebalancing can pull ahead for a while, but then tends to dip back down again. Broadly might compare to rebalanced in reward, but at times maybe more, maybe less.

World took a larger hit during the dot com bubble burst 2003 type period ... because being weighted held relatively more exposure to dot com/US stock. 2009 financial crisis and World dipped less for UK investor as the Pound took quite a hit and holding US$ or other currencies helped reduced the losses from stocks. The UK being quite heavy into financials/banks was another factor.

Personally I like the diversity of some £ invested in FT250 which is small cap in US scale. Some US$ invested in US stocks, some gold (global currency and a commodity that can have multi-year inverse correlation to stocks i.e. do well when stocks do poorly). Broadly that has compared in reward to TJH HYP Accumulation, with less volatility along the way (better risk adjusted reward).

I prefer the SWR method of income production, taken out of total returns. For example with a 3% SWR you take 3% of the initial portfolio value as the first years income, and then increase that amount by inflation each year as the amount drawn in subsequent years. So a nice regular inflation adjusted income. Dividends in contrast can be volatile/variable.

My preference for holding BRK has seen that lag the broader S&P500 over recent times as dot com/tech stocks have been relatively high weightings in the S&P500 and have done very well. Had I held S&P500 instead then results would have been better. Over other periods it might/can swing the other way around - BRK for instance tends to drop less when the broader market falls.

Note that the above chart has calendar year data being compared against Terry's Fiscal year data. For fiscal year end 2021 (a few weeks time), and Terry's HYP has narrowed the gap right down again, i.e. tends to dip more, rebound strongly subsequently. Looking like being around 33% up for the fiscal year for instance, versus 16% for the 3-way.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 15th, 2021, 12:47 am

I dug out data for UK/US/gold three way equal split yearly rebalanced since 1970 and compared it to World (100% stock), total returns

The early years however, when inflation progressively rose up to around 25% levels had gold floating the portfolio well. To better align the two I therefore shifted the start date to that peak inflation date and the subsequent accumulation growth lines better aligned thereafter ....

That's for in effect FT All Share for UK, S&P500 for US type total returns data.

Just straight gold price only, no gold-interest (gold lending/borrowing, which can be around 7.5%/year in recent years).

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » March 15th, 2021, 7:50 am

1nvest wrote:
veeCodger1 wrote:I am about 10 years off retirement, and have had a HYP for about 15 years. I realise the main aim of a HYP is an annuity replacement, with hopefully rising dividend.

I notice my total returns from the HYP are very poor when compared to a world tracker. Obviously, we cannot predict what future returns will be.

It makes me think:
1. During the accumulation phase, that most people would be better off having a world tracker rather than a primarily UK based HYP.
2. In retirement, rather than having a HYP, income comes from drawdown of the world tracker. Some sort of safety margin, as is the case with a HYP, would be needed.

My understanding is that a passive world tracker (e.g. VWRL) usually outperforms a basket of ITs. I have not seen any research to show the opposite.

My understanding is that a HYP is more suited for a Doris type person who wants an annuity replacement.

Any comments please?

VC

Berkshire Hathaway as a proxy for US, FT250 for UK, gold ... a third each. I like to benchmark that against Terry's TJH HYP accumulation ... i.e. total returns. Adding in MSCI World total returns and ...

MSCI world data from viewtopic.php?p=336469#p336469

The post I made immediately prior to that also shows some other comparisons .. FT100 for instance.

Terry rebalances/tweaks. The standard HYP doesn't. Broadly they might return similar overall total rewards but not rebalancing is risker, so same broad reward with more volatility (risk) is considered as a poorer risk adjusted reward. Running winners (not rebalancing) is nice, but leads to one or a few holdings becoming excessively weighted, so only nice having relatively more weighting in that/those until they turn around/down, at which point the higher weighting drags the whole portfolio down potentially heavily. So not rebalancing can pull ahead for a while, but then tends to dip back down again. Broadly might compare to rebalanced in reward, but at times maybe more, maybe less.

World took a larger hit during the dot com bubble burst 2003 type period ... because being weighted held relatively more exposure to dot com/US stock. 2009 financial crisis and World dipped less for UK investor as the Pound took quite a hit and holding US$ or other currencies helped reduced the losses from stocks. The UK being quite heavy into financials/banks was another factor.

Personally I like the diversity of some £ invested in FT250 which is small cap in US scale. Some US$ invested in US stocks, some gold (global currency and a commodity that can have multi-year inverse correlation to stocks i.e. do well when stocks do poorly). Broadly that has compared in reward to TJH HYP Accumulation, with less volatility along the way (better risk adjusted reward).

I prefer the SWR method of income production, taken out of total returns. For example with a 3% SWR you take 3% of the initial portfolio value as the first years income, and then increase that amount by inflation each year as the amount drawn in subsequent years. So a nice regular inflation adjusted income. Dividends in contrast can be volatile/variable.

My preference for holding BRK has seen that lag the broader S&P500 over recent times as dot com/tech stocks have been relatively high weightings in the S&P500 and have done very well. Had I held S&P500 instead then results would have been better. Over other periods it might/can swing the other way around - BRK for instance tends to drop less when the broader market falls.

Note that the above chart has calendar year data being compared against Terry's Fiscal year data. For fiscal year end 2021 (a few weeks time), and Terry's HYP has narrowed the gap right down again, i.e. tends to dip more, rebound strongly subsequently. Looking like being around 33% up for the fiscal year for instance, versus 16% for the 3-way.

============================

yes , a good option for those wanting a regular income.

8-)

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » March 15th, 2021, 10:01 am

veeCodger1 wrote:Well done. This sounds like the ideal situation. Off course one cannot predict the future.
That is very good going that you were able to pick 7 that have been beat VWRL over a 5 year period.
VC

Hello VC, it was more of a natural evolution. I had always owned most of the 7 but they were buried in amongst a lot of high yielding poor performers.
When I moved to IT's I always had at least 12, and sometimes as many as 20.
I was tracking them all with the Trustnet charting tool, and after a while I started to wonder why I was chasing yield, and jumping in and out of distressed IT's for a quick buck?
Why was I happy with a 4-6% return over 5 years when I could get 10%+ long term. Was the IT offering a 10% annual returns some risky Reit?
No, it was a well respected global IT with a mediocre dividend that anyone would own with some confidence.
So, over time, mediocre performers have been rolled into those that have performed better long term (and behave no differently to the others in a correction).

Anyway, as of now 71% is in SAIN/JGGI/LTI/BNKR. The rest in Global, Asia and Biotech to give more exposure in those sections.
Scottish American and Bankers are really the benchmark (similar to VWRL).
Maybe too concentrated for some but I sleep like a baby now, (but admittedly with less dopamine hits).
Sorry, went on longer than I planned.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 15th, 2021, 10:17 am

baldchap wrote:
veeCodger1 wrote:Well done. This sounds like the ideal situation. Off course one cannot predict the future.
VC

Hello VC, it was more of a natural evolution. I had always owned most of the 7 but they were buried in amongst a lot of high yielding poor performers.
When I moved to IT's I always had at least 12, and sometimes as many as 20.
I was tracking them all with the Trustnet charting tool, and after a while I started to wonder why I was chasing yield, and jumping in and out of distressed IT's for a quick buck?
Why was I happy with a 4-6% return over 5 years when I could get 10%+ long term. Was the IT offering a 10% annual returns some risky Reit?
No, it was a well respected global IT with a mediocre dividend that anyone would own with some confidence.
So, over time, mediocre performers have been rolled into those that have performed better long term (and behave no differently to the others in a correction).

Anyway, as of now 71% is in SAIN/JGGI/LTI/BNKR. The rest in Global, Asia and Biotech to give more exposure in those sections.
Scottish American and Bankers are really the benchmark (similar to VWRL).
Maybe too concentrated for some but I sleep like a baby now, (but admittedly with less dopamine hits).
Sorry, went on longer than I planned.

Sounds very good. Personally, I would not advocate HYP or high yield in the accumulation stage either. My gut feeliong would be to go for the type of arrangement you have now. Down the years, I have noticed that the income and growth ITs in Trustnet regularly average lower growth than other sectors - that tells me something!

BTW, could you give a clearer answer to VCs question
- it would help us all.

Arb.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » March 15th, 2021, 10:31 am

funduffer wrote:
I think the current COVID crisis is testing HYP to the limit, with all the dividend cuts, and it may be that the volatility in dividends it has created will put some off the HYP approach. After all, one of the original attractions of HYP was that dividends were supposed to be much less volatile than capital values, but COVID may have put paid to that! The next 6-12 months will show what such a crisis can do to HYP, and whether a sensible reserving policy would have been sufficient to mitigate the sudden fall in dividends, or not. In the 2008-9 financial crisis dividends recovered relatively quickly and a sensible reserving policy would probably have seen little impact on regular retirement income. The same may or may not be true for the current COVID crisis.

The other approach is of course income IT's . Certainly, so far in this pandemic, they have shown, with their reserving policies, to be very capable of mitigating the recent high volatility of dividends.

FD

Well my income portfolio was only mildly down last calendar year in capital terms (-11.7% XIRR, -7.0% acc units, -12.2% inc units) the GFC was much worse (-37.2% XIRR, -37.4% acc units, -40.3% inc units) and so far this year I'm well up (+41.4% XIRR, +7.3% acc units +6.5% inc units) in capital terms.

On the income front I was down -29% in cash terms and -34% in dividend per accumulation unit and -40% in dividend per income unit which was worse than the GFC (-18%, -27.5%, -30.8% respectively) and interestingly in the GFC the capital values fell in 2008 and the dividends in 2009. This year dividends are on track to bounce back to close to or perhaps more than 2019 dividends which is a more rapid rebound than after the GFC - if the rest of the year turns out as well as the first 3-4 months (HYPTUSS is predicting dividends ahead of 2019 in cash terms I'm predicting slightly behind 2019).

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 15th, 2021, 10:57 am

jackdaww wrote:
1nvest wrote:I prefer the SWR method of income production, taken out of total returns.

I've notice with relative consistency that the sum of SWR + real > real alone. For instance perhaps 5% annualised real with no withdrawals, 3% SWR + 3% real with withdrawals (6% total). Perhaps that's a consequence of cost-averaging-out, or perhaps a element of compounding i.e. 3% initial SWR value inflated yearly tends to decrease over time, perhaps being just 2% after a decade/whatever. As such that is a declining risk over time.

Early years sequence of returns risk can be reduced via diversification, start with a safer asset allocation. Over time as the SWR % in effect reduces perhaps allow risk to be expanded. As such buy and hold, not rebalancing can be OK as typically that sees the weighting to stock expand. But then again if you have enough there's no need to take on additional risk. In which case taking SWR out of whatever asset(s) had performed the best each year will tend to realign weightings back towards target weightings.

Another choice is to start with a conservative SWR and then uplift that amount by inflation each year, or use the SWR % value, whichever is the higher. That way income is still consistent and at least inflation pacing, but more often increases ahead of inflation.

Ball park longer term history indicates that a 3% SWR tended to see 3% real gains on top of that - for a equal four way asset allocation of UK stock, US stock, Gold, Cash. That was a PWR - perpetual rate i.e. for all 50 year periods since 1896 that ended the 50 years with more than the inflation adjusted start date portfolio value. Whilst for those that dislike volatility in bad years it tended to lose relatively little. A form of 50/50 stock/bond type holding of sorts, with a less bumpy ride but that likely leaves less for heirs than all-stock. All a question of your objectives.

UK/US 50/50 has broadly compared to World. I guess the UK has quite worldwide exposure anyway as does the US. So depending upon your fancy (or whatever might be the more cost/tax efficient) that could be 50% world, 25% Cash, 25% gold.

If you'd prefer a very smooth ride/dislike downsides then a third each stocks (50/50 UK/US ... or just World), gold and cash historically had figures of 2.4% PWR + 2.6% real. 4% real with 0% SWR, 5% as SWR + real. If cash (T-Bills) is considered as being 'risk-free' which its far from not, then that's a better alternative to cash IMO. And if the average benefit from that, SWR + real of 5%, is considered as the risk-free rate then many stock heavier alternatives have seen considerable variability around that (relatively little more in view of the additional risk/volatility endured).

Basically just restating what Ben Graham said, adding some stocks to a otherwise all bond ... or adding some bonds to a otherwise all-stock, tends to be better than all stock (or all bond).

veeCodger1

Postby veeCodger1 » March 15th, 2021, 2:21 pm

1nvest wrote:
jackdaww wrote:
1nvest wrote:I prefer the SWR method of income production, taken out of total returns.

I've notice with relative consistency that the sum of SWR + real > real alone. For instance perhaps 5% annualised real with no withdrawals, 3% SWR + 3% real with withdrawals (6% total). Perhaps that's a consequence of cost-averaging-out, or perhaps a element of compounding i.e. 3% initial SWR value inflated yearly tends to decrease over time, perhaps being just 2% after a decade/whatever. As such that is a declining risk over time.

Early years sequence of returns risk can be reduced via diversification, start with a safer asset allocation. Over time as the SWR % in effect reduces perhaps allow risk to be expanded. As such buy and hold, not rebalancing can be OK as typically that sees the weighting to stock expand. But then again if you have enough there's no need to take on additional risk. In which case taking SWR out of whatever asset(s) had performed the best each year will tend to realign weightings back towards target weightings.

Another choice is to start with a conservative SWR and then uplift that amount by inflation each year, or use the SWR % value, whichever is the higher. That way income is still consistent and at least inflation pacing, but more often increases ahead of inflation.

Ball park longer term history indicates that a 3% SWR tended to see 3% real gains on top of that - for a equal four way asset allocation of UK stock, US stock, Gold, Cash. That was a PWR - perpetual rate i.e. for all 50 year periods since 1896 that ended the 50 years with more than the inflation adjusted start date portfolio value. Whilst for those that dislike volatility in bad years it tended to lose relatively little. A form of 50/50 stock/bond type holding of sorts, with a less bumpy ride but that likely leaves less for heirs than all-stock. All a question of your objectives.

UK/US 50/50 has broadly compared to World. I guess the UK has quite worldwide exposure anyway as does the US. So depending upon your fancy (or whatever might be the more cost/tax efficient) that could be 50% world, 25% Cash, 25% gold.

If you'd prefer a very smooth ride/dislike downsides then a third each stocks (50/50 UK/US ... or just World), gold and cash historically had figures of 2.4% PWR + 2.6% real. 4% real with 0% SWR, 5% as SWR + real. If cash (T-Bills) is considered as being 'risk-free' which its far from not, then that's a better alternative to cash IMO. And if the average benefit from that, SWR + real of 5%, is considered as the risk-free rate then many stock heavier alternatives have seen considerable variability around that (relatively little more in view of the additional risk/volatility endured).

Basically just restating what Ben Graham said, adding some stocks to a otherwise all bond ... or adding some bonds to a otherwise all-stock, tends to be better than all stock (or all bond).

I have seen you mention gold often, and I know it is contained in some well respected portfolios.

Can I ask, when you say gold, what exactly are you referring to that produces the above results?

For example, when I think of gold, I think of Ishares Physical Gold (SGLN) https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/i/ishares-physical-metals-physical-gold-etc

One thing the above has shown me is that I need to change my portfolio. I simply have not performed that well (mainly HYP based) and simple trackers did and hopefully in the future, will give a better total return.

I found your comments on the 3% SWR very interesting.

VC

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 15th, 2021, 4:30 pm

when you say gold, what exactly are you referring to that produces the above results?

Those figures are based on spot gold prices https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GOLDPMGBD229NLBM Typically physical gold and funds will reflect such prices. Similarly gold price in US$ will reflect the gold price in Pounds adjusted for the £/$ rate at the time.

In India there's far less faith in hard currency. Something that someone else can print/spend that gives the 'counterfeiter' benefit at the expense of devaluing all other notes in circulation. Banks are also a lot less trusted ... and now that the EU has opted to make depositors more liable for banks failings - with good reason many might say that trust should be questionable. So they prefer to hold something tangible and finite - gold as a currency, only converting when others wont accept that as payment. Gold lending is commonplace, where others will accept you depositing some gold as collateral in exchange for money and the payment of some interest, in a very flexible and easy manner. Typically up to 75% of the spot gold price at the time, and a 0.75%/month interest rate. Once repaid, they get their gold back. If gold is rising in price both parties are happy. So instead a investor that opts to hold some gold as part of their portfolio might do that via 'borrowing' other peoples gold to have on their books, and receive interest on top (0.75%/month = 10%/year). When that gold is returned (loan ends) they borrow from someone else to maintain their overall desired weighting into gold. Or failing that resort to actually buying some of their own that they might then later sell if someone else offers to 'lend their gold plus pay interest'.

In other cases some might borrow your gold. If they opine gold is heading down and they want to short gold they in effect have to borrow gold that they then sell in anticipation of buying back later at a lower price before returning the amount of gold they'd borrowed.

When money was backed by gold, pegged at a constant/fixed rate, it made more sense to convert gold to money and deposit the money to earn interest, and later when you converted that money + interest back into gold you had more ounces of gold than before. In effect the state was paying you in order for it to securely store your gold. When on the gold standard broadly there was no inflation, there were periods of both inflation and deflation in around equal measure that overall washed.

Many think gold is a dead weight that earns/pays nothing. You could for instance buy a farm and leave it idle and see its price broadly just rise with inflation. Or you could work the farm and produce dividends on top. The tendency is to see stocks are being a worked farm, whilst assuming gold is a unworked farm. As a alternative to gold-lending you might trade gold, which can be achieved as simply as setting target weightings for stocks and gold and rebalancing back to those weightings periodically, which tends to add-low/reduce-high. Historically at times its taken just a little over a ounce of gold to buy the Dow, at other times its taken 40+ ounces.

Yet another factor is taxes. Typically when inflation and interest rates are high so also will taxes tend to be above average. 10% inflation, 10% interest rate, 40% taxation and net that's -6%/year in real terms. When real yields are negative so many opt to rotate some into gold. When however real yields are positive they'll eject gold for the better alternatives. There's a degree of multi-year inverse correlation between stocks and gold. If you rebalance then typically as prices decline so you accumulate more ounces. As prices rise so you see fewer ounces being held, more stock shares being accumulated. Since 1972 (US data) and 50/50 stock/gold has provided near the same overall reward as 100% stock

Some hold a barbell of 1 year and 20 year gilts, that combined is much the same as holding a 10 year gilt bullet. 50/50 stock/gold is somewhat similar, two polar opposites that combine to be like a central bullet, something like a unhedged currency global bond. In that context 75/25 stock/gold is like a more volatile version of 50/50 stock/bonds. Many are perfectly OK with holding bonds where interest rates and taxes may be harshly against them, but would never dream of holding gold 'that earns nothing'.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 15th, 2021, 4:41 pm

veeCodger1 wrote:One thing the above has shown me is that I need to change my portfolio. I simply have not performed that well (mainly HYP based) and simple trackers did and hopefully in the future, will give a better total return.

Have a read about the Golden Butterfly, which is basically a Permanent Portfolio 80% allocation along with 20% stock. I'd modify that to eject out the least favourable asset at the time, leave as-is after purchasing and only rebalance when another asset looked unfavourable.

20% in each of FT250, S&P500, gold, cash, 20 year gilt standard GB for instance ... started at present and throw out the gilt element given such low current yields (so 25% each in FT250, S&P500, cash, gold). In 1980 when Dow/gold was near 1.0, eject out the gold. In 1999 when Dow/Gold ratio was very high as were stock valuations then chuck out one of the stock elements.

So review/reset after big stock declines or when valuations for any of the assets look unfavourable.

The standard GB might not reward as much as a stock heavy portfolio however the rewards tend to still be reasonable whilst enduring relatively small losses in years that see losses..

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”