Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

would you invest

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
SwissPaul
Lemon Pip

would you invest

Postby SwissPaul » May 28th, 2018, 12:29 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44274654
WH Smith voted UK's worst High Street shop in Which? surveyTop-rated shops, according to Which?
1.Lush, Savers, Smyths Toys
2.Screwfix, Toolstation
3.Bodycare, Richer Sounds
4.The Perfume Shop, Waterstones
5.The Body Shop, Dunelm, Ikea, John Lewis

Bottom-rated shops, according to Which?
1.WH Smith
2.Clintons
3.Evans, Sports Direct
4.Homebase/Bunnings
5.Toys R Us/Babies R Us (since closed down), JD Sports
6.Dorothy Perkins/Burton, Halfords (including Cycle Republic), Miss Selfridge, Ryman

thoughts?

Pastcaring
2 Lemon pips

Re: would you invest

Postby Pastcaring » June 15th, 2018, 1:54 pm

Was home base/ bunnings that bad?
I'm the proud owner of the parent company Wesfarmers (WES ).Sometimes it is called. the Australian BRK.

The bunnings model works great in Australia,sausage sizzles in the sunshine for local charities.

A new broom came in around 2 months ago,possibly longer.The usual,change everything and blame the last CEO.Home base was just written off and sold for £1 with a rider of 20% of future profits and profit from any on sale of Home base.Still not clear as they have not yet informed shareholders ( or I missed the announcement )

They are also divesting themselves of Coles ,probably the same as Tesco in the UK.They are still working on it and it should become clear in the next six months.Keep a 20% interest in it,give shareholders possibly 50% of the shares,and sell the rest to pension funds.The money providing a return of capital to shareholders.Time will tell.

They hit a record high today of $48. They've drifted for around 10 years since the GFC,hit a top of $45 and then dropped to around $14 at bottom.Came back to be range bound between $39 and $44 until the surge over the last week.

Thankfully I bought around 1998 and I am very patient,just kept reinvesting dividends.

During the drifting years there was a lot of unhappiness among shareholders,when is the price going to rise,when do we get an increase in dividends etc.

They operated under Rochdale co-op rules for around 80 years and then went through the hassle of changing to LTD company structure in 1984 and listed then.

To allay fears a huge chart went up on the wall,a $1000 investment on listing had turned into $300 K by 2016.True BRK performance,no more mumbling from shareholders.I knew they had been very good to me but I was shocked at that return.

During the 1930' s depression the co- op movement in the UK kept them going,until they ran into problems.Then Norwich Union stepped in with a loan for equity in the company.If only Norwich had held onto that holding,but,pension funds rule now.

The AGM is great,beer everywhere in keeping with the humble roots of a farmers co- op started in the late 1880s.

They even cut my chip butties into triangles for me.

Pastcaring
2 Lemon pips

Re: would you invest

Postby Pastcaring » June 15th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Forgot,the bit that I like,compounding.

After going bust 2 or 3 times due to lack of money they got their act together in 1914 and decided to raise money on a large scale.

25000 shares @ £1 each,10 Bob down , 5 Bob six months later , and 5 Bob six months after that. Failed miserably,no underwriters then so a few wealthy farmers had to take up around £6000 of shortfall.

Without reinvesting dividends and just being patient one share after splits etc is now worth around $2.3 million

There are some very wealthy farming families in WA,the main harvest being dividends from Wesfarmers .

The long term chant was never sell your shares in WES

I wonder why I like compounding so much

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”