Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

How deep a pool to fish in for high yield shares

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Mercenary

Re: How deep a pool to fish in for high yield shares

Postby Mercenary » January 18th, 2018, 11:24 am

Wizard wrote:This exchange caught my eye on the Practical Board...

I'd welcome any thoughts others have.

Terry.

Funny timing that.

I created an ETF based HYP and a FTSE100 share only HYP five years ago and left them alone until now. Included in the ETF portfolio was the iShares IUKD ETF which selects high dividend payers down to the FTSE250. The FTSE100 share only portfolio had a good but not complete sector spread.

IUKD is up 15% and the FTSE100 is up 25%. The dividend yield advantage of IUKD was only some 2%! I feel like I paid a 10% gain for a 2% yield. So why did IUKD under perform? Mainly because some like the AA passed the ETF selection criteria only to fall by around 50%. But also worth noting on the chart is how the correlation between IUKD and the FTSE100 seems to have broken down since 2016, only maybe getting back in synch (at a lower level) since November 2017.

I'm now looking at an approach that cherry picks from the IUKD components, especially as I'm not convinced of the ETF's extra diversification benefits (the share only portfolio did just fine on that with only 15 stocks).

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 18th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Mercenary wrote: So why did IUKD under perform? Mainly because some like the AA passed the ETF selection criteria only to fall by around 50%.

The ETF, being based on an Index, is indiscriminate as to choice of stocks. High dividend paying stocks can be the equity equivalent of junk bonds. The running yield is high because of the default risk to capital.

Mercenary

Postby Mercenary » January 18th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Just to clarify on IUKD:

"The benchmark index measures the performance of UK equity securities within the FTSE 350 Index (excluding investment trusts) that are expected to pay higher dividends than other UK equity securities. The FTSE 350 Index comprises the largest 350 companies which trade on the London Stock Exchange. The benchmark index selects the top 50 equity securities based on their one-year forecast dividend yield and equity securities are included within the benchmark index based on their dividend yield".

I can't update my post re. the FTSE250.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 18th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Mercenary wrote:Just to clarify on IUKD:

"The benchmark index measures the performance of UK equity securities within the FTSE 350 Index (excluding investment trusts) that are expected to pay higher dividends than other UK equity securities.

It held Carillion of course. A bit over 2% of the total last February according to its accounts.

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » January 18th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Wizard wrote:My bold.

I hold IBM in my SIPP. I'd be interested to hear which US Companies you, or indeed anyone else, hold.

Terry.

Terry, nothing remarkable, like Flyer61 I am trying to buy quality companies for life.
Proctor & Gamble
Philip Morris
Coca Cola
Pfizer
General Electric

Also CVS Healthcare and Union Pacific, but they break my recent preference for international earnings. Tough call.

I will probably add more Staples and Healthcare over time.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 18th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Baldchap wrote:Terry, nothing remarkable, like Flyer61 I am trying to buy quality companies for life.
Proctor & Gamble
Philip Morris
Coca Cola
Pfizer
General Electric

Baldchap, have a look at NAIT (North American Income Trust). It holds a number of your preferred stocks in its top ten holdings. Page 20 of the Annual Report & Accounts lists the top twenty holdings.

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-searc ... -25p-share

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » January 19th, 2018, 6:14 am

richfool wrote: NAIT (North American Income Trust). It holds a number of your preferred stocks in its top ten holdings. Page 20 of the Annual Report & Accounts lists the top twenty holdings.

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-searc ... -25p-share

Thanks Richfool

I have browsed NAIT & BRNA, and as you say many holdings are covered. My problem is that they buy a lot of stuff I don't want, including about 25% financials (I view financials as others view tobacco!), and of course the fee is 1% annual on top of the initial stamp duty, not just when I buy.

That being said I do quite like IT's. They are a great way of owning International companies, and I am aware that in the long run they may outperform me :oops: , which is something I continue to monitor.

Cheers
BC

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 19th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Mercenary wrote:I created an ETF based HYP and a FTSE100 share only HYP five years ago and left them alone until now. Included in the ETF portfolio was the iShares IUKD ETF which selects high dividend payers down to the FTSE250. The FTSE100 share only portfolio had a good but not complete sector spread.

IUKD is up 15% and the FTSE100 is up 25%. The dividend yield advantage of IUKD was only some 2%!

Are the 15% and 25% total-return figures or capital-only figures? I think capital-only because they match what I see in 5-year charts of the IUKD share price and the FTSE100 index (which is a capital-only figure - there's a seldom-quoted total-return version), but am not certain because you might be talking about the two 'HYPs' you say you created, and the performance of an actual portfolio can differ from that of a share or index...

The reason I ask is because if they are total-return figures, they already take the ~2% yield advantage into account and contrasting them with it is effectively taking it into account one more time than it should be, but if (as I think) they are capital-only figures, then IUKD has had that extra ~2% in each of the last 5 years, totalling ~10%!

As a first approximation, that is. Compounding 2% for five years is actually about a 10.4% advantage, but more important, your phrase "some 2%" says that the 2% figure isn't very precise. If it's only accurate to the nearest percentage point, which is all I can be reasonably certain of from what you say, the precise figure could be anything from 1.5% to 2.5%, which compounded for five years means anything from about a 7.7% advantage to about a 13.1% advantage.

Also note that the outperformance of growing by 25% over growing by 15% is less than 10%. E.g. if two £100 investments grow by those amounts, to £125 and £115 respectively, then the first has outperformed by a factor of £125/£115 = about 1.087, i.e. by about 8.7%. That's towards the bottom of the above range of income advantages, but not below it. So on the figures you've given, it looks more likely to be IUKD that gave the better performance, but it also looks too close to be able to say for certain - and probably close enough that fairly short-term stockmarket movements could easily change the answer.

And even that's only a second approximation. Something fully accurate would need to take things like compounding between the capital return and the income return and the timing of the dividend payments into account - but I don't think those are likely to make a big enough difference to alter that 'probably IUKD, but really too close to call' conclusion.

And (IMHO) most important of all is the question of the investor's aims. If they're for instance considering investing £100k in a FTSE100 tracker with a 3% yield or in IUKD with a 5% yield, and they need to take £4k per year out of the investment, then a standing order to do that from the accumulated cash will do the job for IUKD without them having to pay any further attention - some further attention is advisable because they'll accumulate £1k cash per year, and leaving it uninvested will be a bit less than optimal, but nothing goes seriously wrong if they neglect to invest it. Doing the same for the FTSE100 tracker instead requires them to sell £1k worth of the tracker per year - and if they neglect to do that for too long, money they need doesn't arrive! So for an investor who wants a quiet life, without their investments demanding their attention, there may be reasons to prefer IUKD other than strictly financial ones.

Gengulphus

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”