Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

mccolls - a solid income buy ?

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: mccolls - a solid income buy ?

Postby jackdaww » January 14th, 2018, 8:43 am

jackdaww wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Smallish companies can do well but on principle I would not buy into McColls because I think anything in the retail sector is a no no. .

dod

=====================

i hope you're wrong on retail though - i hold conviviality , card factory , greggs, games workshop , all have done well.

not so good with moss bros and ramsdens , but no disaster there as of yet .

:)

==================================

since then , card factory has taken a hit from the market , which doesnt like retail at present .

i plan to add at this level depending on results due end january , the yield is about 5% .

moss have also fallen again - may sell these .

OTOH ramsdens have picked up and games workshop are holding up - still yielding 5% .

ps . none of these are in the carillion camp.

CommissarJones
Lemon Slice

Postby CommissarJones » January 16th, 2018, 9:09 pm

jackdaww wrote:since then , card factory has taken a hit from the market , which doesnt like retail at present .

i plan to add at this level depending on results due end january , the yield is about 5% .

CARD's annual results are scheduled for release on 10 April.

FWIW, I think the recent share-price slump was an overreaction. If CARD's underlying EBITDA for the current fiscal year were to come in at £93 million, the bottom of the range specified in the post-Christmas trading statement, that would be down all of 5.6% from the prior year - hardly the end of the world. The company is generating lots of cash and like-for-like store sales rose 2.7% in the fiscal year's first 11 months, which seems like a credible performance to me in the current consumer environment. It was also positive, in my view, to see directors/connected persons wade in after the decline and spend almost £100,000 to buy CARD stock.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » February 19th, 2018, 9:43 am

the SP is down 10% today , seemingly mostly due to the P&H collapse.

i see that as a one off , so topped up today at 225 having bought in 2015 at 140.

the integration of the acquired coop stores seems to be ok , as does the morrisons supply agreement .

dividend raised a bit , still yielding 4.5% .

i cant see the people who use these stores switching to the internet , these small shops are part of their lives , and possibly its a growing trend.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » March 9th, 2018, 9:21 am

jackdaww wrote:
jackdaww wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Smallish companies can do well but on principle I would not buy into McColls because I think anything in the retail sector is a no no. .

dod

=====================

i hope you're wrong on retail though - i hold conviviality , card factory , greggs, games workshop , all have done well.

not so good with moss bros and ramsdens , but no disaster there as of yet .

:)

==================================

-----------------------------

a surprise profit warning from conviviality has wrecked the share price .

fortunately (for me) i sold out earlier , ( i should have said ) because of negative comment from some commentators.

8-)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 27th, 2022, 1:14 pm

Not looking promising.

https://news.sky.com/story/convenience- ... e-12551995

"McColl's Retail Group, one of Britain's biggest convenience store chains, is racing to secure new funding to stave off a collapse that could put thousands of jobs at risk. Sky News has learnt that McColl's is working with advisers on attempts to find a buyer or third parties willing to inject fresh capital into the business. City sources said this weekend that McColl's had a matter of weeks to secure new funding, with millions of pounds of its bank debt being sold to hedge funds and few obvious options to guarantee its future."

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » February 27th, 2022, 2:06 pm

monabri wrote:Not looking promising.

https://news.sky.com/story/convenience- ... e-12551995

"McColl's Retail Group, one of Britain's biggest convenience store chains, is racing to secure new funding to stave off a collapse that could put thousands of jobs at risk. Sky News has learnt that McColl's is working with advisers on attempts to find a buyer or third parties willing to inject fresh capital into the business. City sources said this weekend that McColl's had a matter of weeks to secure new funding, with millions of pounds of its bank debt being sold to hedge funds and few obvious options to guarantee its future."

===========================

i did sell out of these many years ago , at some loss , but quite a lot was salvaged .

looks dead in the water now .

:(

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”