Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

An interesting set of market reactions

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Newroad
Lemon Quarter

An interesting set of market reactions

Postby Newroad » September 23rd, 2022, 8:10 pm

Evening All.

There are a number of threads on the site dealing with the UK mini-budget, today's US market etc. I won't duplicate those here. However, the specific market reactions have been more varied (and polarised) than I would have thought - both sources below the FT.

The following represents my pseudo-HYP, including expected upcoming purchases (BP., SSE, SGE).

Quite heavily affected as you might expect. Conversely, the following represents the family holdings in ISAs, JISAs and SIPP's.

A very different set of behaviours - a response you might almost call "good".

The two lists together - a far greater difference in behaviours than I expected :?

Regards, Newroad

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Re: An interesting set of market reactions

Postby NotSure » September 23rd, 2022, 9:41 pm

A lot depends on currency of assets. E.g. S&P down 1.7% today in stupid dollars. but in glorious sterling, its up by about 2%. Back of the net! :D

I bought a chunk of boring old USD corporate bonds this morning (just before Kwasi). Up 2.5% despite, in reality, probably dropping a bit.

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Re: An interesting set of market reactions

Postby Newroad » September 23rd, 2022, 9:51 pm

Indeed NotSure.

Strong dollar (and after the mini-budget, weaker sterling) is certainly part of it.

But even, say, VWRL was only around 60% US assets when I last checked. And those figures are quite different: a mean of around -2.5% for the first group and a mean of +0.4% for the second.

Regards, Newroad

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”