Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (September 2022)

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (September 2022)

Postby Itsallaguess » September 1st, 2022, 7:04 am

Below is a table of AIC-listed Investment Trusts which yield 3.5% or higher as at September 1st 2022.

The table is shown grouped by AIC sector, and then ranked in descending order of yield for each sector, and also shows relevant Discount or Premium information, along with the 5-year dividend growth-rate for each Investment Trust, and with an additional column showing the relevant OCF charges including performance fees.

Please note - the company names in the table below are URL links to the respective AIC 'Portfolio' page for each investment, which will then show the underlying holdings, geographic breakdown, and other useful company-specific information. From there, other tabs on each AIC page can then lead to areas such as Overview, Performance, Dividends, Charges, and others...

If anyone wishes to replicate this type of data-set themselves at any time, there are some simple instructions at the bottom of this post on how to do that...

I've dip-checked the above data, but please do note that it should be used only as a starting-point for further investigation, and it should certainly be the case that you should carry out your own due-diligence on any data that you may use for any subsequent investment decisions that you might wish to make...

A good source to cross-check some of the above data, if anything does look interesting or even suspicious, is the TrustNet website, which also gives yield and discount information for these types of investments - https://www.trustnet.com/

Here are some instructions to be able to generate up-to-date yield-data in the future, using the above excellent AIC website -

1. Open the AIC website (https://tinyurl.com/yawfc9zy)

2. Select the 'Choose your AIC Sectors' button, and then click 'Deselect all sectors' and then 'Reselect all sectors, followed by a manual un-selection of all the lower 'VCT' sectors group.

3. From within the 'Sectors' window, select the link on the bottom right labelled 'Select your data points', which will then open the data-points selection window.

4. In the 'Data points' window, click 'Deselect all', and then manually select TIDM, Management Group, AIC Sector, Traded Currency, Total Assets, Discount/Premium, 5yr Div Growth Rate (% pa), Ongoing charge including performance fee, Dividend Cover (yrs), and Dividend Yield (%)

5. Close the 'Data points' window

6. Select the 'Finish and Save / Print' button, and in the window that appears, make sure to un-select the 'Include AIC sector weighted averages' box, and then select the box marked 'Enable Print Mode', before closing that window

7. The presented AIC data can now be copied and pasted into a spreadsheet, and then filtered by sector or yield as required.

• Please also note that if you don't select the 'Enable Print Mode' option during the above process, and you then try to copy the data into a spreadsheet, then it's likely to only copy some of the data...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

elfoolio

Re: High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (September 2022)

Postby elfoolio » September 3rd, 2022, 7:51 am

Thanks for posting that. I have a stupid question about yield. Take
BlackRock World Mining which has a yield of 7.41% according to
theaic.co.uk.

The dividends are typically around 5.5 (this means pence per share?),
paid 4 times a year, so about 22p per share per year. The price per
share is about 614p. That makes the yield 100*22/614 = 3.58%. Where
did the 7.41% come from?

Thanks

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 3rd, 2022, 8:10 am

elfoolio wrote:Thanks for posting that. I have a stupid question about yield. Take
theaic.co.uk.

did the 7.41% come from?

Thanks

"Typically" perhaps, but according to the AIC website, there was one of 27p, making 43.5 for the past four dividends added together. Does that help?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 3rd, 2022, 8:14 am

elfoolio wrote:
Thanks for posting that.

I have a stupid question about yield.

Take BlackRock World Mining which has a yield of 7.41% according to theaic.co.uk.

The dividends are typically around 5.5 (this means pence per share?), paid 4 times a year, so about 22p per share per year. The price per share is about 614p. That makes the yield 100*22/614 = 3.58%.

Where did the 7.41% come from?

BRWM isn't something that I'm too familiar with, but I've just taken a look at an alternative data-source which gives a broadly corroborated yield for BRWM of 7.18%, and which helpfully provides the details that they've used to generate that 7.18% yield figure -

Source - https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/investment-trust-dividend-yields.py?sort=&order=&yieldDetails=BRWM#BRWM

To help corroborate the above dividend figures, we can check the AIC site and see that their figures also align with the above four dividend payments, although note that they are listed in reverse order -

Source - https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/0P00008ZOQ/dividends

Does that help to explain things a little better, and at least help to provide a couple of checkable data-sources if you have similar yield-related queries in the future?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Last edited by Itsallaguess on September 3rd, 2022, 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Crazbe7
2 Lemon pips

Postby Crazbe7 » September 3rd, 2022, 8:15 am

elfoolio wrote:Thanks for posting that. I have a stupid question about yield. Take
theaic.co.uk.

did the 7.41% come from?

Thanks

Try this website, I assume others are available.

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/investme ... =BRWM#BRWM

Overall dividend 43.5p. Share price 606p. Therefore dividend 7.18%

Crazbe7

elfoolio

Postby elfoolio » September 3rd, 2022, 1:56 pm

Arborbridge, Itsallaguess, Crazbe7,

Thanks for your replies, they were helpful (and fast!). I should have realised that
dividend of 27p really pushed up the number.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » September 3rd, 2022, 6:17 pm

theaic.co.uk.

did the 7.41% come from?

Thanks

Typically, BRWM pays a modest dividend in Q1,Q2 and Q3. Q4 reflects the overall year's perfomance and can be significantly higher - as it was this year. But this can vary hugely from year to year. PersonalIy, am not counting on 27p this year. Bear in mind that AIC (and other sources) yields are based on the past - and are not predictions.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 5th, 2022, 8:45 am

Majedie (MAJE) is one that sticks out on that list - dividend cover 4.02 yrs, yield 6.27%.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » September 5th, 2022, 2:17 pm

Many thanks for this Post, very usefull. I have stopped buying ITs at present. Moved back to buying Prefs as they are now around my target yield of 6.5%
This gain means capital loss, which I ignore. I would also like to buy PIBS but H-L are not capable of this now. My mix is now 25% fixed interest Prefs and Pibs. 75% in Dividend shares and IT shares mostly ITs.

My thinking is that as there is no interest tax relief on mortgages the interest rates, cannot get as high as before, so my 6.5% target for my home made annuity should be reasonable.

I have been disappointed at the reducing HL share price and had noted that there has been regualar articles knocking them. I thought the compitition
may be paying for this, but it turns out, it is a number of Shorting Houses. Lets hope they get screwed and the shares rise. Saying that I did sell part of my holdings. The taxable element where I had a good gain to buy more Prefs, so I did not help.

Bob

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”