Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

RPC Group (RPC)

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: RPC Group (RPC)

Postby PinkDalek » February 21st, 2019, 7:57 pm

Lootman wrote:Sometimes in these situations there is a rollover option, so that a taxable gain is not crystallised, so that's another possibility.

I've seen no mention of a loan note alternative or similar in the documents so far.

Reebus

Postby Reebus » February 21st, 2019, 7:58 pm

Many thanks to PinkDalek and Lootman for their information. I'll work on the assumption now that it won't happen this tax year.

And even if it does, I still hold my share of dogs (Premier Foods anyone) outside my ISA that I can use to offset CGT, but I'd prefer to not use them this time.

All the best, Reebus

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » February 22nd, 2019, 9:56 am

With the share price hovering just under 800p I'm toying with selling the half of my holding that's not tax-sheltered to take that gain in this tax year and utilise the cgt allowance, while hanging onto the sheltered half in the hope that there's a counter offer that might take the price a little higher.

Will be sorry to see them go - one of the few that I've made capital on. Most of my HYP-ish shares are under water; some substantially.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 22nd, 2019, 10:49 am

spiderbill wrote:With the share price hovering just under 800p I'm toying with selling the half of my holding that's not tax-sheltered to take that gain in this tax year and utilise the cgt allowance, while hanging onto the sheltered half in the hope that there's a counter offer that might take the price a little higher.

Will be sorry to see them go - one of the few that I've made capital on. Most of my HYP-ish shares are under water; some substantially.

Recycling some of your RPC (now yielding about 3.5%) capital into those now higher yeidling HYP-ish underwater shares should help with your income then and bank a cap gain. Seems like a good plan plan. Like you I mourn the loss a steady income machine.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 23rd, 2019, 6:55 pm

spiderbill wrote:With the share price hovering just under 800p I'm toying with selling the half of my holding that's not tax-sheltered to take that gain in this tax year and utilise the cgt allowance, while hanging onto the sheltered half in the hope that there's a counter offer that might take the price a little higher.

I'm in the same boat, but I did exactly that in the case of SKY only to see them end up with a much higher offer so it wasn't the best decision. Always a gamble. Difficult to know whether to hedge one's bets in this way or hang on to both and hope for better things. No idea how this one will play out but I have a feeling the institutions won't back Apollo's offer as one of those who said they would support it has now sold its entire holding. I am sitting on my hands pro tem.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 24th, 2019, 10:28 am

P.S. to previous:

Much depends on whether or not Apollo could raise their bid if Berry made an offer and it became a takeover situation rather than scheme of arrangement. If they can't and there is no other bidder on the horizon, Berry could raise their bid by 1p only in theory though I doubt they would do that, in which case selling half or even all one's holding now would make sense. Does anyone have a definitive answer to the question? One poster on ADVFN is certain Apollo can't up its offer but I thought I had read somewhere that they could under those circumstances.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » March 8th, 2019, 9:39 am

The RPC board have switched their recommended suitor on the takeover from Apollo to Berry at 793p, an improvement of just 11p.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/britains-rpc-group-agrees-acquired-071913508.html

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 8th, 2019, 10:04 am

Reebus wrote:I'll work on the assumption now that it won't happen this tax year.

This morning's RNS announcing the RECOMMENDED SUPERIOR CASH OFFER for RPC GROUP PLC by BERRY GLOBAL INTERNATIONAL HOLDINGS LIMITED may be found below:

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... 94851.html

For the purposes of your CGT issue, the announcement includes:

The Scheme is expected to become Effective early in the third quarter of 2019, subject to the satisfaction or (where applicable) waiver of the Conditions. Berry Bidco understands that its anti-trust requirements are the same as those required under the Apollo Offer and, based on extensive work so far, it anticipates that the timeline for completion of its transaction will be very close to Apollo's timeline.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 8th, 2019, 10:43 am

This is disgraceful, considering the s.p. was almost £10 in the autumn of 2017. What infuriates me is that they say they have agreed this bid, as if these incompetent and self-interested directors own the company; they do not! I shall be voting against.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 25th, 2019, 12:05 pm

So the F.D. sold 65,000 shares at £7.951 and the CEO sold 240,000 at prices ranging between 7.93 and 7.95 on 21 March and on 22March an RNS was published on RPCs website saying that Berry would not be increasing their offer unless another bidder came into view, which resulted in a drop in the s.p. Coincidence or what?

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » March 25th, 2019, 4:51 pm

In the immortal words of Leroy Jethro Gibbs

Rule #39: There is no such thing as coincidence.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”