Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Energy Companies [SSE/CNA]

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
monabri
Lemon Half

Energy Companies [SSE/CNA]

Postby monabri » January 11th, 2018, 3:42 pm

I noticed that there had been some more "Diktat" (*) that potentially will have a knock-on effect on the energy suppliers

Alliance News Issued today [11/01/2018]
http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exch ... 86100.html

I was somewhat amused by the comments from the Committee Chairwomen (Reeves) directed at the Ofgem Chief Exec

“Committee Chairwoman Rachel Reeves accused Nolan of behaving "like a bystander rather than an active participant in the market" and challenged him over Ofgem staff bonuses, which reportedly totalled GBP921,000 in the 2015/2016 tax year”

(well, that's their leccy bill sorted then! ;) )

In addition, what also caught my eye was:-

"Data published by Ofgem in December showed that among Britain's six largest energy suppliers, SSE PLC had the largest percentage of customers on standard variable tariffs at 71%. British Gas, owned by Centrica PLC, had 67% of its customers on standard variable tariffs"

(*) certainly not popular with HYPers!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Energy Companies [SSE/CNA]

Postby Dod101 » January 11th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Yes but really nothing new and SSE, at least, is taking steps to offload the problem.

That only leaves the threat of nationalisation!

Dod

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Energy Companies [SSE/CNA]

Postby Gengulphus » January 12th, 2018, 11:57 am

monabri wrote:Alliance News Issued today [11/01/2018]
http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exch ... 86100.html

A brief quote of its first sentence told me what it's about:

"UK energy regulator Ofgem has said a plan to cap standard variable energy tariffs for millions of British households could be implemented by Christmas this year, the Independent newspaper reported on Wednesday."

That's enough to say to me that it's (a) speculative - "could" would be "will" if it weren't; (b) of little interest to those holding on a long-term basis - the fact that that's the plan is not news and short-term implementation timing differences of months or even a year or two make little difference to what happens in the long term.

As my holdings of the companies concerned are all HYP holdings, I lost interest and didn't read on. I might feel otherwise if e.g. I was running a Value trading strategy using high yield as a major indicator of value (as I once did, back in about 2000-2002). So I'm not saying this is off-topic here - it isn't! I'm instead using it as an example of how a HYPer can keep the time used tracking news about their HYP down - basically, an awful lot of such "news" is speculations rather than actually news, or is repetitions of earlier news with just a few snippets added, or cannot be expected to have any significant effect in the long term (*), or something similar. By being a bit ruthless about cutting such inessentials out of one's reading, one can spend a lot less time on it!

(*) Or judging whether it can is beyond what one can reasonably research - pharmaceuticals' announcements of the results of clinical trials are usually in that category IMHO, due to the expertise and time needed to understand their commercial significance, or lack thereof.

Gengulphus

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”