Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

TMF:2 dividend ITs MRCH & MUT.

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

TMF:2 dividend ITs MRCH & MUT.

Postby idpickering » December 2nd, 2017, 12:56 pm

...with higher yields than the FTSE 100.

When investors think of high dividend yields, stocks such as Royal Dutch Shell and GlaxoSmithKline usually come to mind. However, owning shares directly is not the only way to pick up big dividend cheques.

Investment trusts are publicly traded companies that own a portfolio of stocks. They’re designed to generate profits for shareholders by investing in the shares of other companies. They can be bought and sold in the same way as regular shares, and are a fantastic way to add diversification to your portfolio. And many reward their shareholders with big dividends, on a regular basis.

Today, I’m looking at two investment trusts that currently have higher yields than the FTSE 100 index.

http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2017/12 ... -ftse-100/

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: TMF:2 dividend investment trusts ....

Postby Raptor » December 2nd, 2017, 1:10 pm

Moderator Message:
TMF seem to have changed their system. If you click on the link and get a "single" sentence with a request to subscribe to read rest of article, go back to the link and click again you get the full article. If this is the way they are going forward will need to review posting links. Raptor.

TLF rules "Posting of links to 3rd party sites is acceptable where it is entirely relevant to the discussion. However, any links promoting a 3rd party site are not allowed"

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 2nd, 2017, 1:57 pm

Moderator wrote:TLF rules "Posting of links to 3rd party sites is acceptable where it is entirely relevant to the discussion

Could you clarify please. Does that mean where it is relevant to an existing discussion, or, does it mean, in order to initiate a discussion?

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » December 2nd, 2017, 2:12 pm

richfool wrote:Could you clarify please. Does that mean where it is relevant to an existing discussion, or, does it mean, in order to initiate a discussion?

Yeah, maybe just give your take or question about the article. Something that makes the post look like it's not just an ad for TMF. Forgive me ID, I may be unaware of the history here - Do you work for TMF or something?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 2nd, 2017, 2:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
Moderator Message:
TMF seem to have changed their system. If you click on the link and get a "single" sentence with a request to subscribe to read rest of article, go back to the link and click again you get the full article. If this is the way they are going forward will need to review posting links. Raptor.

TLF rules "Posting of links to 3rd party sites is acceptable where it is entirely relevant to the discussion. However, any links promoting a 3rd party site are not allowed"

Hello Raptor, if my posting links to articles on TMF is causing TLF issues then I shall cease doing so immediately. That was never my intention, but to initiate chat on these boards. Please let me know either way.

Regards,

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 2nd, 2017, 2:26 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:
richfool wrote:Could you clarify please. Does that mean where it is relevant to an existing discussion, or, does it mean, in order to initiate a discussion?

Yeah, maybe just give your take or question about the article. Something that makes the post look like it's not just an ad for TMF. Forgive me ID, I may be unaware of the history here - Do you work for TMF or something?

Ha ha! Definitely not. I'd been a Fool for a long time, and learnt a lot from the gang on the HYP Practical Board particularly. I've also found some of their (TMF) articles informative and thought provoking. My intention has always been to bring items of interest to those frequenting these boards, which I think some of their items are, in order to promote chatting about that item's contents.

Ian.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » December 2nd, 2017, 4:02 pm

Raptor wrote:
Moderator Message:

TBH TMF articles seem to have been little more than 'click bait' for some time now, they are short, superficial and all seem to end with something like
Looking for big dividends?
If you're looking for stocks that pay large dividends, check out The Motley Fool report Five Dividend Winners to Retire On.
The report lists five of the Fool's preferred FTSE 100 dividend stocks, and can be downloaded for FREE, with no obligation, simply by clicking here.

Just my personal view, but I think the only purpose is to get people to look at their other content.

Terry.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 2nd, 2017, 5:40 pm

richfool wrote:
Moderator wrote:TLF rules "Posting of links to 3rd party sites is acceptable where it is entirely relevant to the discussion

Could you clarify please. Does that mean where it is relevant to an existing discussion, or, does it mean, in order to initiate a discussion?

No problem with it initiating a discussion as long as it does not directly promote the site, for instance the only way to see it is by subsciption or there is a firewall. FT has a subscription firewall but you get around it by posting the "verbage" in your search machine.

Links to your own blogs is an instance that we do not allow unless it is in answer to someone else's question. Which is what that sentence was aiming at....

We had a lot of "problems" with posters simply posting links to thier blogs or other blog sites or rival forums, for no apparent reason other than to promote those sites. Now sorted.....

Raptor.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » December 2nd, 2017, 6:03 pm

Raptor wrote:No problem with it initiating a discussion as long as it does not directly promote the site, for instance the only way to see it is by subsciption or there is a firewall. FT has a subscription firewall but you get around it by posting the "verbage" in your search machine.

Links to your own blogs is an instance that we do not allow unless it is in answer to someone else's question. Which is what that sentence was aiming at....

We had a lot of "problems" with posters simply posting links to thier blogs or other blog sites or rival forums, for no apparent reason other than to promote those sites. Now sorted.....

Raptor.

My bold.

I find that a really interesting turn of phrase for a volunteer run site like TLF, are other forums really viewed as rivals?

Terry.

eyeball08
Lemon Pip

Postby eyeball08 » December 2nd, 2017, 9:20 pm

Ian I'm interested in reviewing stuff like this from the other Fool about IT's.
Would it be even more helpful to add, in the first post, that they are discussing Murray Income Trust and Merchants Trust: then we can decide if we need to go through the further hoops to see the discussion or not.
Just a thought, a suggestion, not criticism
eyeball

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 2nd, 2017, 10:24 pm

eyeball08 wrote:Ian I'm interested in reviewing stuff like this from the other Fool about IT's.
Would it be even more helpful to add, in the first post, that they are discussing Murray Income Trust and Merchants Trust: then we can decide if we need to go through the further hoops to see the discussion or not.
eyeball

Eyeball, if you want to view Motley Fool articles, you can find the listing here:
http://www.fool.co.uk/recent-headlines/

Otherwise The Lemon Fool board covering Investment Trusts is here:
viewforum.php?f=54

I much prefer the latter, - the Lemon Fool. It has a wide range of often knowledgeable contributors and contributions.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 3rd, 2017, 12:06 pm

eyeball08 wrote:Ian I'm interested in reviewing stuff like this from the other Fool about IT's.
eyeball

Thank you eyeball. Here's another one from TMF regarding Bankers Investment Trust, and Caledonia Investments, remember you do not have to subscribe to read this item, just refresh the page.

Looking for steady income? Consider these dividend investment trusts

For investors who have come to rely on equity income funds for safe, predictable, and growing income, investment trusts could hold an advantage over unit trusts and other open-ended funds.

Even during the recent financial crisis, when many companies were forced to cut their dividends or even stopped payouts altogether, many investment trusts managed to continue to increase their shareholder payouts. As such, there are a number of trusts with multi-decade-long track records of rising payouts today.

http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2017/12 ... nt-trusts/

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: TMF:2 dividend ITs MRCH & MUT.

Postby Raptor » December 3rd, 2017, 4:29 pm

Moderator Message:
Read the post and have updated the 1st post so we have MRCH and MUT in the title. Hope that helps. Raptor.

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”